Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 27th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Looks like a ton of fun! Nice house, too.
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last night I got to play Food Chain Magnate for the first time. Great game, though it takes a few hours and is a heavy brain burner. The mechanics themselves aren't complicated, but the decisions are many, and difficult when trying to make the best ones.

Basically, each player owns a restaurant and has a CEO card that allows you to have 3 employees cards directlybelow him, though if one of those 3 is a manager, then they can have employees below them too. Butduring the course of the game, you have a lot of different employees that you can hire and theystart at a base level and you don'thave to pay them at the end of a round. They can be trained to do better for you, but then they cost money every roun. At the end of each round l, you collect your employee cards and choose which ones you want to play for the next round, as you will eventually have more in your hand than you can play.

You will have workers and marketing people. Houses will respond to marketing campaigns people do and have certain demands for different types of food and drinks. You havery to do things to be able to provide them those things, and a lot has to do with how close you are to them and what your pricing is.

It's got a ton of stuff and way more complicated than I have time to explain, but it's a good one.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:30 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Looks like a ton of fun! Nice house, too.
Thanks! It was a blast.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Last night I got to play Food Chain Magnate for the first time. Great game, though it takes a few hours and is a heavy brain burner. The mechanics themselves aren't complicated, but the decisions are many, and difficult when trying to make the best ones.

Basically, each player owns a restaurant and has a CEO card that allows you to have 3 employees cards directlybelow him, though if one of those 3 is a manager, then they can have employees below them too. Butduring the course of the game, you have a lot of different employees that you can hire and theystart at a base level and you don'thave to pay them at the end of a round. They can be trained to do better for you, but then they cost money every roun. At the end of each round l, you collect your employee cards and choose which ones you want to play for the next round, as you will eventually have more in your hand than you can play.

You will have workers and marketing people. Houses will respond to marketing campaigns people do and have certain demands for different types of food and drinks. You havery to do things to be able to provide them those things, and a lot has to do with how close you are to them and what your pricing is.

It's got a ton of stuff and way more complicated than I have time to explain, but it's a good one.

Food Chain Magnate is a fantastic game. Too bad it probably won't get played that often for a few years around here.

Started an Arcadia Quest campaign with my kids and one of their friends. Fun time so far, although I did have football in the background to pass the slight downtime with 3 new players. Speaking of football, can't keep my mind off of the Techno Bowl game on Kickstarter. I think the idea to use electric football players to upgrade the look is going to be cool.
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

Food Chain Magnate is a fantastic game. Too bad it probably won't get played that often for a few years around here.

Started an Arcadia Quest campaign with my kids and one of their friends. Fun time so far, although I did have football in the background to pass the slight downtime with 3 new players. Speaking of football, can't keep my mind off of the Techno Bowl game on Kickstarter. I think the idea to use electric football players to upgrade the look is going to be cool.

I don't know when the next time I'llget to play Food Chain Magnate, but I hope I don't have to wait a couple years My buddy Brian had just gotten it on Friday and wanted to give it a go. He's go so many games, that it's tough to get some back in the rotation, especially if they are long heavy games. I'll have to make it a point to ask about it again in a month or so, of course by then, I'll be in the Seafall campaign.

Never tried Arcadia Quest, but it looks fun. I'll have to check out Techno Bowl, sounds neat. Though I'm already selling some games to help pay for upcoming Halo Ground Command expansions (expensive hobby), so I don't see myself kickstarting anything for awhile. I also have Gloomhaven coming in a couple months, so that will keep me busy.

Old September 28th, 2016, 10:51 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Cry Havoc has arrived today at my FGLS! I'll pick it up tomorrow and play it with live opponents on Saturday. All righty. This is a retail copy; not a Pre-order.

Played three games of Mare Nostrum Empires; the first using the Atlas Expansion's three Legendary Cities modules. They proved simple to add and lots of fun.

Last edited by chas; September 29th, 2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:07 AM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Cry Havoc has arrived today at my FGLS! I'll pick it up tomorrow and play it with live opponents on Saturday. All righty. This is a retail copy; not a Pre-order.
Walked in to my FLGS yesterday and saw they had 2-3 copies of Cry Havoc. Almost picked one up and am still contemplating it. (Sometimes I think it is a bad thing that I work downtown Stevens Point, only about a 2 minute walk away from the local game store....far too easy to go browse during lunch times)

Otherwise recently played some more Robinson Crusoe. Still having a good time with it and playing through the different scenarios. Lots in the group are enjoying it too so it's been nice. I hope we can continue playing through all the scenarios over the next few weeks. I've been really enjoying just pulling out a game and having everyone know how to play and for the gameplay to be brisk and largely free or rules questions. While it is nice to keep trying and learning new games, I somewhat miss my high school/college days where I/we only had a few games and really got to enjoy the depth of a game with repeated plays with experienced players. I think I am going to make more of a concentrated effort to get some more repeat plays in on games and kind of just cycle around. So right now we'll keep playing Robinson Crusoe a few more times until we complete all the scenarios. After that with Halloween coming around and my copy of Dead of Winter: The Long Night arriving maybe we'll play that one a bunch before moving on to the next thing. I at least would enjoy that far more than learning new games all the time like has been happening lately for me.

Finally, getting excited for Dead of Winter: The Long Night and Seafall to finally arrive. I put in my pre order together so I've been waiting on both, and finally got shipping notice. Sounds like I'll have them both within a week or so.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got that message too
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
After that with Halloween coming around and my copy of Dead of Winter: The Long Night arriving maybe we'll play that one a bunch before moving on to the next thing. I at least would enjoy that far more than learning new games all the time like has been happening lately for me.

Finally, getting excited for Dead of Winter: The Long Night and Seafall to finally arrive. I put in my pre order together so I've been waiting on both, and finally got shipping notice. Sounds like I'll have them both within a week or so.
I got to play DOW The Long Night a month or so ago and it was really fun. My buddy that preordered Seafall said he should be getting it soon so we can start that campaign.

On October 29th/30th, my group is doing our annual Extra-Life 24 hour gaming event to raise money for Riley Childrens hospital in Indianapolis. Last year we raised over $1,600. Hope to beat that this year. In fact, because some people can't make it that weekend, one of our members is going to use his own money to rent out a large space at the Radisson in Merrillville, In to be able to have a 2nd option for people to be able to attend for this good cause.

We have some amazing people in our group, that's for sure. I'm glad to be a part of it and have a bunch of wonderful friends.

Old September 29th, 2016, 07:51 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Just got in my 3rd, 4th, and 5th game of Summoner Wars. What a great game!
Played as the Original Fallen Kingdom, Original Filth, and starting set Dark Elves. Also tried out Ashes for the first time (Played the base set snake-lady). Plaid Hat cannot be lauded more for there use of simple mechanics to create intricate, strategy driven games that have the perfect balance of strategy and the kind of luck that is indicative of fun.

I've played countless games of Spectre Ops (over 30 at this point, probably).

Countless games of Dead of Winter (at least 15).

Really really awesome company, can't wait to see their future games and bask in their awesomeness.
I read this back when you first posted it but got delayed in responding. I just wanted to echo my enjoyment of Plaid Hat Games. Specter Ops is one of my favorite games and I've played a ton of Summoner Wars. Your post was a good reminder that I need to take Alliances off the shelf and try and get some more games in.

I've also been wanting to get Dead of Winter back to the table. I've only played it 4 times and each one was a pretty dismal defeat so I feel like I've got a lot more to experience before I'm ready to move on to The Long Night.

Mice and Mystics has been on my list to get back out soon too. I never got the whole way through Sorrow and Remembrance but have had fun trying and re-trying the first few chapters.

Looks like I've got a lot to keep me busy after reading back over this. Good thing it's staring to cool down and get darker earlier. More time inside for games!
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Rudy valentine, have you tried Tail Feathers out? It's set in the Mice & Mystics universe and is basically the mice and rats duking it out via aerial combat.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:48 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Rudy valentine, have you tried Tail Feathers out? It's set in the Mice & Mystics universe and is basically the mice and rats duking it out via aerial combat.
I have not, but I do know of it. I was considering it for a time, being a fan of the Mice & Mystics, fantasy theme and also a big fan of X-Wing, as it looked to have some similarities with the flight templates and various pilot and bird abilities and stats.

It definitely looks interesting with the ground troops and the missions you can choose each round. Maybe it was bad timing with releasing too close to Ashes, but Plaid Hat didn't seem to push it as hard as they did some of their other games and I didn't hear much about it after the initial buzz.

What do you think of it? My concern would just be how much it would hit the table in my circle of gaming friends and family. I have a dedicated group for X-Wing and head-to-head games are harder to get played at home with the family or when getting together with friends for a game night. I'm interested to hear any thoughts on the game though. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be many people talking about it after the initial release.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games