Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:41 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Finally got to listen to this at work today! Really good stuff! There's been mention bout the length of the second recording, but I don't think I minded as much (because I was at work...) and it sounds like you'll have that under control in the future.

I completely agreed with the huge variance compiled in the Marrden Hounds. They're probably my least favorite unit to play -- as noted, not because they're bad, but because of the variance.

For the Groks, have any of you tried mixing a squad in with Romans? I tried that at an earlier Utah tourney to decent effect, though of course I had 3x Romans and Raelin, so it's hard to be bad with that. Plus our Utah competitive-level is much lower than GenCon. They were nice for the possible 5A against a big hero, though.

Anyway, love the podcast! I've been excited for it ever since hearing it was going to be a thing! Thanks to all who are involved bringing it to life!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 23rd, 2019, 12:41 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Finally got to listen to this at work today! Really good stuff! There's been mention bout the length of the second recording, but I don't think I minded as much (because I was at work...) and it sounds like you'll have that under control in the future.

I completely agreed with the huge variance compiled in the Marrden Hounds. They're probably my least favorite unit to play -- as noted, not because they're bad, but because of the variance.

For the Groks, have any of you tried mixing a squad in with Romans? I tried that at an earlier Utah tourney to decent effect, though of course I had 3x Romans and Raelin, so it's hard to be bad with that. Plus our Utah competitive-level is much lower than GenCon. They were nice for the possible 5A against a big hero, though.

Anyway, love the podcast! I've been excited for it ever since hearing it was going to be a thing! Thanks to all who are involved bringing it to life!
The length thing is definitely partially subjective. For example, I paint a lot of minis, so long podcasts (like one of my favorites) are nice to listen to while painting. OTOH, more structured, shorter podcasts (like the rest of my favorites) are great when I want to specifically focus on learning and improving at something, rather than needing background noise. The second category is what we'll be going with, but it is feasibly possible that we do a long non-tent (no to low content) cast in the distant future with the disclaimer that it'll be a lot like what we initially put out.

I've never done a 1x Grok splash with Romans before; it certainly seems fun, and might be something that's viable in the Main Event RtW meta. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for listening!
Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:19 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just a general question you can cover. How do you beat vegietarian18 on an online game? No hurry, just need you to brake down the answer completely before I play this week! Seriously, thanks for doing this podcast, it will be awesome!!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:29 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Just a general question you can cover. How do you beat vegietarian18 on an online game? No hurry, just need you to brake down the answer completely before I play this week! Seriously, thanks for doing this podcast, it will be awesome!!
Just turn off the whole internet.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; October 23rd, 2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Or use spiders to beat his dividers?
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:34 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Can’t lose if you don’t play.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:39 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Can’t lose if you don’t play.
thanks guys! I think I will just roll my 1 skull out of three again and ride it to victory!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:35 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post

I think that's probably the way to go if you're trying to run the Groks competitively. Something like Romans x3, NGS, MBS, Groks x1 as a base looks like the best option for them, or maybe Romans x2, NGS, Groks x1 is more appropriate as the 'base' (though I think adding Romans x1 + MBS after that is almost a given).
Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:43 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

2016 was a high point total Main Event Year, allowing some reasonable Grok builds. I went a similar vein but opposite splash for prep events. Groks x2, NGS, MBS, Raelin, MW, Romans x1, Marcu. Surprisingly effective when ordered correctly.

I think any competitive Grok build has to be played at 530 to include MW with the obvious base build
Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:43 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Even Brad, who has championed virtually every terrible unit out there - Roman Archers, Sir Dupuis, Protectors of Ullar, you name it, and that's just at GenCon & in GenCon prep - has given up even trying with the Grok Riders.

edit: @kevindola , you wouldn't know Brad. He's your opposite. Never here; always in person.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 24th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
2016 was a high point total Main Event Year, allowing some reasonable Grok builds. I went a similar vein but opposite splash for prep events. Groks x2, NGS, MBS, Raelin, MW, Romans x1, Marcu. Surprisingly effective when ordered correctly.

I think any competitive Grok build has to be played at 530 to include MW with the obvious base build
My mind goes to Groks x1, Romans x3, NGS, MBS, Raelin, Krav for 600pt. competitive. I guess in 600pt. Groks x2 is more doable, but I'm still very reluctant about it.

Also GenCon 2016, like the past 8 GenCon main events, were Reverse the Whip formats and it's always hard to gauge what competitive discussion means now that RtW is popular. Like I think Groks x2 is bad in the normal format (especially in lower point totals), but in RtW I guess it's much better?
Old October 24th, 2019, 08:54 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

You are correct, I was considering Main Event as 'competitive' discussion, but maybe that's incorrect. I know opinions vary.

I will just comment that figure limits are relatively trendy as well nowadays making a splashed Roman style build a bit more palatable then the reverse.

But of course, in a standard power rankings style evaluation of 500-24 double blind, you will never get the payback on only 3 defense melee squad figures at 43 points a figure. (without another mitigating defensive power)
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really enjoyed to 1st 2 podcasts. I'd like to add that the length doesn't matter if the content is good, which it was for the most part. I would also suggest to just sticking with two people to start with. Once you get 3 or 4 people on mic it's easier to go on tangents, talk over each other and lose conversation threads.

As a non-tournament player, I'm always interested in hearing about other formats that people play. Any favorites? Also I'd like to hear about best teams made from B- figures and under (400 to 500 pts).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion