Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Shaolin Monks

The Book of Shaolin Monks
Jandar's Oath - Collection 3 - "Monks and Guards"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Originally trained to defend their Temples, the Shaolin Monks became one of the most deadly and feared fighting orders. Their legendary skills are based upon the movements of 5 animals (Tiger, Crane, Dragon, Snake and Leopard) and the properties of the 5 elements (Wood, Fire, Gold, Water and Earth). Centuries of refinement of their fighting art make the Shaolin Monks one of the most dangerous opponents on the battlefield. They can attack all of their enemies who are adjacent to them, delivering lethal strikes simultaneously. Their ability to leap into and out of engagements and over obstacles makes the Monks a necessary choice for almost any battle. (Hasbro)

It refers to the total up and down movement of the Stealth Leap move. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Leaping Over Lava
    Can the Monks use Stealth Leap to leap over molten lava without taking molten lava damage?
    Yes. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Total Up/Down Movement
    If a Shaolin Monk Stealth Leaps over a 6 level high ruin, would it be able to land 2 levels down on the other side of it?
    Yes. The total up or down movement cannot be more than 12 levels above or below the level you started on. You ignore elevations up to 12 levels because the Monk cannot leap higher than that. Wherever you
    land, it cannot be more than 12 levels above or below the level you started on. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Leaping Across Obstacles
    Can a Shaolin Monk Stealth Leap over a 30 level deep canyon if it lands on the same level on the other side?
    Yes. The total up or down movement for that leap was 0, so that is fine. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Leaping Over Obstacles
    Can a Shaolin Monk Stealth Leap over a 15 level Evergreen tree?
    No, you ignore elevations up to 12 levels because the Monk cannot jump higher than that. The Evergreen tree is more than 12 levels high, so you could not leap over it. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Falling Damage
    Do the Shaolin Monks take falling damage when they stealth leap less than 12 levels down?
    No, they do not take falling damage as long as they are Stealth Leaping less than 12 levels down. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Enhanced Movement
    Can the Shaolin Monk Stealth Leap be enhanced by roads or other movement bonuses?
    No, Stealth Leap is not enhanced by anything and has a maximum movement of 3 hexes. (dnutt99)

- STEALTH LEAP : Leaping "Around" or "Through" Figures
    On a flat field, a Monk wants to LEAP Braxas (a height 13 figure). We know a Monk could not, in this situation, LEAP terrain or an obstacle of height 13 or more (such as the height 15 tree, as noted in the Hasbro FAQ) because the LEAP's maximum is height 12. Is a FIGURE such as Braxas treated the same as a static obstacle / terrain?
    A stealth leaping monk may leap over/through a figure that has a height of more than 12. Figures are not walls. They have dead space that a figure would be able to dive through. Yes, you may have to bend reality a bit, but a Monk can leap over/through Braxas. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Leaping Over Terrain Occupied By Other Units
    A narrow wall of terrain rises from a flat field, one hex wide, 20 hexes long and 10 hexes tall, barring the Monk's path. The Monk wishes to LEAP over the wall, and could ordinarily do so since his LEAP is able to clear a maximum height of 12. However, 20 Minions of Utgar stand along the 20
    hexes of the wall-top. Minions are height 6 figures. Does this situation represent a "total height" of 16 (terrain 10 + figures 6 = 16) making the LEAP impossible? Or do the Minion figures NOT count toward the total height that the Monk must clear (and thus the Monk is allowed to make this, a height 10 LEAP)?

A figure's height doesn't add height to the terrain as it is not a wall or a part of the terrain. The monk would be able to leap to the safety of the above height before he started Shaolin Assaulting the Minions. (Hasbro FAQ)

- STEALTH LEAP : Stealth Leaping "Through" Figures
    Can a Shaolin Monk Stealth Leap through a space that is occupied by another unit if there is not enough room to physically move him through that space? (Like an enemy unit standing in a 'window' of terrain.)
    The monk would be able to stealth leap over/through the figure. Remember, figures are not walls. Also, when it comes to "space" there is a point where you just have to draw a line. Even if the figure was encased in the window, and it seems the leaping figure wouldn't be able to leap through/over it, he can. He's a crazy leaping monk. And he's awesome.
    (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - ACOLARH : Ullar's Amulet
    As a unit that follows Ullar, Shaolin Monk's may benefit from Acolarh's ULLAR'S AMULET movement bonus.

- MASTER WIN CHIU WOO : Master's Influence
    As Monk squad figures, Shaolin Monks may benefit from Master Win Chiu Woo's MASTER'S INFLUENCE 'Stealth-Leap
    movement', attack, and defense bonuses.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
    Having a Disciplined personality, Shaolin Monks may aid the Sacred Band with their DISCIPLINED ARMY
    DEFENSE BONUS
    *NOTE: See The Book of Sacred Band for proper application.

Power Ranking and Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Shaolin Monks- Give the monks one more defense and they could be some of the best units out there.
As it is, Monks fall too easily to just about anything. C+

Shaolin Monks
Stealth Leap Clarified? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6495
Leap how high? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=1846
Best Sculpt? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=1525
Unit Strategy Review
Note: One of these figures is the sculpt used to produce Master Win Chiu Woo

Last edited by Revdyer; August 18th, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You might want to mention that Stealth Leap is a "Special Move" and cannot be modified by movement bonuses. In particular, Acolarh's Amulet boost won't work with Stealth Leap.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Base a Competitive Army Around: The Shaolin Monks
Round I
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=4313
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ah glorious, handsome Wave 3 - what other wave has such awesome figures and
the biggest amount of varied squads (don't argue to me that Wave 1 had such a variance of commons, cuz orc iz orcs and Romans are Romans!)???
Easily my favorite wave to date and the Shaolin Monks are high on my list of personal best commons.

Shaolin Assault is wicked greatness.
I sometimes find myself wishing these guys had just 1 more attack and/or defense.
Sure, with the Stealth Leap, they can get into position to gain that height advantage,
but the rolls just don't seem to pull through when I need it.

Speaking of Stealth Leap - it's terrible when trying to hop around on heavy snow.

I really, really, really want a Monk hero who works with them Here's hoping we'll see him some day.
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigorGoHome
He still doesn't make them that playable unfortunately
So a common squad that can now pack a 4/4 attack/defense whallop AND hop to the top of a castle isn't playable? By who?
I guess that the only problem would be keeping them all close enough to the master in order for them to get the bonuses.

Though, I think it would work pretty well if you first launched the master into the middle of your opponent's army, and then followed with the rest of your monks.

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I am so glad the monks get some help. I just hope it is enough. Only having an aura that is 2 clear sight spaces away, along with not having bondong. That might be tough to pull off. But still, better than the monks not getting any help
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I think the Master helps the monks a lot....I'd been hoping for a Shaolin Master figure for a while and this guy fills that gap. Too bad he's Aquilla and not Ullar. Hopefully this means we'll see some Aquilla monks though...unless he's going to be the second figure in the game to boost exclusively cross-general (Valguard being the first).
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
...Only having an aura that is 2 clear sight spaces away, along with not having bondong. That might be tough to pull off. But still, better than the monks not getting any help...
Actually, that 2 range aura is so much better then adjacent requirements that it's not even funny. How much easier is it to use Ornak than Parmino?
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by King's Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
...Only having an aura that is 2 clear sight spaces away, along with not having bondong. That might be tough to pull off. But still, better than the monks not getting any help...
Actually, that 2 range aura is so much better then adjacent requirements that it's not even funny. How much easier is it to use Ornak than Parmino?
How true.
It affects three times as many spaces, too. 18 Super Leaping Monks...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:19 AM
has been BANNED

Ullar rocks 4553 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Yea I think the shaolin monks will get some more attention Now that the Comic-Con exclusive (Master Win Chiu Woo) is out.

They'll be able to jump higher.

Get them an extra attack and defense die.

And it can make a good 300 pt. army if you draft then with two shaolin
monk squads.

Dang these smileys ROCK!

:banana:
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM

manger has disabled reputation
In an intense game last night a very interesting question came up that is not yet addressed concerning the monks: perhaps the answer is so obvious that nobody thought to ask it before... On the card it states you may move "all or any monks"... does this imply that if I had drafted 33 monks that I could stealth leap with all 33 of them?!?!

Final monk question: SUppose the answer to question above is no (i wouldnt be upset if this were the case) can I stealth leap with one monk (move of 3) and move a second monk with a regular move of 6 as long as I follow normal moving rules?

Thanks for your help your help scrapers! peace
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by manger
In an intense game last night a very interesting question came up that is not yet addressed concerning the monks: perhaps the answer is so obvious that nobody thought to ask it before... On the card it states you may move "all or any monks"... does this imply that if I had drafted 33 monks that I could stealth leap with all 33 of them?!?!

Final monk question: SUppose the answer to question above is no (i wouldnt be upset if this were the case) can I stealth leap with one monk (move of 3) and move a second monk with a regular move of 6 as long as I follow normal moving rules?

Thanks for your help your help scrapers! peace
First question is no. The key phrase is "instead of thier normal move". Only 3 monks get a normal move per turn so, any or all of the 3 can leap.

Second question is yes, you may stealth leap with one and nomal move another.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units