Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old November 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Badgermaniac's Customs-MCU cards

Most are cost against existing Heroscape Marvel cards, other than the villains, which are attempts at epic super villains. A few do need some play-testing still.

I also tried to get creative by putting some drawbacks on many of the cards for some flavor as well as cost control.

Some powers are borrowed from other custom creators, so if I did not thank you specifically, it was an oversight.

Agent Axis. One of my Invaders villains. I have a custom fig to go with the card. The initial power is meant to represent his triple personality, created by melding three individuals into one.

Spoiler Alert!

Here is the figure custom:

Spoiler Alert!

Alkema/War Toy. A somewhat lesser powered Ulton. She is sort of a mini-epic villain. I have plans to create a custom fig of her by combining a Mockingbird and Jocasta fig, but who knows when that will get done.

Spoiler Alert!

Here is my custom figure for her:

Spoiler Alert!

Arkon

Spoiler Alert!

Here is an Avengers team card, which is a modified version of Grey Owl's idea/card. It is a concept that I might look at more in the future, but it has been on hold for a while now.

Spoiler Alert!

Baron Blood. Invaders villain. Vampire.

Spoiler Alert!

Baron Zemo. I wanted a Zemo that was a bit more powered up than what is out there. The use of the "X" Marker is a little nod to his Adhesive X theme. While it was certainly an iconic part of his early character, I just didn't like any of the game play options I came up with.

Spoiler Alert!

Black Knight
...has been modified quite a few times. Ultimately, I did do away with the Lover Boy power...as much as I loved it.
Spoiler Alert!

Black Talon
I was excited to see this minor Avengers villain come out as a Heroclix. He is from one of my favorite storylines (roughly Avengers 150-170). He has not been playtested yet in terms of point value.

Spoiler Alert!

Black Widow
Spoiler Alert!

Bucky. Invaders custom that is obviously mean to play off of the official Captain America.

Spoiler Alert!

Count Nefaria. Based on the "souped" up version of the Count. He is a beast to play against, but very fun if you are into taking on a group of heroes.

Spoiler Alert!

Criti Noll (Skrull)

The origin of this one was me looking at my bucket of spare Clix figures. I have a couple extra of the Yellowjacket figs so why not make a card for the Skrull that impersonated Pym/YJ? I know there is a YJ as skrull clix, but I will probably just paint the YJ's face green.

Spoiler Alert!

Crystal. Haven't had a chance to play her much, but looking forwards to seeing how her terrain changing ability plays out in further playtests.

Spoiler Alert!

Deathbird. Based on her infamous one on one battle against Hawkeye in which Clint laid a big smooch on her after defeating her. Someone has a 180 point Hawkeye that went through the NM24 process, so she is geared to battle him.

Spoiler Alert!

Doc Doom. He is similarly powered to my NM24 Graviton, though he has only been playtested a handful of times.

Spoiler Alert!

Doctor Doom 2. Another crack at a pretty tough character. The double unrestricted activation of "Pawns" makes him a beast, especially with capable squads. Throw in high defense and if you play him with any version of Doombots, and you might be able to make the case that he is worth even more.

Spoiler Alert!

Doctor Spectrum. The first member of the super villain team, the Squadron Sinister. Marvel intentionally made them DC ripoffs and the good doctor is modeled after Green Lantern. He is priced to go head to head with Iron Man.

Spoiler Alert!

Dragon Man
, meant to be paired with a mind-controlling teammate like Diablo for some bonding.

Spoiler Alert!

Edwin Jarvis, faithful Avengers' butler

Spoiler Alert!

Falcon. This is basically Hi's version of the Falcon which I have tweaked very slightly, much as I did with GO's Scarlet Witch. Changes were primarily cosmetic and/or minor.

Spoiler Alert!

Goliath

Spoiler Alert!

Added my custom Goliath figure.

Spoiler Alert!

Graviton (NM24). A figure that went through significant changes. I love his value at 530, making for my first epic villain.

Spoiler Alert!

Hawkeye.

Spoiler Alert!

Hercules.
Herc is a simple character and wanted to leave it that way. In terms of raw power, he can go head to head with Thor, but he is a bit of a loose cannon so in order to give Thor the edge, I felt it appropriate to not allow any synergy with Hercules. I am open to a wording change however, as I don't really like how I have it right now.

Spoiler Alert!

Human Torch (Jim Hammond). Invaders custom who features a suicide bomb special. I think I got the idea from someone else's card, but it was so long ago, I couldn't tell you who it was.

Spoiler Alert!

Hyperion.
2nd member of the Squadron Sinister. He was the Marvel ripoff of Superman. He is designed to match up in combat with Thor.

Spoiler Alert!

Invaders.
Team card that is still in the conceptual stage (and has been for a LONG time).

Spoiler Alert!

Jack of Hearts. A very thematic card but one that probably requires some refinement.

Spoiler Alert!

Jessica Jones-I haven't done a lot of low level heroes so she is interesting to me. Obviously, she is meant as a tag-along to Luke Cage. The Skrull connection obviously originates with the Secret Invasion plot where they kidnapped her child.
Spoiler Alert!

Jocasta

Spoiler Alert!

Kang. Another tough one to cost. He has been playtested a little, so again, I think I am in the ballpark.

Spoiler Alert!

Korvac. My first mega-epic figure. Obviously, with these kinds of powers, he is virtually impossible to cost. I am confident that I am in the right ballpark, but that ballpark could be pretty big. (And yes, he can resurrect enemy figures.)

Spoiler Alert!

Lionheart. Another former Avenger that nobody had tackled.

Spoiler Alert!

Living Laser, an Avenger villain. Yes, I hate the pic too. The version of the villain I like does not have a Clix figure, so I stuck with this version of him.

Spoiler Alert!

Living Lightning Another new Avengers clix. Hard figure to do since he essentially can't be hit with regular attacks when in his electrical form. I wasn't inclined to try to figure out how to do this, so I just gave him really good defense. At times in the comics, he is in his human form and more vulnerable so I figured this card was a decent compromise. The water thing is basically made up (don't recall it coming up in the comics) simply because logically it makes sense and I really needed/wanted something else on the card.

Spoiler Alert!

Luke Cage. I am surprised that there aren't more customs of him given his relative prominence in modern Marvel story lines. He is a classic thumper.

Spoiler Alert!

Machine Man. This is a collaboration with Drewman-Chu. He did most of the card concept while I did the artwork/card construction.

Spoiler Alert!

Madame Masque
. I kind of liked how the best pic of her matched the mini pose.

Spoiler Alert!

Magneto. Here is my epic Magneto. After playtesting him, I bumped him upt o 650 and actually cut back a bit on some of his powers. I love, love, love him...very very thematic.

Magnetic Throw ability credit goes to allskulls.

Spoiler Alert!

Malekith. Magic is always tough to show in a battle game, but I like the concept of the card. Hasn't been playtested so point value is just a placeholder.

Spoiler Alert!

Mantis. One of my favorite looking cards.

Spoiler Alert!

Master Man. Invaders villain who is similar to Warrior Woman (below). I made a custom fig of him but he is embarrassingly bad. He was made from a Booster Gold and because of BG's goggles, it looks like Master Man has bug eyes.

Spoiler Alert!

I have since updated my Master Man custom and am much happier with the new one (minus the logo which is just too fine for me to paint accurately.)

Master Pandemonium. West Coast Avengers villain who finally got his own Heroclix. He is meant to be played with the Mezzodemons from the HS base set.

Spoiler Alert!

Medic. My first "traditional" custom. I figured he would fit well with Drake and company thematically, so he is Jandar of course.

Spoiler Alert!

Medusa. Per a request to finish up the last couple Inhumans. She actually is one of my favorite cards.

Spoiler Alert!

Moondragon. Very unconventional figure, based on virtually all of her powers being mental. I enjoy playing her though.

Spoiler Alert!

Mordru A card I made for Devil's Advocate. Credit for the write-up/powers goes to him.

Spoiler Alert!

Mr. Hyde, done primarily because nobody else had and since I just did a Jarvis, those familiar with Avenger lore will get the connection. Basically, he is just a simple brute thug, as he should be.

Spoiler Alert!

Ms. Marvel.
Originally, I had the following card as Warbird, but I decided to call her Ms. Marvel, which is her more common name. I really like her card as it has synergy with some of the custom SHIELD/spy cards out there, but also gives her some leadership in combat.

Spoiler Alert!

Nebula

Spoiler Alert!

Negative Zone Denizens

Spoiler Alert!

Night Hawk. While he became a fairly prominent member of the hero group, the Defenders, this is and early version of the character when he was with the Squadron Sinister. He is the Marvel version of Batman and is priced to match up with Captain America. While I am not a big fan of using markers on cards, the night/day mechanic just works perfectly here (a mechanic I stole from Grey Owl's Moon Knight).

Spoiler Alert!

Nyami.
My first purely made up character. I saw the mini on clearance and immediately thought it fit well visually with the Atlanteans. So, I decided to create an epic villain styled water genie that could work with Namor or Attuma or any of those types. I have not played with him yet so the cost may be off (as it often is). Wave blast is the power that is the most innovative. I have enjoyed playing with Crystal and her terrain altering power, so I am interested to see how Nyami plays with his ability to spread water all over the battlefield.

As a sidenote, I also created a depowered version of Nyami on an Aquilla card, to be used with classic games (that can be found on the regular custom page).

Spoiler Alert!

Quasar

Spoiler Alert!

Quicksilver was a fairly tough one. You can come up with a lot of cool uses for his speed, but ultimately, he has to be kind of wimpy when facing top notch opponents.

Spoiler Alert!

Red Guardian. Relatively obscure Avengers villain. Basically, he was the Soviet Captain America and as such, is intended to play like him.

Spoiler Alert!

Scarlet Witch. I wasn't going to make a card for Wanda, being perfectly happy with Grey Owls NM24 version, but I gave in and used his as a template and changed a few things to make it my own.

Spoiler Alert!

For the She-Hulk, I took Matt Helm's Gamma Healing power.

Spoiler Alert!

I have always wanted to include more squads amongst my customs. Bolstered by some new "detective looking" Clix and with the intent of playing with Grey Owl's Nick Fury, SHIELD Undercover Agents:

Spoiler Alert!

Spirfire. Invaders custom that features one of my favorite cards.

Spoiler Alert!

Starfox (NM24). Not a favorite character of mine, but at the time, nobody had done a card for this former Avenger. I found it ironic that he was nominated for the NM24 process, given that I virtually never play with him.

Spoiler Alert!

Sub-Mariner. Another one of my Invaders set. I like the thematic feel of his Vengeance power. I borrowed the idea of the water tokens from someone else and tweaked it, but have never been totally happy with it as he isn't as effective as I would like out of water. Someday, I will probably tweak him.

Spoiler Alert!

Super-Adaptoid. Another guy that is powered up for game balance, though the adaption ability makes him tough to price. So much depends on who he is fighting. The adaptability is 100% vital for him of course, but I realize that my current wording probably has holes in it. To be 100% tight, this wording would probably need to be broken down and rebuilt.

Spoiler Alert!

Taskmaster. He is another guy that I am surprised hasn't been done more. I like the one on the site (GO???), but I wanted one with a bit more pop.

Spoiler Alert!

Thor (NM24). There are a lot of Thors out there, but a couple are maxed out versions, so I wanted one a little more on par with the Marvel Hulk. My initial version was a bit undercosted, so I depowered down Lightning Storm a bit.

Spoiler Alert!

Next up is Tigra, who I tried to make very similar to the 130 point Beast custom that someone else made. I think she is a fun one to play.

Spoiler Alert!

Toro. Part of my Invaders set. Obviously meant to team with the Human Torch (Jim Hammond).

Spoiler Alert!

Triton
. Per a request to finish up the last couple Inhumans.

Spoiler Alert!

