Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old September 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
WIP Custom Garruk

So, I stumbled upon the Reaper Bones Figure 'Anvil Thricedamned' and noticed an Uncanny resemblance to a certain Green Planeswalker.

This spurred me on to make a custom card to go with my now painted Garruk, so here it is! Critiques welcome! I think I'll also use this thread to post the 2 custom Squads I intend to make to go with him (one will most likely be a pack of Wolves because I can easily get minis for it)

I'm still tweaking the Army Card. One of the things I have considered to make it more flavorful and try to buff Melee (since in HS it seems Ranged is traditionally more powerful) would be to have Primal Roar grant +1 ATK to all Range 1 units with in 3-4 Clear Sight spaces of Garruk. That would probably warrant removing sweeping Strike though.
He probably also deserves to be Height 5 if Gideon is, I just got impatient with hacking together the image
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:02 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation
Re: WIP Custom Garruk

You might want to clarify: "Green creatures you control gain trample .. "

But cool ideas!!
Old September 14th, 2015, 08:40 PM

Awazzzz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Very cool card and figure! I have some suggestions that may or may not be helpful.

When a herosacpe figure can attack multiple figures, the card usually specifies whether you roll once for all the defenders or roll separately for each.

If it were me, I would include Garruk in the "Primal Roar" ability. That way you could have the third ability be something different. Maybe one that gives his emblem, although you would have to modify it becasue here aren't creature spells in AotP. I think "Buff Melee" would also be good for a third ability - I would go with one like "Rampage" (+1 for each adjacent) so that it works well with the trample.

Anyway, nice work. I look forward to seeing your wolves.
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

You might want to clarify Sweeping Strikes, which is very similar to Shurrak's special attack. Primal Roar might need a re-write to include Garruk. (Shaves some words off) I would recommend a third power, maybe about the "Glory of the Hunt". I can't wait to see Garruk's Companions.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Finally got around to making a card for the Wolf squad I wanted. Going to give Garruk + Wolves + Archers a shot today

Old November 13th, 2015, 05:48 PM

TechToaster Woo who?

A Garruk Silhouette based off the official cards, thanks for showing me! Thought I should share with you! I can't wait to order that piece too since it seems to be roughly the same size as the rest of the AotP pieces!

Also, would Pack Hunt benefit from this wording? :

"Pack Hunt - When Briarpack Alpha declares an attack, roll an additional die for each additional Briarpack Alpha creature adjacent to declared target."

I dunno though, maybe not, I just woke up.
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Silhouette looks great! I'll try to chop it in to my image

I agree the wording on packhunt needs some cleanup, but I was trying to make it so the buff is limited to 1 dice. Three 5 dice attacks for a 70 point squad seemed a bit much. I realize it's hard to get 3 big bases engaged with the same model but it can happen.
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:12 PM

TechToaster Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Silhouette looks great! I'll try to chop it in to my image

I agree the wording on packhunt needs some cleanup, but I was trying to make it so the buff is limited to 1 dice. Three 5 dice attacks for a 70 point squad seemed a bit much. I realize it's hard to get 3 big bases engaged with the same model but it can happen.
That makes more sense, only rolling an additional die. Though these wolves would even work with my Garruk, as I bet the pack would stick close to garruk to get the extra +1 attack off being within 4 clear sight spaces of him. Mind if I base my next creatures off these? Mine will be different, Black/Green again, but I like the concept.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:25 PM

I don't mind one bit, The model is the Reaper Bones 77202 Warg. If you have a decent size LGS around they likely have a couple on the shelf. I actually ran a game today with the intention of playtesting Garruk and the Wolves, but it ended up being Liliana that did 95% of the work that game (Lili + Garruk vs Jace + Chandra) so it wasn't a very worthwhile playtest lol
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:34 PM

TechToaster Woo who?

Did you play with 3 other people? If so, could you totally test mine? Because I noticed how you said Liliana did the majority of the work, but I did design my Garruk with the intention of being made to work hand-in-hand with Liliana, especially since Garruk is currently under Liliana's control in the lore.

*** EDIT ***

BTW, what is LGS?

Last edited by TechToaster; November 13th, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:12 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

LGS is Local Game Store

How about this for Pack Hunt?
Pack Hunt - While attacking, if more than one Briarpack Alpha is adjacent to a target, the first Briarpack Alpha to attack the target can roll an additional attack die.

This would limit the extra die to the first attacker. However, in the chance that there might be more than one figure adjacent to two or more Alphas, an attack against a second target would also gain the bonus.

If you don't want to have the power useful against a second figure, then this might work.
Pack Hunt - While attacking, if more than one Briarpack Alphas is adjacent to a target, the first Briarpack Alpha to attack the target can roll an additional attack die. Pack Hunt may only be used against one target per turn.
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Not this game, although we did play a 4 player 2v2 yesterday as well.
The game today was 2v2, shuffled all 24 cards for our two colors together, and you could pick any Army card (were't restricted Black->Green->Black->Green or anything)
I can try to get a game in with your Garruk sometime soon, I'll shoot you a PM once I get a chance to

Also LGS is board-game nerd slang for 'Local Game Shop' sometimes prefixed with an 'F' for Friendly

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender