Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
I noticed that it looked nicely balanced and attractive. I worry about the highest high points, but I have to admit I do look forward to building it (and GameBear's Bad Moon, by the by) when I have a chance. It definitely interests me, though I'm not sure it was made to be a tourney map, necessarily.
Well it does satisfy the requirements and ertainly looks like a tournament map.
Perhaps you could play it a few times and maybe try in a tournament or two, get feedback and then if it everything adds up well you could nominate it.
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:00 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
Quote:
I noticed that it looked nicely balanced and attractive. I worry about the highest high points, but I have to admit I do look forward to building it (and GameBear's Bad Moon, by the by) when I have a chance. It definitely interests me, though I'm not sure it was made to be a tourney map, necessarily.
Well it does satisfy the requirements and ertainly looks like a tournament map.
Perhaps you could play it a few times and maybe try in a tournament or two, get feedback and then if it everything adds up well you could nominate it.
You just gave me an idea.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Except when I need the move boost

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
...trying to get a full day's work done, as well as be a contributing Scaper .
Silly Rabbit. Can't be done.
Which do you choose?

I Hate Atlaga is the Roman Legionnaire...
in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Maps currently being reviewed:

Eggbeater by dok

Eggbeater is another of our recent applicants using Marvel and D&D master sets together. As many of us have come to see, this is a very challenging combination to work with. The limitations in both type and number of hexes can really handcuff designers. I commend dok on this map for making a solid map out of this set.

dok has used the road set to generate a nice little figure 8 on the board and this keeps the action fast throughout. The map itself is a bit on the small side which also keeps things moving quickly. The trees and rocks are used to go effect and several lines of sight are cut down. I might have preferred to have the trees moved up closer to the glyphs, as the area around them is pretty bare.

The gameplay on this map is very quick and armies are able to get around the map rapidly. I enjoyed the brutal nature of games on this map and the speed of play.

My biggest gripe with the map is a byproduct of the terrain used. With the limitations on hexes (especially single hexes of the proper color) dok is left with road on the highest level as the figure eight goes around the rock and big tree. From a gameplay and aesthetic standpoint, I'm not a fan of this. Personally, I prefer it when figures on the highest ground have to give up the additional movement bonuses from the road. Coupling this hexes with their proximity to the glyph and I think the real estate is too powerful for map balance.

My second gripe is also a function of the terrain used: it's simply not a good looking map. Aesthetics always come second to gameplay in my reviews, but I think they are worth mentioning. I see the value in having a map with this terrain combination in the BoV and I realize there is only so much you can visually do with these hexes. That said, I don't know if this is the best visual presentation for this set.

This is another map that falls into the "good, not great" category for me. dok is a solid map maker and has proven he knows what he's doing. This map feels hamstrung by its terrain sets employed and doesn't quite overcome them. I vote NO for induction.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Thank you to all the judges who took the time to consider my map. As always, reading the reviews of my maps really gets my creative juices bubbling.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

FYI -- I've completed voting links for the 2009-current reviewed BoV maps.
Possible resubmissions are now more obvious. (Only explicit encouragements have been noted).

Last edited by UtahScott; April 2nd, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

FYI--UtahScott continues to be awesome . Thanks for doing it; much appreciated.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I've updated my map for BoV nomination after a recent outing at a local tourney.

Note that the picture below is accurate, except of the glyph placements. I'd imagine that I will have to update the picture soon. Hopefully it won't get in the way of the nomination process; if it does I can change it.

Anyway, thanks for reviewing!

Hail and Brimstone Morazz Requires 1 SotM, 1 TT, 2 VW

Last edited by MegaSilver; April 5th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Having played on Mega's HaBM, I'd like to put in a good word for it.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I believe the build instructions have to be correct (glyphs and all) in order to be submitted for review.

-insert signature here-
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Eggbeater by dok

dok picked a tough terrain combination to make a competitive map with, but I suspect the fact that BftU and MtCB are the easier to acquire master sets had something to do with it (a fun challenge I have no doubt).

The map is fast and furious, and especially nice for melee armies. In fact, with some fortunate rolling a melee army can be in the face of ranged units before they can set-up camp on height.

The LoS blockers do the job, though I can't help but wish there was just a little more. For what it is, the map is great. It maximizes what the sets give you (even if it's not much).

Is it balanced? I think so. Is it competitive? Yep. Is it the one of the best of the best? Well...

Is this one of the best for the terrain used? I would say yes. Is it one of the best of the best in the era of DiscontinuedSacpe with a dwindling supply of terrain to be had? Again, I think so.

At what point do we take these types of questions into consideration with the state of Scape today? I don't know and I'm not sure we should anyway.

My vote is moot now with two NO votes against Eggbeater already. But I really am torn on this one all things considered.

I vote YES to induct Eggbeater in to the BoV.

-----

Moltenclaw's Gulch 2.1 by BiggaBullfrog

I very much enjoyed this map, but I found one glaring issue with it. The LoS blockers were great. The lava tiles perfectly placed. Glyphs are contested whether there's an enemy there or not (located on lava field).

The problem though was with the flanks. They allow the high powered ranged armies to set-up shop just out of the start zone and blast away at the foot sloggers who run up the gut to try and engage. The molten lava and hilly lava fields in front of the flanks makes for a very difficult job to break it apart.

You could go around the other way, but then those same ranged units will be waiting for you on another hill with shadow in some cases.

I like this map a lot for what it was, but it helped ranged a bit too much in the games I played on it.

I vote NO induct Moltenclaw's Gulch into the BoV.

-insert signature here-
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I believe the build instructions have to be correct (glyphs and all) in order to be submitted for review.
Okay, I've made the changes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios