Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 19th, 2019, 04:43 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Discrepancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post

8 range and large immunities are certainly nice; I guess I don’t think that his benefits and losing Counter Strike is worth the 30 extra points.
And I also find counterstrike a bit overrated, so that probably plays into our various assessments.

~Dysole, observationally
Old October 19th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Discrepancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Quote:

8 range and large immunities are certainly nice; I guess I don’t think that his benefits and losing Counter Strike is worth the 30 extra points.
And I also find counterstrike a bit overrated, so that probably plays into our various assessments.

~Dysole, observationally
I did too, until Matthew’s Kaemon soloed 9 Dwarves and Mogrimm surrounding him two years ago...
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Casters of Valhalla

The second episode is starting to feel like a slog. Aim for one hour, I think. Which was probably your plan all along, but (like you said) you recorded these first couple together and then rushed the editing. I did appreciate the nod to one of my tournaments!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The second episode is starting to feel like a slog. Aim for one hour, I think. Which was probably your plan all along, but (like you said) you recorded these first couple together and then rushed the editing. I did appreciate the nod to one of my tournaments!
Thanks for the feedback, I agree that it’s too long. We also recorded until after 1AM, so we started getting sleepy lol. I also don’t think the second one is the type of thing you should listen to front to back, it’d definitely be better if it was split up over several commutes.

That tourney was a ton of fun! It’s too bad we don’t live closer.
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I agree that it’s too long. We also recorded until after 1AM, so we started getting sleepy lol. I also don’t think the second one is the type of thing you should listen to front to back, it’d definitely be better if it was split up over several commutes.

That tourney was a ton of fun! It’s too bad we don’t live closer.
Yup.

With 100 guys on the cast, I think 30 minutes might feel to short. My guess is your sweet spot will be 45-60 minutes.

= =
Old October 19th, 2019, 06:13 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Best Case Worst Case

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~Dysole, observationally
I did too, until Matthew’s Kaemon soloed 9 Dwarves and Mogrimm surrounding him two years ago...
It's certainly not bad (as your scenario indicates), but I think it's too often judged based on its best case scenario which inflates its value in people's minds.

~Dysole, who thinks its best function is as a deterrent to an attack
Old October 19th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Re: Best Case Worst Case

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~Dysole, observationally
It's certainly not bad (as your scenario indicates), but I think it's too often judged based on its best case scenario which inflates its value in people's minds.

~Dysole, who thinks its best function is as a deterrent to an attack
I agree, but it’s also not hard for it to kill 1-2 squaddies, which still has value. It’s not great of course, but it’s nice. 7 range is usually enough imo because you’re already out ranging WTF and Queqlix.
Old October 20th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah this episode definitely felt like a test, we really weren't organized and I think we were all stoked to finally get it off the ground that we just went with it. The second half definitely goes down the road of tangents and just has a hanging out feel, Nathan and Matthew left and it was basically us just chilling and talking anything heroscape. And I can talk about anything-heroscape for hours so it was fine by me haha, but for the listeners I imagine they want more of a structure.

Next episode we'll be more structured and prepared. I mean in this episode I asked midway through if we had started recording lol.

If you guys have any questions or topics you want us to answer or talk about, please post them here. It will be cool to respond directly to people. Kind of like a Q&A style thing.
Old October 20th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Discrepancies

Quote:
Quote:

~Dysole, observationally
I agree. Personal quote, "Fear no Counter."
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Yeah this episode definitely felt like a test, we really weren't organized and I think we were all stoked to finally get it off the ground that we just went with it. The second half definitely goes down the road of tangents and just has a hanging out feel, Nathan and Matthew left and it was basically us just chilling and talking anything heroscape. And I can talk about anything-heroscape for hours so it was fine by me haha, but for the listeners I imagine they want more of a structure.

Next episode we'll be more structured and prepared. I mean in this episode I asked midway through if we had started recording lol.

If you guys have any questions or topics you want us to answer or talk about, please post them here. It will be cool to respond directly to people. Kind of like a Q&A style thing.
I encourage you to make your next few episodes start with very basic concepts. Find something simple in the rules and build on that.

By starting with simple concepts and building from there, you will be making a podcast that is a little bit more accessible than one in which you are all just picking up threads you left hanging as you stood around the table (or played at) the finals in Indy. I'm definitely not saying "dumb it down." I'm saying, when you talk about adding structure to future episodes, structure them by beginning with some simple thing that is readily understandable. Spend some time on that and jump into the weeds from there.

= =
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

I encourage you to make your next few episodes start with very basic concepts. Find something simple in the rules and build on that.

By starting with simple concepts and building from there, you will be making a podcast that is a little bit more accessible than one in which you are all just picking up threads you left hanging as you stood around the table (or played at) the finals in Indy. I'm definitely not saying "dumb it down." I'm saying, when you talk about adding structure to future episodes, structure them by beginning with some simple thing that is readily understandable. Spend some time on that and jump into the weeds from there.
Absolutely agree. I’m going to make a conscious effort to cover more basic information first. For example, our next episode will cover the double blind meta in general: what’s good and why it’s good. It doesn’t make sense to jump into more complex topics without establishing a baseline understanding of that.
Old October 20th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just finished up the 2 hour episode, I enjoyed it. It’s very different for me to hear how you guys feel about certain units, and I suppose it mostly makes sense since you speak from a competitive/gencon experience, and I’ve only played scape with maybe 20 people total.

I’ve always loved the Feral Troll (let’s say that him, Syvarris, DW9K, and Zombies are my “pet” units that I typically just love regardless..) and from my experience with the troll, it is exactly as you guys say: he gets trashed by almost anything with multiple attacks, and he really only pulls his weight in hero only games, or in end game phase where there’s half squads or wounded heroes remaining on the map.

I know this unpopular opinion, and it’s my personal one, but I just hate Raelin (RotV anyway, SotM isn’t nearly as borked.) I 100% agree that she makes bad units usable, but she also makes so many high tier units even better/sturdier, and I feel that she is about as brain-dead easy to use as 4th Mass.

As far as ideas for content, here’s my two cents:

Go (maybe even in set/unit release order) over how you feel every unit in Heroscape can be best used and also how to best defeat/bypass them, maybe sticking strictly to rtw and prebuilt blind games. Perhaps in one episode, review the RotV set, and then in the next, review wave 1, and then 2, etc. Just an idea from me, and it is selfishly suggested because I feel like I would both be most interested in that content, and glean the most knowledge from it.

At the very least, it is a ton of content that can be produced, if the demand is there and you guys feel like supplying it.

Nice job, regardless!

Edit: Just remembered; constructive criticism - it sounds like somebody was breathing into their mic throughout that episode? Whatever it was, it wasn’t particularly pleasing to listen to. It’s minor issue that could probably easily be improved upon/fixed.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; October 20th, 2019 at 01:56 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion