Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old April 29th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
The Spellbook of Mesmerize

The Spellbook of Mesmerize

C3G SUPER SECRET EXCLUSIVE 52
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?

Card PDF

Spell Bio - Mesmerism, a term coined after Franz Anton Mesmer, its pioneer in the 1800s, is a technique which uses mainly non-verbal actions such as gaze, passes (strokes) and fascination to lull the recipient into a state of trance, and to affect the body’s energy field. When employed by a sufficiently powerful magician, it can be used to stop attacking enemies in their tracks, weakening their blows or preventing them altogether. As such, it has been utilised by numerous students of the magical arts in combat, though, perhaps, by none so successfully as by Baron Mordo.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Splash; August 1st, 2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: png
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: The Spellbook of Mesmerise

NAME = MESMERIZE
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE SPELL
POINTS = 30 POINTS

Immediately before an opponent's figure within 3 clear sight spaces of this figure rolls attack dice for a normal attack against this figure, you may cast this spell to subtract 3 dice from that attack, to a minimum of 1 attack die.

Original Design
Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; July 26th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Hard as ice

Art:
Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Gotta go American English on these. Anything else is anarchy.
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Ugh... if you insist.

(In all seriousness, though I'll use British English most of the time, I recognise the precedential need in the OP - it's just instinctive to use British English, I didn't even think ).

Also, you caught and posted that immensely quickly sir - well done, fast reflexes there!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 29th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Ugh... if you insist.

(In all seriousness, though I'll use British English most of the time, I recognise the precedential need in the OP - it's just instinctive to use British English, I didn't even think ).

Also, you caught and posed that immensely quickly sir - well done, fast reflexes there!
Yeah, I'm sure that's a weird adjustment to make. I probably would not do great remembering to switch up my spelling.
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Hard as ice

- Theme Test - Pass, it feels like Mesmerism to me.
- Mirror Test - Pass
- Bonding Test - Pass- Spells don't bond.
- Synergies Test - Pass - No synergies.
- Power Check - Pass - It's certainly very useful, but not super strong.
- Fun Test - Pass - It's a fun, helpful little defensive spell.
- Fun Competitive Test - Pass - Possibly a little frustrating, but it's a one time use and not exactly entirely crippling.
- Drafting Test - Pass - I'd certainly consider drafting it if I have 25 points left and have a magic user, especially if I know I'm going up against multi-attackers or another mage (or am taking Mordo ).
- Usage Test - Pass - You'll almost certainly use it at least once, even if it doesn't work (which it might not if you're trying to use it against someone like Thor.)
- Strategy Test - Pass - Here's this really useful defensive spell. You can cast it one time. Choose it wisely.

Name Of The Playtest Unit: Mesmerise

Army Test 1

Map: Underground Catacombs (no glyphs)
Armies:
Selene Gallio, Jubilee, Mesmerise (20) (450 points)
vs.
Black Bat, Batgirl (Barbara Gordon), Robin (Tim Drake) (450 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
Map: Quasatch Playground (No Glyphs)
Armies;
Doctor Fate, Star-Lord, Mesmerise (25) (565 points)
vs.
Selene Gallio, Wild Child, Final Ruin, Vapours of Valtorr (565 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts On The Tested Unit's Cost, Balance, & Draftibility:

It's a fun, cheap little defensive spell. There's nothing really exploitable about it when it comes to who you're using it with, so far as I can tell - it'll give a nice bonus to any mage with a counter strike style ability, but I believe only Mordo falls into that category right now, and it's specifically designed to go alongside him. Selene likes it, but that's more because she hates taking wounds rather than anything she herself can specifically do with it. What's more likely to bump its value is who you're using it against, with multi-attackers and fellow magic users being good targets for Mesmerism. Then again, there are some bad targets as well - guys with a long enough range to keep away from it (which can be countered with Vapours of Valtorr, but that's an extra 35 points on top of what you're already spending and this is still a one time use), and guys with a big enough attack that they may well inflict the one wound they're able to inflict on a magic user even when Mesmerised, such as Thor or Superman. Batgirl (Barbara) would also be a good target to use it on for much the same reasoning as what I was saying about counterstrike powers. In the end, it's a nice defensive power with a helpful interaction with Mordo and which acts as a helpful counter to a decent number of figures, but is still a one time use, has work-arounds and may not exactly work anyway. 25 Points feels about right to me - I'd pay that, though I'm not sure I'd pay much more. Bear in mind these tests were under nigh-ideal conditions for its use, and Fate was still slaughtered. I plan to move it forward at 25 once I've got Hypnotise done to go alongside it.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Selene Gallio, Jubilee, Mesmerise (25) (455 points)
vs.
Sorry, not singling you out but this is becoming a big deal for me lately...

Technically you tested it at 20 points so the above should reflect that.

It's fine to have variations in the testing early on, just document it that way so we can keep track. Low cost things like this may not make a difference but we should develop the good habits.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Selene Gallio, Jubilee, Mesmerise (25) (455 points)
vs.
Sorry, not singling you out but this is becoming a big deal for me lately...

Technically you tested it at 20 points so the above should reflect that.

It's fine to have variations in the testing early on, just document it that way so we can keep track. Low cost things like this may not make a difference but we should develop the good habits.
Sorry - still in regular testing habits, where I'd test units at the listed cost but the games might not come in with even with both sides.
Honestly, I am still kind of looking at 25 for it right now - ideally, I'd love to see Mesmerise at 25 and Hypnotise at 35 so that they fit together nicely. Then both of them and Mordo (if he stays at my presently estimated 260) will come in at 320, which sounds good to me.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Sorry - still in regular testing habits, where I'd test units at the listed cost but the games might not come in with even with both sides.
I feel like even with regular testing we should put the actual cost played at in those situations. It helps if we are borderline on going one way or the other if we see that some of the results were actually from test at a slight difference.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Hard as ice

- Theme Test - Pass, it feels like Mesmerism to me.
- Mirror Test - Pass
- Bonding Test - Pass- Spells don't bond.
- Synergies Test - Pass - No synergies.
- Power Check - Pass - It's certainly very useful, but not super strong.
- Fun Test - Pass - It's a fun, helpful little defensive spell.
- Fun Competitive Test - Pass - Possibly a little frustrating, but it's a one time use and not exactly entirely crippling.
- Drafting Test - Pass - I'd certainly consider drafting it if I have 25 points left and have a magic user, especially if I know I'm going up against multi-attackers or another mage (or am taking Mordo ).
- Usage Test - Pass - You'll almost certainly use it at least once, even if it doesn't work (which it might not if you're trying to use it against someone like Thor.)
- Strategy Test - Pass - Here's this really useful defensive spell. You can cast it one time. Choose it wisely.

Name Of The Playtest Unit: Mesmerise

Army Test 1

Map: Underground Catacombs (no glyphs)
Armies:
vs.
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
Map: Quasatch Playground (No Glyphs)
Armies;
Doctor Fate, Star-Lord, Mesmerise (25) (565 points)
vs.
Selene Gallio, Wild Child, Final Ruin, Vapours of Valtorr (565 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts On The Tested Unit's Cost, Balance, & Draftibility:

It's a fun, cheap little defensive spell. There's nothing really exploitable about it when it comes to who you're using it with, so far as I can tell - it'll give a nice bonus to any mage with a counter strike style ability, but I believe only Mordo falls into that category right now, and it's specifically designed to go alongside him. Selene likes it, but that's more because she hates taking wounds rather than anything she herself can specifically do with it. What's more likely to bump its value is who you're using it against, with multi-attackers and fellow magic users being good targets for Mesmerism. Then again, there are some bad targets as well - guys with a long enough range to keep away from it (which can be countered with Vapours of Valtorr, but that's an extra 35 points on top of what you're already spending and this is still a one time use), and guys with a big enough attack that they may well inflict the one wound they're able to inflict on a magic user even when Mesmerised, such as Thor or Superman. Batgirl (Barbara) would also be a good target to use it on for much the same reasoning as what I was saying about counterstrike powers. In the end, it's a nice defensive power with a helpful interaction with Mordo and which acts as a helpful counter to a decent number of figures, but is still a one time use, has work-arounds and may not exactly work anyway. 25 Points feels about right to me - I'd pay that, though I'm not sure I'd pay much more. Bear in mind these tests were under nigh-ideal conditions for its use, and Fate was still slaughtered. I plan to move it forward at 25 once I've got Hypnotise done to go alongside it.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:38 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Spellbook of Mesmerize (Initial Playtesting)

I'm guessing someone moved some posts to this thread from the Mordo thread as I'm pretty sure I already read them once before.

Not a interesting as the other spell you are running as it is pretty cut and dried as to what it does. Best use outside of Mordo is multi-attackers, which can be a danger for MD figures. Which makes it a great counter draft when your opponent takes the Punisher and you have a couple of MD figures.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library