Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 1st, 2015, 10:51 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I got some board games in last night.

We started with two games of Once Upon a Time. This is a fun "competitive" story telling game where you try to weave the cards your hand into a fairy tale story, with other players able to steal the narrative and try to play out their hand while bringing the story to its conclusion. I think its best when you don't take it too seriously and just try to have a fun story while playing out your hand.

Next up we played Swap, a game that is somewhat like Uno except that you frequently have hands swapped about so getting down in cards is often meaningless. While it started out fun, it became pretty clear as we were playing that the game could just go on and on without any definite end. After some 45 minutes the game happened to end when one player made a careless mistake and allowed the player next to him to win the game. I felt more grateful that it was over than anything else. I don't necessarily hate more random style games like that, I just feel that they need to have a more finite end point.

Finally we played a game I do love, Cosmic Encounter. I left tech cards out but added artifacts to be used with the easy alien races and their flare cards. I borrowed a rules variant from Shut Up & Sit Down where you keep your alien race hidden until the power is used. I liked the change to it and all the little interactions the powers had. Two players ended up going for a joint victory and one of them had kept her race unused and hidden the entire time.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:33 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I played a game of Battleball using Mr. Bistro's rules with my daughter before the big game today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:58 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I played a game of Battleball using Mr. Bistro's rules with my daughter before the big game today.
Battleball before Heroscape sounds like a great idea.

We squeezed in a game of Spurs using the Gambler, the Pioneer (BGG promo), and the Rancher. I was the Gambler and ended up doing better cattle rustling and horse breaking than I did gambling and digging for gold, his supposed strengths. It did actually help digging for gold, but I couldn't keep the desperadoes from stealing it after I dug it up.

Had a fun game day Saturday playing:
1. Power Grid
2. Sheriff of Nottingham
3. Imperial Assault
4. Elfenland (didn't play this one)
5. Spendor
6. Steam Park
7. 2 Rooms and a Boom

Large group games others were playing:
8. Jungle Speed
9. Pit
10. Mafia
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Awesome, @rudyvalentine , sounds like a great month! And @Jormi_Boced , those are gorgeous. I'm envious!

Haven't played Battleball in too long. We tend to only play shorter 2-player games (see below), since usually they are just filler before we do something as a family. I do miss playing BB, fun game!

--

Here are our January plays--thanks to Christmas break rolling into January further this school year it was a very good month, with lots of new games. You'll see our played 1x list is quite long, thanks to trying out new games we got. Hopefully we'll see many of these getting repeat plays soon. (Had some data glitches, so it may not be precise, but it's close.)

January in the Mmirg Household:

Terzetto 14 - light 2-player game, not amazing, but we enjoyed it enough to keep playing it again and again
Kamisado 9 - distinctive 2-player game, still not sure how I feel about it, but it did grab our attention for several days, clearly
Loopin' Louie 8 - still enjoy this one; mostly because my kids like it so much
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie 4 - still the best
Age of War 3 - a bit too dice-driven for me, no strategy seems able to survive bad rolls, but it is good enough that I'm sure we'll keep pulling it out
Among the Stars 3 - this may be the "winner" of Christmas 2014 for us--just so very glad to have this one and play it. It's light, but really enjoyable, for me
Chupacabra: Survive the Night 3 - not good, really, it's not
UNO 3 - yeah, kids still pull it out
Spoiler Alert!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Played the 3rd scenario in the campaign for Galaxy Defenders tonight. We had to research (discover or whatever) 4 pieces of shards, with each being in a different building. I had the Marine character and got caught up in a choke-point with the Robocop player and his two bots he brought with. The sniper player stayed back, while the Tank character player and the Infiltrator agent player moved through.

Robocop and I were taking a beating with stupid Spinecritters all up on us. The Infiltrator Agent died before the Tank Agent could help much. Then my character died and then the bots and Robocop. We had 1 shard already found so the Tank player went to a cluster of 3 buildings and was able to find the next 3 required shards over the next 6 or so rounds, while the Sniper was shooting and keeping his distance.

Since 3 of us were out of the game, we took full control of all alien cards and ran the event deck etc.

Only 2 of the 5 of us needed to survive, so the mission was a success and the 3 of us that died can come back in the next mission, though we lose the stuff that we had gained up until then.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

January Gaming -

Magic the Gathering - 27
X-Wing - 13
Imperial Assault - 12
Bang! (Dice Game) - 5
LotR: LCG - 5
Dominion - 5
Heroscape - 4
Love Letter - 3
Star Realms - 3
Sentinels of the Multiverse - 3
Legendary Encounters - 3
Mage Wars - 2
Flash Point - 1
Panic Station - 1
TtR - 1
Battleball - 1
Thunderstone - 1
DnD Attack Wing - 1
Robinson Crusoe - 1
UNO - 1
Sheriff of Nottingham - 1
Pathfinder: ACG - 1
Galaxy Defenders - 1

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:51 AM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice mix (except Magic) @Matthias Maccabeus , although DD is conspicuously missing.

Played Imperial Settlers at work and a few games of Star Realms at home yesterday. Weird, but I may actually like Imperial Settlers better solo than 2-player. I won with the Romans vs Barbarians, but it was painfully slow. It was Stephen Universe's first game, so hopefully it moves quicker next time but to make sure we will be using a DGT Pyramid Game Timer from now on.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:22 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
... a few games of Star Realms at home yesterday.
I really enjoy Star Realms. I need to play that more. I don't often find myself in 2-player gaming situations so I haven't brought it out enough. I'm thinking about getting extra decks to go multiplayer but I want to try it out first.

In any case, I had another board game night last night. I've been doing these pretty frequently lately. I guess I'll enjoy them while I can.

First up I had my first shot at Abyss. It's a pretty strange game with all the different little systems in it, particularly (as I have seen pointed out) how it has a lot of art and theme for what is essentially a pretty abstract game. The theme really doesn't make much sense, but I still enjoyed gathering resources and working things out. I was hardly going to win anyway but I unfortunately greatly misunderstood one aspect of the rules which led me to frequently overpaying for cards and making some bad decisions for points in the end. I still enjoyed it quite a bit and will gladly play it some more.

After that I taught two people how to play Suburbia. This economic hexagonal tile laying game is something I definitely really enjoy. I ended up making a minor mistake on one of the rules which inflated our scores a little and I felt a little extra guilty in the end when I thoroughly crushed my opponents. It would have been a little closer at least had they not allowed me to pretty easily secure all of the open end goals and land an extra 45 people. I still think they enjoyed themselves despite only just overtaking me if they combined their score and would be willing to play again, so I guess I didn't fail at teaching them in that respect.

After that I got into two 8-player games of Shadow Hunters. This is an interesting hidden roles and bluffing sort of game. I rather enjoyed it overall, though I must say that it can take a little while when you have so many players, especially when a major part of the game is player elimination. Perhaps we were just playing a little slow but I felt at odds with enjoying the chaos and uncertainty of having so many players and the fact that it would take quite some time for your turn to roll around to you again. Two neutral characters ended up winning both games we played, one ending very early with a suicidal character dying first to win the game and the other being stolen from the hunters who were about to finish off the last shadow. I'd definitely like to play it again but I just wish it was a game that scaled a little better with more players.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:46 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
What are these "Mr.Bistro's rules?" And where can I find a copy? I've picked up 5 sets of BattleBall at thrift stores over the years, intending to use the bases of the figures for custom HeroScape characters and have only played this game once with @clancampbell .

Through a BGG Forum a connected with a group of gamers in the area where I used to live and to encourage them to keep coming out and support their efforts I drove over 100 miles (each way) to participate in one of their Tuesday Night sessions. So this evening I got to play:
Fairy Tale - my old friend Tom showed me one round while we waited for others to show up - I had NO CLUE what I was doing.
Samurai - I had played this once before with another @tom about two years ago, but this time I had a better understanding of the mechanics and victory conditions. I like this one enough to put it on my Wish List to replace Ikusa and Shenobi, which are just collecting dust.
Kill Mr. Lucky - I can now say that I have played something from Cheapass Games Inc. The design was OK, it was simple enough for even me to catch on rather quickly, but the quality of materials is horrible.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:04 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
What are these "Mr.Bistro's rules?" And where can I find a copy? I've picked up 5 sets of BattleBall at thrift stores over the years, intending to use the bases of the figures for custom HeroScape characters and have only played this game once with @clancampbell .
I don't know the game at all, but @Matt Helm has created some HS customs for some of the figures from BattleBall. Check them out here.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
@Johngee - Battleball Advanced rules
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
... a few games of Star Realms at home yesterday.
I really enjoy Star Realms. I need to play that more. I don't often find myself in 2-player gaming situations so I haven't brought it out enough. I'm thinking about getting extra decks to go multiplayer but I want to try it out first.

In any case, I had another board game night last night. I've been doing these pretty frequently lately. I guess I'll enjoy them while I can.

First up I had my first shot at Abyss. It's a pretty strange game with all the different little systems in it, particularly (as I have seen pointed out) how it has a lot of art and theme for what is essentially a pretty abstract game. The theme really doesn't make much sense, but I still enjoyed gathering resources and working things out. I was hardly going to win anyway but I unfortunately greatly misunderstood one aspect of the rules which led me to frequently overpaying for cards and making some bad decisions for points in the end. I still enjoyed it quite a bit and will gladly play it some more.

After that I taught two people how to play Suburbia. This economic hexagonal tile laying game is something I definitely really enjoy. I ended up making a minor mistake on one of the rules which inflated our scores a little and I felt a little extra guilty in the end when I thoroughly crushed my opponents. It would have been a little closer at least had they not allowed me to pretty easily secure all of the open end goals and land an extra 45 people. I still think they enjoyed themselves despite only just overtaking me if they combined their score and would be willing to play again, so I guess I didn't fail at teaching them in that respect.

After that I got into two 8-player games of Shadow Hunters. This is an interesting hidden roles and bluffing sort of game. I rather enjoyed it overall, though I must say that it can take a little while when you have so many players, especially when a major part of the game is player elimination. Perhaps we were just playing a little slow but I felt at odds with enjoying the chaos and uncertainty of having so many players and the fact that it would take quite some time for your turn to roll around to you again. Two neutral characters ended up winning both games we played, one ending very early with a suicidal character dying first to win the game and the other being stolen from the hunters who were about to finish off the last shadow. I'd definitely like to play it again but I just wish it was a game that scaled a little better with more players.
Good group of games @Ixe .

I own Surburbia and enjoy it, and have played the others games you listed twice each. Good stuff

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games