Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 6th, 2015, 07:25 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Shades of Bleakewoode

Shades of Bleakewoode
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:13 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Yet again, the ranking system could use a serious re haul for some units, these in particular. Easily worth at least a B rating, IMO. I've had much success with the Shades. The mere intimidation factor alone can sway inexperienced players strategies. Slightly expensive for a stand alone squad, however, in large groups they can really shine! Love the Shades!

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Yet again, the ranking system could use a serious re haul for some units, these in particular. Easily worth at least a B rating, IMO.
Although the C3V's Crypt Guardian can double their chances of success with Soul Devour, the Shades are simply too anti-hero and too expensive to be anything higher than a C.

~TAF, who thinks Shades are cool, just not competitive

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 15th, 2015, 10:09 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Phantom Knights have one more attack, one less move but stealth flying, and 3 extra defense against range, and cost 30 less. Even without the chance to take over a hero, they are WAY better than Shades of Bleakewoode and are therefore ranked A-/B+. I agree with above posters that Shades might be decent in Heat of Battle or really low start zone/figure count (12 or less) scenarios with some Crypt Guardians and Dumatef Guards, but not any other tournaments, and even then I'd probably still rather have Phantom Knights by a mile, as in 300 points you can have one extra squad of them.

If you want a "B" version of the card, see my Competitive Unit Alter of them:
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Intimidation factor alone can sway inexperienced players strategies [re. seasoned players will not be fooled]. Expensive for a stand alone squad.
Edited for Clarity.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:11 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Clearly

I mean it just means he's never played Shades against anyone running a lot of good common squads (and I don't mean x1 of each). Honestly, the only time I thought Shades were a great idea was when kevindola brought them in one of the online events (Heat of Battle + Chaos of Battle (opponent places your figures on the board with some slight restrictions) bring 2 armies). Won the whole thing (although admittedly not with the shades but dok made it close with them). Worth noting that kevindola is also a really good player so I do not recommend this strategy in general.

~Dysole, who one time at a tournament where you could pick from about forty armies and play round robin style (just couldn't play the same army more than once) played in a Get Rid of Your Opponent's Most Expensive Figure match and my opponent grabbed Charos + Rhogar. I grabbed Shades + Sudema and won after about 4 turns.
Old December 17th, 2015, 02:19 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

See, I never had much luck with the Shades; they seem pretty pricey for just the three of them. Then again, I've only used them on a few occasions, so maybe it's due to my lack of practice with them. I'm content with their ratings.

~JS, who wouldn't likely attribute his negative opinion of the Shades to his lack of experience with them, but it's a possibility
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

They really shine in the not recommended classic/Marvel mash-up game.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

100 points is what kills them. If the Shades were cheaper, they might be an alternative to the PK's. If you want a better squad, you can use Phantom Knights. Better 200-point stealth flying? Use Cyprien and Sonya. Their powers are too niche to be of any use in competitive armies, and often die from the swing-back. From time to time they can steal Charos or something, but against (Most) competitive armies, they'll steal nothing, or maybe a bonding hero? I want to like the Shades, but I can't.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:59 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Phantom Knights have one more attack, one less move but stealth flying, and 3 extra defense against range, and cost 30 less. Even without the chance to take over a hero, they are WAY better than Shades of Bleakewoode and are therefore ranked A-/B+. I agree with above posters that Shades might be decent in Heat of Battle or really low start zone/figure count (12 or less) scenarios with some Crypt Guardians and Dumatef Guards, but not any other tournaments, and even then I'd probably still rather have Phantom Knights by a mile, as in 300 points you can have one extra squad of them.

If you want a "B" version of the card, see my Competitive Unit Alter of them:
Nice, but that seems really powerful for just 100 points. Personally, that feels like 120 points at least. Also, I feel the Phantom Knights are a bit on the under costed side, too.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 18th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
They really shine in the not recommended classic/Marvel mash-up game.
I prefer not to mix universes when I play, but holy ghost...! Imagine stealing Thanos...

Old December 18th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
See, I never had much luck with the Shades; they seem pretty pricey for just the three of them. Then again, I've only used them on a few occasions, so maybe it's due to my lack of practice with them. I'm content with their ratings.

~JS, who wouldn't likely attribute his negative opinion of the Shades to his lack of experience with them, but it's a possibility
Yeah, I've been using them alot the past few months, and the more the merrier when it comes to them. You need to roll that D20 as often as possible to get the magic number(s). As a single squad, they aren't worth the points, IMO, but in 2-4 groups, watch out!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units