Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 14th, 2019, 11:09 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Crypolith) - Pod 0 - Design

I agree that making them a Destructible Object is preferable over making another terrain piece in the vein of the Jungle Bushes, especially since as NecroBlade mentioned, they won't be providing much cover from line of sight.

Visually, I think that the towers look perfect for some kind of a sci-fi tower, which inherently won't have the same kind of visual unity as snow being slow, lava hurting, or road being fast. So long as the rule is simple, thematic, and easy to remember, I see no problem with taking a small liberty here for the sake of gameplay.

I might also be alone in this, but the first time I saw the Cryptoliths, I never thought that you were supposed to put figures on top of them. In my mind, it isn't any more logical to have them climbable than it is to have a small gameplay effect like the bushes, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.
Old May 14th, 2019, 08:46 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
What do you suggest we do with them, AYP? I wouldn’t even be opposed if they weren’t DO’s at all, but simply terrain pieces like the jungle bushes.
The climbing and destructibility, with either autowounds or a chance to wound figures on top when it falls, are the sort of direction I'm more interested in. Either way I would prefer them to be DOs, though I may need to re-read those rules when evaluating an implementation.

And again, since I know I'm in the minority here I don't plan to absolutely reject any type of aura, but simply to register that I don't agree with that design choice. On the other hand, I am absolutely opposed to a Thorian aura, as that is far too oppressive an anti-ranged measure to attach to a DO or piece of terrain.
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:30 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

A Thorian aura does at least provide some counterplay if the opponent can still attack the towers from afar, but that feels a little too powerful for a terrain piece to me.

We also do have the jungle bushes: as much as I'd rather help melee than ranged with the new terrain type, there's just as much overlap in making an anti-range aura as there is in making a climbable tower.
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:39 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Would you like any sort of power attached to them, AYP?
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:53 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Would you like any sort of power attached to them, AYP?
I'm willing to concede the point of having a power attached, and I think it's within this group's power to come up with a fun and interesting one. I don't think a Thorian aura is it, though.
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:06 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I can see that. What about if we go with a more chaotic angle? As in, time and space gets wonky around them.
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:02 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

How about an "unstable footing" power that knocks the figure off the top when the DO is wounded (controller must place adjacent to the tower, falling damage applies)?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 19th, 2019, 12:26 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Something with unstable footing sounds cool, NB.

My general design goals would be:
* Leave balance up to map designers
* But also make something that is balance-able
* Make it climbable
* Make it destructible

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 19th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Unstable footing can work. We should include wording that would force flyers to potentially take falling damage, if we go that route. Smacking a 4-5-6 Defense DO should earn you a chance at a wound vs Raelin.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:39 PM

An unstable footing downside eases some of my concerns about making another set of towers for the game, but it still isn't my favorite direction in general. I'm willing to be outvoted on this if everyone else prefers the towers over a simple power, though.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:44 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Scaling is necessary, IMO, but I think we can get away without Sighting. Iirc, that would make it possible to stand at the base of the tower and hack at it while a figure on top is unable to see you (another way to mitigate its advantages as climbable). We could then do Unstable Footing and maybe one other power if we feel the need to go that direction?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Something important to remember is that we need to decide if these DO’s should be toggled on or off. I argue that mapmakers should be allowed to toggle them, to improve the odds that they are balance-able and to allow mapmakers to use them as direct LoS blockers (handy for LoS poor battlefields).

I was thinking a powerset that combine several bits and bobbles from this thread. Here’s what I’ve got:

Quote:
Crypolith Rules: Figures can not move or be placed on top of a Crypolith except by the Crypolith Warp Field Special power on the Crypolith Destructible Army Card.

Crypoliths have a height of 9.

Crypolith Optional Rule: Any scenarios you design may allow using the Crypolith Destructible Object Rules, or may not use the Crypolith Destructible Object Rules and use them as obstacles to block Line of Sight.
Life 3
Defense 4 (typically boosted to 5 while on it’s hill)

Crypolith Warp Field:
Before moving a figure you control that is adjacent or on top of this Crypolith, you may either place that figure on top of this Crypolith or adjacent to this Crypolith. Figures being placed by Crypolith Warp Field will receive any Leaving Engagement attacks, even if they normally do not.

Weird Footing:
When this Crypolith receives a wound, a figure on top of it must be placed on a space adjacent to it by its controller if possible. A figure placed in this way with a height lower than 8 must roll an unblockable attack die. On a skull, that figure receives a wound.

<><><><><><><>

This rules + powerset should prevent a lot of universal issues with Raelin, Airborne Elite, Air Elementals, etc. I can take or leave the extra engagement clause within Crypolith Warp Field, but I figured that even ninjas can’t understand floating around in a warp field enough to bother trying to dodge engagement attacks.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs