Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old January 26th, 2019, 09:47 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Cleon's Maps: 3 New Maps 1/13/19!

Will be posting more maps later tonight. Any comments on the ones up so far?
Old January 27th, 2019, 12:38 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Hey! I've meant to drop some feedback your way for a bit now, and I've been slacking on that. I'll try to get some more your way soon, but I'll give you some quick thoughts:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the table and the black back drop a very flattering background for your maps. That's totally personal preference though. You do what you want.

The Flow:
I like this one overall - though a couple things I'd look out for. That lava hill is pretty intense, and melee figures will have a hard time getting up there to attack range figures without getting blasted a few times. The lava field tiles will mitigate that by bringing range back down a bit, but I'm wondering if they will mitigate it enough with how much elevation there is with the combination of the placement of the molten lava tiles. I dunno - something to look out for.
I don't love how close those two power glyphs are down in the sandy area - makes it easy to double cover with Raelin, plus you can park her by a bush pretty easy and even deny access to her fairly well because of the water and molten lava denying easy access between the sand area and the rock/lava area. Very unique design with great style - it definitely feels like lava flowing. Good jungle placement and use of ruins for LOS blockers.

That's all I have time for at the moment. I'll try to get some more thoughts your way sometime soon.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 28th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I really like that you have at least slight asymmetry to a lot of your maps, I've always enjoyed maps that do that to feel more like a "natural" battlefield while still retaining balance.

I also like how you use terrain to double as LoS blockers, though I share the concern with Flash that it could allow ranged figures, especially dragons, to sit up high and shoot for days. Definitely intriguing, though, and I'm interested enough to add them to my (very long) list of maps to try out.

Mountainside (love well-done single master set maps) and Impasse are especially high up on my list. Hopefully I'll get to play on them soon -- if so I'll let you know how they go!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 29th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Hey! I've meant to drop some feedback your way for a bit now, and I've been slacking on that. I'll try to get some more your way soon, but I'll give you some quick thoughts:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the table and the black back drop a very flattering background for your maps. That's totally personal preference though. You do what you want.

The Flow:
I like this one overall - though a couple things I'd look out for. That lava hill is pretty intense, and melee figures will have a hard time getting up there to attack range figures without getting blasted a few times. The lava field tiles will mitigate that by bringing range back down a bit, but I'm wondering if they will mitigate it enough with how much elevation there is with the combination of the placement of the molten lava tiles. I dunno - something to look out for.
I don't love how close those two power glyphs are down in the sandy area - makes it easy to double cover with Raelin, plus you can park her by a bush pretty easy and even deny access to her fairly well because of the water and molten lava denying easy access between the sand area and the rock/lava area. Very unique design with great style - it definitely feels like lava flowing. Good jungle placement and use of ruins for LOS blockers.

That's all I have time for at the moment. I'll try to get some more thoughts your way sometime soon.
I like the black background. How do you get rid of the table? I'll remove that for my maps from now on.

Yeah, the Flow is meant to be very thematic and aesthetically pleasing as a volcano flowing into the ocean/sandbar. Originally it was just RotV+VW and I ran into the problem you're talking about. Also I didnt have the ocean side built very well. But with the jungle added and a different ocean part it works much better than before.

I also see your concern with the sandbar area. What I like about The Flow is it's big enough where if someone's abusing one of the two sides, then the other player is basically guaranteed the other far glyph. Basically, the two sides are abusable, one has height+1 glyph, and the other has jungle+2 glyphs, but the distance is enough between them to dismantle too much power. It's essentially too hard to dominate both, especially with the ruins and general lava. The ruins help a lot against height dominance, too.

I am considering moving the two bushes from the sandbar and replacing them with unused water tiles and moving them for more cover/defense against the volcano area. But i do like the shooting matches that go on by both sides when fighting for the sandbar and how the jungle is used in that.

Thanks for the comments homie

Last edited by Cleon; January 29th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I really like that you have at least slight asymmetry to a lot of your maps, I've always enjoyed maps that do that to feel more like a "natural" battlefield while still retaining balance.

I also like how you use terrain to double as LoS blockers, though I share the concern with Flash that it could allow ranged figures, especially dragons, to sit up high and shoot for days. Definitely intriguing, though, and I'm interested enough to add them to my (very long) list of maps to try out.

Mountainside (love well-done single master set maps) and Impasse are especially high up on my list. Hopefully I'll get to play on them soon -- if so I'll let you know how they go!
Thanks man. Yeah I really like asymmetry, even if it's just slight. There's not enough asymmetrical maps out there imo, so I want to make as many as I can. There will be a fair share of symmetrical ones, too (ie - Hideout, Breach, Impasse).

I feel like you need to do that a lot of times when you are working with VW maps. There are often a lack of LoS blockers, so I think making some with raised Volcarren is the way to go, as long as you compensate enough for melee. You can do this with non-Volcarren terrain too but it's much much harder to make sure it's not a dominating dragon perch(es).

Mountainside is of my favorites I've made so far. Impasse is fun, I like how it really feels you're at a standstill (hence impasse) with your opponent.
Old February 5th, 2019, 02:45 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Glad to see you active again Cleon! Impasse looks like a lot of fun and I plan to try it out in some playtesting soon.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
How do you get rid of the table? I'll remove that for my maps from now on.
I'm so terrible - I forgot to respond to this.
When you have a map pulled up in VirtualScape, click on "Configuration", and then click on "Preferences". In the box that pulls up, there will be a little box checked in the top right corner that says "Display table" - uncheck that box, then click "Okay", and you're good to go.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old February 9th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Thought I'd give you a bit more feedback on maps too:

Mystic Discovery
It looks very creative, and I applaud your efforts to make balanced assymetric maps! A couple things stand out to me about this one - I don't love the potential for double coverage from Raelin on power glyphs - depending on what those glyphs are, that could be really difficult for the other player to recover from. Throw in some range to compliment raelin and your screen units, and any melee units are going to struggle. The middle also feels a bit choppy with all the up and down, which is going to give range plenty of opportunities to shoot while providing speed bumps for melee.

Breach
I really like the look of this one! I might consider dropping the height on those two hills a level or tweaking them a touch in order to make them a little easire to contest (or maybe there's a way to utilize some ladders? I dunno - just thinking out loud). Also, the placement of the pocket of height right next to the 3-piece walls looks like a really powerful position. Again, I think it looks pretty solid overall - I like the use of LOS blockers and it looks visually appealing.

Good work my friend! Keep them coming!

Old February 9th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
Glad to see you active again Cleon! Impasse looks like a lot of fun and I plan to try it out in some playtesting soon.
Thanks man, good to hear from you again. Impasse is a fun one.

Quote:
Quote:
How do you get rid of the table? I'll remove that for my maps from now on.
I'm so terrible - I forgot to respond to this.
When you have a map pulled up in VirtualScape, click on "Configuration", and then click on "Preferences". In the box that pulls up, there will be a little box checked in the top right corner that says "Display table" - uncheck that box, then click "Okay", and you're good to go.
Sweet, thank you.

Quote:
Thought I'd give you a bit more feedback on maps too:

Mystic Discovery
It looks very creative, and I applaud your efforts to make balanced assymetric maps! A couple things stand out to me about this one - I don't love the potential for double coverage from Raelin on power glyphs - depending on what those glyphs are, that could be really difficult for the other player to recover from. Throw in some range to compliment raelin and your screen units, and any melee units are going to struggle. The middle also feels a bit choppy with all the up and down, which is going to give range plenty of opportunities to shoot while providing speed bumps for melee.

Breach
I really like the look of this one! I might consider dropping the height on those two hills a level or tweaking them a touch in order to make them a little easire to contest (or maybe there's a way to utilize some ladders? I dunno - just thinking out loud). Also, the placement of the pocket of height right next to the 3-piece walls looks like a really powerful position. Again, I think it looks pretty solid overall - I like the use of LOS blockers and it looks visually appealing.

Good work my friend! Keep them coming!
Mystic Discovery - Yeah, this map I wanted to be as asymmetrical as I could make it haha, and I'm very happy with the results of balancing it for both sides. Whether the map is balanced as a whole is a different story; my intention for it was to be a slugfest in the middle with many glyphs and shadow spaces. I know it seems favored for slow range, but my hope is that the glyphs and shadow make up for it and let melee roll through. Basically, I tried to make the middle as powerful as I could despite it being low height. I can still see it being problematic though. One thing I made sure of was to make the highest points in the middle of the map and easily accessible from the middle. It definitely looks very hodgepodge-y, but the snow, shadow, and glyphs are very carefully placed. It only works with heavy snow, normal ice, I'd say. I made it about a year ago, but I should get some more games on it.

Breach - This map I partially modeled after Gamebear's Badru Valley, or at least I had that map in mind when I was constructing it. The two hills in the center are meant to be raised to provide cover (along with its battlements) for each side in getting to them. Once occupied, the other opposing side has the ruin on one side and the three-wall on the other for cover from the hills. The raised hexes next to the three-wall are to combat the hill if it's occupied. And all together the entire center of the map can be ran throughout thanks to the connected road, and can bring you to either glyph. I'm very happy with this one.

Thanks for the kind words Flash.
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Baron of Beantown V

New map!

Secret Cemetery:

Additional Pictures:

Spoiler Alert!

Download

Sets Required: 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 FotA
Glyphs: 4 random Power Glyphs
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Re: Cleon's Maps: New Map 2/9/19 - Secret Cemetery

Here's my first map of a series I'm doing alongside my typical map uploads - remakes of classic Hasbro maps. There's a lot of old Hasbro maps that I used to play on for competitive games, which mostly aren't balanced enough for competitive play anymore, but I like a lot of the ideas and structures that many encompassed. So I want to remake some or make maps that include some of the layouts of classic ones I admire. These won't be super common, but I do have another 'remake' done, which is included in the maps I listed.

One map I played on all the time was Wolf Swamp Road and I always loved it. But a very big problem with it was the AE. Here's my remake of it - Ambush. I decided to have five starting spaces on the early hills to prevent and combat potential AE drops, and, emphasize the idea of an ambush scenario in war.

Ambush:

Additional Pictures:

Spoiler Alert!

Download

Sets Required: 1 RotV, 1 RttFF
Glyphs: 2 random Power Glyphs

Greenlands is next!
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Cleon's Maps: New Map 2/9/19 - Secret Cemetery

Quote:
Ambush:

Awesome, I loved Wolf Swamp Road! This is a really cool take on it! For competitive play, I don't love that the glyphs are only 1 move away from some start zones and would just make them a little more even, and I think there's a little too much "dead space" between the main start zones and the area where the action will actually happen. But I love how you've turned the scenario into a really cool way to represent the ambush scenario! Great job!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios