Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Notices

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AotP Question Dump

Yet, the proper avenue to get official responses derive from Hasbro, at least according to Ethan Fleischer, one of the designers.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Now that I've solitaired the game in all three formats/maps (for a total of five games) and also played five face to face duels, its time to try and nail down some concepts and rules. As others have commented, while the Scape rules modules are tight, the MTG sections leave much unsaid. I'm only asking questions here that I'm not sure about; others we have successfully decided/inferred how to play. Here we go...my own proposed answers are in parentheses.

1. Can army card abilities be used on a turn in addition to a 'regular' die attack? Does this include army card abilities which do damage like attacks?

"Each figure can attack only once... Some figures have abilities that allow them to attack more than once." (How To Attack p. 7). Since this game does not use Special Attacks, I'd guess yes. An example would be Liliana Snuff Out. (Yes).

2. Here I'm going to bundle several questions and specific card references in search of a missing general rule on Spell Card use.

Can spell cards of one color be assigned to army cards of another?

In the case of harmful effects, the answer is clearly yes, as they are meant to be played on other players, including other Planeswalkers (PWs). An example would be Lilliana's Crippling Blight. But...

A) Can those of beneficial effects bonus up other color/mana army cards for another player? (Yes).

B) What about team games--can you play cards on your ally to aid them for beneficial effect? (Yes).

C) Can Misdirection (Blue) be played to reassign a card of a different color? Can it be played on another player? Could, say, it move a green spell card assigned to a green army card onto a target white army card? (Yes and yes).

D) For Blue's Talent of the Telepath, when you actually play another player's/color's card, can it affect any target, including its original owner? (Yes).

In general, it seems that anything goes, except for cards which specify a user's, card's, or target's color, such that it can't be played by you if you are not of that color. (Red's cards are particularly protected this way in general). So the missing general rule might go something like this:

Any Spell Card played by another color Planeswalker has its original effect against any color target, including its own. This is not allowed if a specific color is required for its use other than that of the player using it.

3. Can you play an Enchantment on a squad not yet summoned? This is a controversy on boardgamegeek, where some say yes and some no. (I'd say no).

4. Can you cast spells during Step 1 of the Turn, even if later you do not choose your Planeswalker as your army card to be activated? (Yes; otherwise why is this step included?)

5. Can you cast spells during Turn Actions 3 and 6 if you have not previously selected your Planeswalker as your activated army card this turn? (No)?

These last two could be ruled as follows under such a missing general rule such as: During Turn Action 1 you may use any Spell Card, but after you have chosen your activated card for that turn, then in Turn Actions 3 and 6 you may only use Spell Cards if you have previously chosen your Planeswalker that turn during Action 2.

6. Can Restless Zombies attempt to return to the board from your Graveyard if the Black Plainswalker player has lost his Planeswalker?

(No. Because the RZ Army Card here is worded "At the start of the tun of a black Planeswalker you control").

Note that a Flamewing Phoenix could likewise not return after the Red PW is killed, as no Sorcery card could be discarded. Or could it? Without you PW you can't play one, but since the rules don't tell you technically to discard your remaining spell cards after your PW is killed, can you discard one that had already been drawn into your hand? (No).

7. Are wounds kept on your creatures if they are sent off the table?

(Yes, if sent back to your Reserve, no if sent to your Graveyard).

8. Are assigned Enchant Squad Spell Cards treated the same? (Yes).

9. The Red Circle of Flame card reads "Deal 1 damage to target figure adjacent to a figure you control that has one or more damage markers. Who must be previously damaged, your target or your figure? (Your figure;otherwise it would have been written differently).
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
7. Are wounds kept on your creatures if they are sent off the table?

(Yes, if sent back to your Reserve, no if sent to your Graveyard).
Page 13 of the rulebook says wounds are removed when unique squad creatures are returned to the reserve.

I think that may ask more questions than it answers though. What about anything that's not a unique squad? The expansions are going to have to come with more rules that cover that kind of thing. Its weird that so much would be overlooked in the rules of a game that's a spinoff of Magic, which basically taught me to be a rules lawyer.

Last edited by Hogg; August 23rd, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 02:09 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Magic, which basically taught me to be a rules lawyer.
QFT! (Quoted for truth)

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
5. Can you cast spells during Turn Actions 3 and 6 if you have not previously selected your Planeswalker as your activated army card this turn? (No)?
I say Yes.

I don't see anywhere in the rules that says you can't play a spell card(s) after Step 2 if you didn't choose your Planeswalker army card. On page 7, under "Planeswalker Rules" it says:
If your Planeswalker is destroyed, you cannot play or draw spell cards.

So if you activate a creature army card, you can still cast spells before you start moving the figure(s), and/or after you finish attaking with the figure(s), of the chosen army card, as long as your Planeswalker is still on the battlefield.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 23rd, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 24th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I imagine the turn order works in three blocks, really two blocks where one is split.
Magic
Heroscape
Magic
=
Draw and play spells
Activate figure, move, attack
Play spells, discard down to 7 cards

Old August 26th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
I imagine the turn order works in three blocks, really two blocks where one is split.
Magic
Heroscape
Magic
=
Draw and play spells
Activate figure, move, attack
Play spells, discard down to 7 cards
I've been playing spells like this:

1) Draw a spell card (if your draw pile is not empty and your Planeswalker is on the battlefield), then play spell(s)*.

2) Choose an army card, then summon up to 2 creature army cards if Planeswalker was chosen, then play spell(s)*. (Playing spells here is helpful for something freshly summoned, since I don't think it's allowed to play spells on any army cards still in reserve.)

3) Move figure(s) on your army card. (optional)

4) Attack with figure(s) on your army card (optional), then play spell(s)*, then bring hand of spell cards down to 7 if holding more than 7.

5) Move the turn marker on the turn track to the next number.

* Limit of 3 spells per turn.

And remember, if your Planeswalker dies during your turn, and the victory condition is something other than a dead Planeswalker, then you can't play any more spell cards for the remainder of that turn and future turns. Only your untriggered hidden spell cards can still be played when triggered, from that point forward.

Also, you can think of Summoning as an additional ability printed on every Planeswalker army card, but to save space on their cards, it's in the rulebook (similar to Super Strength in Marvelscape).
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Hidden Enchantments: Is flipping a must if conditions are met?

Old August 26th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yes. The rules go on to say that if you snooze and don't flip it over when it's triggered, you miss out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:38 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
Hidden Enchantments: Is flipping a must if conditions are met?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Yes. The rules go on to say that if you snooze and don't flip it over when it's triggered, you miss out.
Quozl is correct. You must flip over hidden enchants when they trigger. If you miss the trigger, you lose the enchantment entirely so it cannot be abused as an "if" trigger.
Old August 27th, 2015, 01:17 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you guys remember I had asked hasbro about the blazing firecats and if you could play an enchantment before having to attack with the hasted cat and they originally said they couldn't answer and that they'd forward the question onto people that would know. Well I finally got an answer 9 days later:

Response By Email (Jenn) (08/27/2015 08:11 AM)
Hi gamjuven,

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc., in regards to the Arena of the Planeswalker Game.

I am pleased to reply but regret to advise that the information you have requested is not readily available.

I am sharing your question with those internal parties who are more familiar with this piece of our business. I will respond to you, as soon as I receive the information from them.

Brad, thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards"

Well so much for that . I thought it would have been a fairly easy question to answer.
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Sounds like CVN is busy and there isn't yet someone like theGuru working there on AotP. At least they aren't just making things up and giving half-answers.

This implies, to me, that they are looking to centralize AotP answers and do them right (even if a bit slow, initially).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs