Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 19th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Specters of Aldorn by @Leaf It

When I reviewed the previous iteration, I really liked the Specters of Aldorn, but they were dangerously dominant on a number of map types. I also disliked the class of Harbingers. This rework attempts to address both of these points.

The change of class to Terrors is, sadly, not an improvement. Like Harbingers, it does nothing to inform the player about their playstyle and even, like Harbingers, is possibly misleading. Rushing in and frightening opponents really isn't the optimal way to use them, rather they work better once enemy figures have advanced into their threat range. The new class also doesn't do anything thematically, since they already have the Terrifying personality. So a lateral move on the class.

The change of cost from 50 to 60 points isn't huge, but it is very significant for a common squad. The biggest key to their prior dominance was their sheer numbers for the cost. A 20% cost increase makes a sizeable difference when running lots of them. I ran a bunch of tests with the new value, and it is a much better fit. They are still pretty solid in general, and quite strong on the right map, but beatable.

All the positive things I said in my prior review are still valid. I love the overall design, both in terms of gameplay and theme. Their abilities make them play a bit different than anything else out there, and all of their powers are important to the design.

I vote Yea to induct the Specters of Aldorn into the SoV.

Last edited by Scytale; November 17th, 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 19th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Terrifying Terrors? Oof.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Honestly liked Specters as a class the most. Even if it was in their name.
Old September 20th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Other classes for ghosty types have been devourer, knight and marauder so maybe something akin to that. Then again Deathreavers are deathreaver so hmmm... maybe just hunter or assassin?

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:50 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I would like to submit my Great Axes of Ironstone, and Dalmar Stonewall.

Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!
Dwarven squads in Heroscape all have a unique dwarvern themed ability that speaks to the nature of dwarves. The Axegrinders have Fearless Advantage, and the Sheildsmiths have Indomitable. So in keeping with the theme, the Great Axes have Tenacity. They are stubborn little guys, and they aren't going to let their average 3/3 stats stop them from being able to throw a potential 5 skulls/shields from height. 4 move means that you won't usually want to lead with them, but once they see a fight, they get invigorated, and can charge forward with new energy.

80 points might seem high initially, but Tenacity is not to be underestimated. It isn't a generic auto shield/skull, but it's still potent, especially if you get height. Raelin can boost them, making them very tanky, but being melee units, this usually isn't relevant, unless the opponent is pushing your startzone, and with their lower movement, range can shoot over them to take her out. Tealord is expensive enough, that the boost he provides isn't going to push them over the edge, especially since they're melee. The spirits are great on them, but still not the best option out there.

Darmal Stonewall is a seasoned warrior, who has no qualms with walking right up to the biggest enemy, and punishing them if they ignore him. He watches over the battlefield pointing out the enemies weaknesses, and inspiring bravery in his fellow warriors.

Dalmar is a fun new bonding option, that loves to be right up in the middle of things. He'll put a stop to any anti-squad heros that might be trying to eat your dwarves for lunch,. unless they have disengage/phantom walk. The Heros of the Dwarves usually have a defensive power, but in place of that, Dalmar just has high defense stats, which compliments his personality, and his role of tying down the big guys on the enemy team.

These figures come together as a set, along with 5 d20s.
Spoiler Alert!

They are made by EM4 Miniatures, which are located in the United Kingdom. You can buy them here, or if you are in the US, I have purchased 10 extra sets to save you on the international shipping. I'll buy more if they pass the SoV so that international shipping won't be a problem for anyone.
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:39 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I like the designs, and I think a unique squad is a good add to the Dwarf faction. Not sure the hero adds as much but since he comes in the set I suppose that's a good reason for including him.

It's worth noting that these figures are (prepainted) metal, although that's not a big issue to me since they're so small. I would be worried about a large metal figure that could potentially break terrain pieces if it was dropped on them. Their basing is also weird, but not a dealbreaker at all.

I don't like the name Imposing Threat for Dalmar's power. He's small 3, 60 points, and has 3 attack. None of those are imposing. The mechanic is fine, but I'd prefer a different name that makes it feel more like a protective power.

So I'll vote to review the Great Axes, and I'll hold off on a vote on Dalmar for now.

I'll be interested to see how good Tenacity is.
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:42 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Unrelated post:

I'm working on getting all figures under SoV review playable for Online Heroscape. I have most of them so far but I still need topdowns for Soontir Van, Swaysil, the Beakface Rogue, and the Catalan Mercenaries.

If you have any of those figures and would be willing to take topdown photos (cell phone camera works great) of some of them, I'd appreciate that. The figures do not have to be rebased. You can send them to me via PM.
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:49 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
Here goes a triple post.

Speaking of Swaysil, it seems like the Photobucket curse has gotten her. Can you reupload to another hosting site (imgur is what I use)?
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:07 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
Here goes a triple post.

Speaking of Swaysil, it seems like the Photobucket curse has gotten her. Can you reupload to another hosting site (imgur is what I use)?

Here ya go! I updated the original post. I'm not sure were the og Swaysil of the Northlands card is, so unfortunately I can't update that one as well for reference.

I've been pretty swamped with college lately, unfortunately, but I've been doing my best to keep up with what's going on here. I'm all about more Dwarves, and the figures look real cool. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Tenacity as a power tho. Tenacity suggests the kind of thing that would kick in all the time, not just when you get lucky and hit good. In any case, good luck!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I like the designs, and I think a unique squad is a good add to the Dwarf faction. Not sure the hero adds as much but since he comes in the set I suppose that's a good reason for including him.

It's worth noting that these figures are (prepainted) metal, although that's not a big issue to me since they're so small. I would be worried about a large metal figure that could potentially break terrain pieces if it was dropped on them. Their basing is also weird, but not a dealbreaker at all.

I don't like the name Imposing Threat for Dalmar's power. He's small 3, 60 points, and has 3 attack. None of those are imposing. The mechanic is fine, but I'd prefer a different name that makes it feel more like a protective power.

So I'll vote to review the Great Axes, and I'll hold off on a vote on Dalmar for now.

I'll be interested to see how good Tenacity is.
Would Bulwark or Warden be a suitable name in place of Imposing Threat?
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:18 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I am against the name Strategic Charge for that power. In HeroScape, Strategic is generally a keyword for a power that gives a choice between two benefits (such as with the Dreadguls or Axegrinders), but Strategic Charge does not present any such choice.

I remember when these guys were in the Pre-SoV Workshop, Dysole suggested Tactical Charge as a possible alternative. Have you considered that or another replacement for the name Strategic Charge?
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I am against the name Strategic Charge for that power. In HeroScape, Strategic is generally a keyword for a power that gives a choice between two benefits (such as with the Dreadguls or Axegrinders), but Strategic Charge does not present any such choice.

I remember when these guys were in the Pre-SoV Workshop, Dysole suggested Tactical Charge as a possible alternative. Have you considered that or another replacement for the name Strategic Charge?
Tactical Charge works for me. Also I broke that precedent with Maltis Tez, and Strategic Repositioning.

What's your take on the Imposing Threat power name?

I think Bulwark works pretty well. A Bulwark is a defensive wall, and if you look up synonyms for "Protector" Bulwark is one of them. Additionally Dalmar's title of Stonewall fits it pretty well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs