Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Oyhedwig has disabled reputation
Re: Best Armies to hook new players with

I fully agree with rdhight on this. A variety of characters with great powers will get a new player interested. Of course, I also believe that using the first master set before using the expansions is a good idea for beginners. A big selection of cool and useful powers, and no bonding or overly complicated units.

My Deathwalkers climb.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Grok General Woo who?

Like KevinWC said, just go with some awesome heroes and solid squads to back them up. That's how played when I started.... and how I still play.

"Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction."

~Pablo Picasso

Old June 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

This topic has been discussed in several threads. Here are a few that could have been found if the search function was used:

Hooking new players. Which map and armies?

Best units to use when demo-ing for new players

In my opinion, go for what looks best. If you bring out Raelin, 4th Mass, Knight, and other semi-interesting figures, you may not captivate the interest of the person you are trying to get to play. However, use units such as Jotun, Charos, Braxas, Nilfheim or Tor-Kul-Na, to name a few, a new player may become more interested. Also, some of the best armies to use are general/theme specific armies. An all samurai group with Kato Katsuro vs. Ulginesh and the Elves is a great way to show how the units in the game can be grouped together in themes (although playing-wise, this game could get very confusing through Katsuro's Command and Mind Link). Some fun and easy to follow theme-specific armies could be Vipers, Marro, Samurai (without Katsuro), and Vampires.

My first game only used RotV, Orm's Return, and Raknar's Vision. Between the Vikings, Dragons, Robots, trees, road, bridges going over water, and ruins, I was hooked. I wanted to try out new armies, play/build different maps, and find out the best army combination. I think the best thing to do is keep it simple at first, and not try to implement a lot of strategy and army synergy; let the player begin to make new discoveries. The most important thing when getting new players to join the wonderful world of Heroscape: HAVE FUN WHEN YOU PLAY!
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Jim Morrison Jr. has disabled reputation

If the new player has had experience with other miniature games.. the most important aspect of the game will be to show that person what makes heroscape so different...

With that being said... I would probably incorporate something involving the vipers, marros, various robots and probably human people (ninjas, airborne elite). This would show the unique blend of figures and after that it's all how you explain/play with that player.

I like to think I have skills...
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM

dmacleod66 Woo who?

i started my first 2-3 games with not much and was able to through together a fun 500pt Utgar team no prob, had.
deathwalker 9000
marcu esenwein
iskra esenwein
rachets of bogdan
ornak
obsidian guards
deathreavers

after i built this team i think i had 3 left over utgar heroes/units.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka View Post
This topic has been discussed in several threads. Here are a few that could have been found if the search function was used:

Hooking new players. Which map and armies?

Best units to use when demo-ing for new players

In my opinion, go for what looks best. If you bring out Raelin, 4th Mass, Knight, and other semi-interesting figures, you may not captivate the interest of the person you are trying to get to play. However, use units such as Jotun, Charos, Braxas, Nilfheim or Tor-Kul-Na, to name a few, a new player may become more interested. Also, some of the best armies to use are general/theme specific armies. An all samurai group with Kato Katsuro vs. Ulginesh and the Elves is a great way to show how the units in the game can be grouped together in themes (although playing-wise, this game could get very confusing through Katsuro's Command and Mind Link). Some fun and easy to follow theme-specific armies could be Vipers, Marro, Samurai (without Katsuro), and Vampires.

My first game only used RotV, Orm's Return, and Raknar's Vision. Between the Vikings, Dragons, Robots, trees, road, bridges going over water, and ruins, I was hooked. I wanted to try out new armies, play/build different maps, and find out the best army combination. I think the best thing to do is keep it simple at first, and not try to implement a lot of strategy and army synergy; let the player begin to make new discoveries. The most important thing when getting new players to join the wonderful world of Heroscape: HAVE FUN WHEN YOU PLAY!

Ahh there is the word i couldnt remember demo-ing I knew there was a thread ahhh, thaksn for all the help everyone.
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

I think it's best to let a new person look at the cards and just pick out what looks interesting-- I may make suggestions, but I want him/her to enjoy the figures he/she is using. Then for my own army, I pick out figures that allow his/her army to have maximum impact and to maybe demonstrate something about the game that his/her army doesn't.

That being said, if I'm teaching a person how to play the game, I usually start with a quick all-hero army game, followed by a quick all-squad game, and finally followed by a somewhat more involved mixed game.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM

Unomas is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I have taught several people the game and all have become fans. But recently I tried to get my brother in-law into the game and I'm afraid I ruined him. He said he never wants to play again. lol

In our first game we did a really small one master set map with master set figures. I took soulborgs and Raelin. He was annihilated.
In our next game it was a large map for 4 players. My brother in-law was advised by my pops to take Romans and Marcus. Which again was a mistake for the type of map it was. He again got annihilated by my teammates AE and 4th Mass.

I wish I had that night to do over again. lol
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

When I showed my two friends how to play I used this army
1x Nakita's 120
1x G-nators 210
Raelin 290
Isamu 300

It really helped show all the aspects of the game. You have bonding, auras, abilities, range, melee, and anything else was in his army.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

i broke down a few army ideas to even more basic themes they will be each consist of four cards, 1 melee hero and squad and 1 ranged hero and squad

so some ideas i had

Grimnack
gruts
q-10
AElite

or Parmino
Sacred Band
Agent Carr
Krav Maga(or tagawa archers.)
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:18 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

ok before you criticize me for bringing back an old thread, i think my question has something to do with this thread. what is a good map to hook a new player but with few pieces?

stingers>everything else
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbirk19 View Post
ok before you criticize me for bringing back an old thread, i think my question has something to do with this thread. what is a good map to hook a new player but with few pieces?

Now thats a good question. I would not worry about specific maps too much. There are plenty of good ones in the BOV map thread. Personally I just like the build something that looks cool. Thats what really matters when starting out.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion