Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old October 10th, 2018, 09:46 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Orc's Tips to Improve Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I believe Sir Heroscape meant that 4 attacks of 2 from 4th Mass is better than Jotun’s lobe attack of 8.
Gotcha, makes sense and is generally true (except good luck with that vs a Q9). It's worth noting though that most competitive armies are competitive because they are able to combine the two worlds.
I was just trying to use a very simple example to get the point across.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 10th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

A lot of people forget that for attacking heroes, the effective decrease of total defense dice rolled is significant when sacrificing attacks per turn for stronger attacks. ex: 4 attacks of 3 on 3 yield average 2.32 wounds, 3 attacks of 4 on 3 yield average 2.796 wounds. Both are 12 attack dice rolled, but the opponent rolls 12 and 9 defense dice, respectively. Maximizing attacks per turn over number of attack dice rolled is only relevant for squads, where you only need one wound.

And yes lots of Heroscape is squads. But you can make high attack dice valuable in other ways too.

One of the reasons that Deathchasers are better than Romans despite throwing 1 less attack per turn is that Deathchasers throw 4 dice base with all of their attacks. This kind of allows for a different playstyle with Deathchasers than you can with other bonding squads, where you aren't focused on getting even all three attacks per turn always, but using Me-Burq-Sa and one or two Deathchasers out of Raelin's aura to pressure opponent with concentrated low risk high damage attack threats.
Old October 11th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Such great stuff in this thread, both in the OP and the comments! I think the Range on Height Fallacy and the Odds Fallacy are both really good tips for beginners especially. I've had a few games where I've encouraged opponents to maximize their range, explaining that +1 Attack/Defense on height is good, but attacking your opponent and not getting attacked back is better, even if you're on even or lower ground.

I'm looking forward to what else is shared!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 12th, 2018, 01:52 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
0) I was blessed to be able to play tons of games against my dad, who is also an accomplished player in the competitive scene.

1) Don't Blame the Dice

2) Maximize your range.

3) Take those chances because you'll lose if you don't
Great discussion.

0) So... DragonRuler isn't your real dad?

1) This is something that a lot of players like to talk about every single game. Good dice here, bad dice there. It takes effort to look beyond that and figure out what you or your opponent did that made those good or bad dice matter as much as they did. I'm still terrible at it.

2) This is one of my favorite points, partly because I get to talk about beating @Deroche at GenCon. He had 4th Mass. against my Aubriens, so I was outnumbered and out-valued, so I had to come up with some advantage I could exploit... and it was printed right there on the card: 6 Range vs 7 Range. By jumping on height when the opportunity presented itself and otherwise retreating to my maximum range, I was able to force the 4th to keep moving and never get to use Wait then Fire... and won with a single Archer left.

3) This one I realized watching players better than myself play. I think it was at GenCon and I don't remember the situation or even the players, but I do remember the lightbulb moment. Someone made a risky move (disengage, or disadvantageous engagement, or something like) that I never would've thought of and never would've done at the time even if I had. The subsequent attack and kill swung the game to their advantage, and I was blown away by the effect of such a seemingly small play. I try to recognize those moments in my own games now, and hopefully make (and succeed) more of those plays than my opponents!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 12th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

This is great! I should probably do some of these things.

Please tuck all those periods and commas inside the quotation marks. Make your father proud.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 13th, 2018, 08:33 AM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
"I should have had this guy one hex to the right".
This was one other thing I wanted to comment on as well. There are many reasons a single space could be important. Stay in or out of an aura. Prevent an opponent from engaging you, or having height advantage for an attack. Make sure you ca get where you're going next turn. Leave room for another one of your units, etc. Every single space matters (and I've just caused a lot more AP in a lot more players ).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 16th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Appreciate the feedback from everyone! Rough week this week so hopefully I'll have some time to respond to everyone in a few days.
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
This is great! I should probably do some of these things.

Please tuck all those periods and commas inside the quotation marks. Make your father proud.
Was instructed to do the opposite, been doing it wrong for years??? Thanks, will fix!!
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
"I should have had this guy one hex to the right".
This was one other thing I wanted to comment on as well. There are many reasons a single space could be important. Stay in or out of an aura. Prevent an opponent from engaging you, or having height advantage for an attack. Make sure you ca get where you're going next turn. Leave room for another one of your units, etc. Every single space matters (and I've just caused a lot more AP in a lot more players ).
Thanks for the feedback! This is a big one for me. The chance that anyone gets every single placement in a game of Scape right is absurdly low, and acknowledging those small mistakes has helped me to clean up my game so much.
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

European persons such as @ollie put periods and commas outside quotation marks. The reason why is, they want their page to look like somebody left bread crumbs or something all over metaphorical kitchen floor that is their paper. It's important to their cultural heritage or something that the reader's eyes get distracted as much as possible.

Baffling, really. It explains why we left, back in the day. Following are my nerdy thoughts deeper into the weeds of why our system is better.

Spoiler Alert!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:33 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I read this last week but somehow forgot "4. Range on Height Fallacy" when I was playing at Louisville NHSD. @NecroBlade beat me by a slim margin (two one-life heroes) but I could have won if I did not go for height and instead stay out of range, especially since I was playing with 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters who get 9 range when they don't move. I will have to remember for next time.

I did do better at the odds fallacy - as not just playing for the one attack but also what is better in long run, but it would help for me to memorize the Probability Tables.
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I was playing with 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters who get 9 range when they don't move.
Yeah, I wasn't about to tell you to play them differently. Also, I did forget Bully on the Brute Gruts when attacking said Sharpshooters, so the game maybe could've been not so close. But that's for me to remember next time!

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles