Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old May 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Wings of War: What to get

What to get?
So, this question gets repeatedly asked on BGG, and unfortunately not all the information is in one place. Having just gone through this myself, I thought I'd post the info here for any 'Scapers that might be interested in getting into the game.

The important thing to know is that the main components of the game are damage decks and maneuver decks. If you have the right decks of cards you can pretty much proxy any plane card or mini for any plane you want to play. (You can get a spreadsheet of all the plane stats here.)

Here's the breakdown of the decks in each boxed set:

Famous Aces:
Damage Deck: A
Maneuver Decks: A, B, C, D

Watch Your Back!
Damage Deck: B
Maneuver Decks: E, F, G, H

Burning Drachens
Damage Decks: A, C, D
Maneuver Decks: I, J

Additionally, each miniature includes the maneuver deck needed to play that plane. So, if you get one of each of the four types of Series I planes (Spad XIII, Albatross D. Va, Sopwith Camel, and Fokker DR. I) you'll have maneuver decks A, B, C, and D. The key point here is that if you have a copy of Burning Drachens and these four minis, you have absolutely no need to buy Famous Aces.

So if you're thinking about getting into Wings of War that's my recommendation: Get a copy of Burning Drachens and one each of the four types of Series I miniatures. That'll run you around $50, pre-shipping/tax.

If decide you like the game (and you will) the next thing to get would be a copy of Watch Your Back. That'll run around $18. At that point you'll have damage decks A through D, maneuver decks A through J, four minis (which you can proxy for pretty much any plane you want), plus all the rules for two-seaters and balloon busting.

After that, if you want the K, L, and M maneuver decks from the Top Fighters and Recon Patrol booster packs, you can get them instead by buying the Series II minis.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Wings of War

Very informative post, Elstree.
I hadn't stepped back to see the big picture of expansions and damage & maneuver decks.
Thanks for the breakdown.
Smells like Rep.

Last edited by Hex_Enduction_Hour; May 27th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I agree with HEH: Nice job, Elstree!!

Newb.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat!

Gamjuven, hope you don't mind, but I added a few links in your first post.
The links lead to a few good resources found in this thread: pictures, diagrams, and Elstrees insightful breakdown.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:21 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yes, Elstree, thanks for that. This was exactly what I've been trying to figure out for a while (what makes the most sense to purchase) and this was the first place I've ever seen it explained so clearly.

Maybe come Christmas time...

Last edited by jbbnbsmith; June 4th, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
South Florida Wave 8 Grand Champion

Blue Dane is surprisingly tart

Great post Elstree, very informative! Thanks!

Can't find it? Try the Index | Live in Florida? Belated National Heroscape Day in SoFL
South Florida Game Days |
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM

49ers Woo who?

This might not be the appropriate place to put this but, I didn't want to start a new thread. I am going to sell my fairly new (couple months old) collection of wings of war. I have each of the 12 planes from series one and famous aces. All are complete except for the original boxes for the planes. Only reason I am selling is to provide funds for the new heroscape coming out. Anyhow I thought I might give someone the chance here to make an offer before I ebay it. I know I am new so the sale can proceed however you want, such as me making a buy it now available on ebay for you so that you may have some security. If this was the wrong place for this then by all means move it or let me know and I will move it if I can figure out how. I honestly wish I could keep it but my wife doesn't like the game so I guess why keep it. If you want to make an offer pm me and I will respond. Thanks
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

PM sent.

How does this compare to the Crimson Skies game by WizKids? I thought that looked good but it bombed. This seems to be taking off...
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Emeritus Admin

Posted some images of WoW battles on a great-looking layout in my Battle Reports thread. Hopefully the images on PhotoBucket are viewable by now:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...867#post586867
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

There's a demo video of the star of the "Red Baron" movies playing Wings of War on the game's homepage:
http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3169
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM

grizz is surprisingly tart

This game looks great but i would only get into it if they come out with mid to late WWII minis and or jets.

Old June 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

They already have a WW2 game so I'd imagine that the minis for it aren't far behind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games