Ultron-8. I know that others have versions of Ultron, but mine is modeled after Avengers 161-162, where he took on the entire crew and pretty much kicked tail...so I wanted to beef him up a bit. I boosted his point cost quite a bit from the first version of him. After some quick playtesting, I think I am close.

Spoiler Alert!

U. S. Agent

Spoiler Alert!

Vision. One of my favorites: the Vision. He is REALLY hard to do for a few reasons. First off, he has that intangibility thing going on. Within the context of the game, how do you account for his diamond hardness as well as his intangibility? I tried a bunch of mechanics but they were just too unwieldy. After playtesting, I think it works well, but time will tell. Overall, he is a fun card to play. You can really move him strategically with his intangibility. He can double attack with his eye beams. He can finish off an enemy with his physical disruption.

Spoiler Alert!

Warrior Woman. Another Invaders villain that I have a custom figure of. She is intended to be VERY similar to Master Man, due to their story connections.

Spoiler Alert!

Here is my custom figure for her:

Spoiler Alert!

Wasp. Ms. Van Dyne was created when I just wasn't happy with the other Wasps on the site, from a thematic standpoint. Wasp is intended to be a great supporting character...keep the opponent occupied while your big hitters move in for the kill-shot. She worked out pretty well in that she is always moving, which of course is thematic.

Spoiler Alert!

Wermacht Troops. A common squad of blitzkrieging Nazis meant to fight against my Invaders customs. I love the way they come at you in waves. My only issue with them is whether they should be a three man squad or four man.

Spoiler Alert!

Whizzer.
This is not the Whizzer that fought in WWII and was later beleived to be the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but rather the Squadron Sinister member who later became Speed Demon. The Marvel ripoff of The Flash, he is cost to go up against Goliath.

Spoiler Alert!

Wonder Man. Another card with a "weakness" on it, a touch that I enjoy using.

Spoiler Alert!

Yellowjacket. I already have a Goliath version of Pym, but since his YJ guise is so different, I felt another card was in order. I know a lot of people try to accommodate both "characters" into one card, but I prefer having separate cards.

Spoiler Alert!

And now, here are my Watchmen customs, based on the movie versions of the characters.

The Comedian

Spoiler Alert!

Dr. Manhattan. The point cost is a just a placeholder until I can test him a bit.
Spoiler Alert!

Nite Owl II

Spoiler Alert!

Ozymandias, inspired by Captain America.

Spoiler Alert!

Rorschach

Spoiler Alert!

Silk Spectre II

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by badgermaniac; August 7th, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM

goaliescaper is surprisingly tart
Re: Need input..my first custom

for 450 points he seems a little weak

He shoots... and the airborne elite drop just in time to save the goal!
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That was the hard part for me. I was hoping the special abilities would be incredibly hard to deal with. The fact that you can basically eliminate any attacks or movements against you at pretty much any time is a hard one to quantify.

From the character in the comics, he doesn't have massive offensive/damage creating abilities, but his defensive skills and his ability to neutralize opponents is where his strength is.

I would like to keep his value somewhere around that 450 mark, so I guess I need some suggestions as to how to make him worth it while still keeping true to his character.

He is one of those villains that was given such broad power, that he is virtually unbeatable if you think about it. He is a character kind of like Superman. I mean, how do you defeat someone who controls gravity and prevent anyone from even moving?

In his appearances in the Avengers books, nobody ever does truly beat him. He just gets outricked due to his insanity/ego/etc.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Theme Nerd

Here is another quick custom for an Avengers team card. It is basically the same card that someone else already made other than they are totally dependent on Cap rather than Cap or Iron Man (hence the reduction in points).

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...okyQuartet.jpg

Old November 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliescaper View Post
for 450 points he seems a little weak
Weak? He can potentially take away all your order markers every turn. That power alone I think may almost 'break' the game.

-insert signature here-
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Theme Nerd

It would really require the heroes to split up not only their order markets, but attempt to take Graviton from all angles (without bunching up).

In the original story with Graviton, it was the Black Panther who snuck into range, though ultimately Graviton went nutso when his chick left him. A figure with some sort of stealth skill would be useful here.

In another story, it was Tigra who was the key in turning the tide.

I think the key would be to stay alive and pick and choose your spots....spread out your power and take an open shot when you get it, while hoping he has a bought of his instability, which would mean open season.

Remember that my goal is creating a villain that can go toe to toe with a team of 6-8 Avengers. That said, if people think he is TOO powerful, I am open to suggestions to scale him back.
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
I decided to bit the bullet and try my own custom. My first creation was a Graviton card. One of my issues with many of the customs is that the villains are not typically powerful enough to go up against teams of heros so I wanted to make Graviton very very powerful.
I see this sentiment come up a lot among customs creators, and my advice is to try and get over the fact that villians aren't powerful enough to take on an entire team of heroes, or vice versa. There's a difference between how a character should be treated in fiction versus how he/she should be translated into a miniatures game. The goal of a superhero comic fight is to provide the reader with an exciting narrative. The goal of a game is to give all players a fair opportunity to win and to facilitate a good time. Now, exciting narratives often emerge from a good game, but unless you're playing a role-playing game (which Heroscape is not), it shouldn't be the primary goal of game design. Just my two cents.

Having said that, here's some feedback on your Graviton custom:

- His Gravitic Force Bolt Special Attack, as written, leaves little reason for him to ever use his normal attack. Heroscape figures are always designed so special attacks do not make a normal attack obsolete or unnecessary. For example, Captain America's Shield Throw is one of the best special attacks in the game, but his normal attack hits harder than it. Graviton's Special Attack hits harder than his normal, has the same range, and has a special ability to boot. I would suggest lowering the Gravitic Force Bolt's attack to a 4 and increasing his normal attack's range to a 6 or 7.

- Gravity Control is (as nyys wrote) overpowered, even considering Graviton's cost. It doesn't require a roll and in Heroscape (particularly Marvelscape with its smaller maps) a six-hex radius encompasses a lot of ground, potentially affecting an opponent's entire army.

- On the positive side, the card you made looks great. Nice choice of font and type size, and your abilities are written in a close approximation of Heroscape style rules. Very good for your first try.
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Theme Nerd

Thanks for the input. Here are the modifications:

Old December 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

OK since this is your largest thread, I'm putting my comments here.

PLEASE, DO NOT make a thread for every custom you create. Just change the title and post it in the first and last posts to let people know you have a new creation. It clears up the forum from a crazy number of threads. I know the threads here move slow, but it still is courtesy to keep your creations in one post. Thank you.

GRAVITRON
- I'd lose the Mad and just have Scientist. More generic for bonuses and Mad is a personality really. I do like Vengeful, always have.
- Gravatic Force Bolt SA, I would add a little clarification, "If this attack inflicts at least one wound on a figure, you may move the affected figures and all adjacent figures the amount of spaces equal to the number of wounds."
- Can you move Gravatron/friendly figures/figures you control with Gravatic Force? or is it only enemies? As worded you canmove EVERYONE.
- I would say space instead of hex for Gravity Control. Just more official.
- For more clarity, change "on a roll..." to "If you roll a 13 or higher, remove all Order Markers on any figures' Army Cards within three spaces of the chosen space."
- Again Gravity Control affects even your own figures and Gravitron. I like your own figures, not so much that it affects Gravitron.
- I would reword Criminal Instability to "Before moving, roll the 20
-sided die. If you roll a 19 or 20, immediately end this turn."
- Points are almost impossible to say. He's good for sure, but I think 420 is definitely on the too high end. I would drop them.
- I like him, very unique. Only my two questions about who those abilities affect, but for a first custom fantastic job!

I have comments for the others, but it's late here now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Old December 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Theme Nerd

Updated card...

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Theme Nerd

Re: First customs...2 new additions (12-5-08)

Added Jocasta and US Agent.
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Theme Nerd

Re: First customs...3 new additions (12-7-08)

Ultron-8 added today.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations