Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 16th, 2020, 08:28 PM

Swogger is surprisingly tart
Swogger's Custom Units

I created these custom cards to potentially offer a few more options for thematic armies and existing synergies.

Many of the chosen models require painting or assembly. Some alternative proxies are listed below if pre-painted minis or different sculpts are preferred.

Cards were created using Xorlof's X-2 Customs Card Creator tool and the Heroscape Customizing Compendium v.2. Additional card background templates are by GreyOwl.

BY GENERAL
Spoiler Alert!

BY NAME
Spoiler Alert!

BY POINT COST
Spoiler Alert!

BY SET AND PACK
Spoiler Alert!

BY PLANET
Spoiler Alert!

PROXY MODELS LIST
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Swogger; February 21st, 2021 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Minor Phrasing and Stat Adjustments to Cards
Old October 16th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Swogger's Custom Units

Just looking at the Jandar figures, your points are too low. Compare Beawid to Sir Dennrik, he's way better but only 10 points more.
The Bondsman are a 4 figure squad, with bonding for only 50 points. The Shield power is way OP, maybe you could reuse the romans shield power but 2 auto Shields would put them around 150 points. Look at the other 50 point squads in the game, you would never use any of them if these guys were around.
The Saxson squad again is underpriced, 4 squad bonding, with another power for 50 points, they are 20 pts cheaper than the knights and have a better move.
The last card uses memory mechanics that are frowned upon. These are just my thoughts off the top of my head, I'm sure others could give you more direction
Old October 16th, 2020, 11:32 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The above points I second. I was thinking the same on point cost. 2 automatic defense is pretty powerful. Thematically the romans could do the shield wall a bit better than norsemen. I love that you are using a bunch of board and war game minis. I plan on doing them in sets by box. That way folks will use them if they bought that specific box. I didnt think of using the rising sun minis units. Probably because they havent made the paint que.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 16th, 2020, 11:56 PM

I agree about the points and power balance. I try not to make regular heroes cost over 120pts since they will never get drafted if they are too expensive, and common squads ideally need to be low cost to get multiple sets. I can nerf the stats by dropping a few attack and defense dice and adding 10-30 pts where needed.

I had noticed turn-based buffing mechanics were kind of anathematized in Heroscape, I just never knew if there was a community consensus or rule against using those types of abilities. I'll try to think of some alternative skillset.
Old October 17th, 2020, 07:29 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swogger View Post
I agree about the points and power balance. I try not to make regular heroes cost over 120pts since they will never get drafted if they are too expensive, and common squads ideally need to be low cost to get multiple sets. I can nerf the stats by dropping a few attack and defense dice and adding 10-30 pts where needed.

I had noticed turn-based buffing mechanics were kind of anathematized in Heroscape, I just never knew if there was a community consensus or rule against using those types of abilities. I'll try to think of some alternative skillset.

Rest assured, regular heroes will get used if they are over 120 points as long as they do something unique or useful for builds they go in. And not all common squads should be cheap, Minions and Sentinels both get drafted in the 2x-3x range, despite costing 110 points each. Don't limit your designs with preconceived notions of power regulation, but you should also think about how playing against the unit should feel.

Have fun designing

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 18th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Swogger's Custom Units (Updated 1-17-2020)

Okay, going through bit by bit, since you've got a lot of stuff:

Beawid: Looks like fun - Death Grip is worded a little strangely - the 'engaging' bit's throwing me off, since that has a specific meaning in Heroscape. Is it just +2 to his attack vs. those figures? I'd probably suggest taking wording off Denrick. The second part of the power's really cool, but a bit odd. Do you really mean that they can't move away from him via special powers... but can with their normal move? I don't quite get what you're trying to say here. His second power seems really cool, but again, a little confusing. The 'bonded' bit technically means nothing in HS lingo, but it's clear enough to me what you mean. Where are the figures placed when kept from dying? Where they were (in which case you can bypass that whole thing by just saying 'inflict one wound on Beawid and that figure is not destroyed')? Adjacent to Beawid (which needs spelling out)? Anywhere on the battlefield (which is crazy powerful)? Don't quite get it. Still, really fun looking unit - I really get that feeling of a Viking/Saxon mythic warrior, here, particularly off Death Grip. He looks strong.
Bondsmen of Gotland: First off, I love seeing more historical customs! However, the second power is really confusing. How long does the defence bonus last? It's clearly not for that turn, since they don't defend on their own turn. Until the next turn of the person who's playing them? Until their next turn as a squad? Needs a touch more thought and clarity here, but it's a cool concept.
Skae Mach: No clarity issues, but she seems really quite overpriced, IMO - she's both slow and fragile. Staff of Ulvania is nice, but Deadeye can do the same thing at a longer range without risk. Tame Beast is really evocative, but a bit 'counterdrafty' to my taste and, even in that counterdraft situation, is going to be unlikely to actually do much given the fairly high rolls required and the fact that it's going to take getting a really quite slow and fragile figure into combat with some real powerhouses. I'd up her power-level significantly or drop about 50 off her cost, but conceptually, she seems fun.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 18th, 2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Beawid: Looks like fun - Death Grip is worded a little strangely - the 'engaging' bit's throwing me off, since that has a specific meaning in Heroscape.
I will change “engage” to “attack.” Simple enough fix.

Quote:
Is it just +2 to his attack vs. those figures?
The +2 attack bonus only activates against the big figures, not regular sized ones, same as with Sir Denrick.

Quote:
Where are the figures placed when kept from dying? Where they were (in which case you can bypass that whole thing by just saying 'inflict one wound on Beawid and that figure is not destroyed')? Adjacent to Beawid (which needs spelling out)? Anywhere on the battlefield (which is crazy powerful)?
I had intended for the destroyed squad figure to just be placed back on the space they were on, but I agree it should have been clarified better on the card. Basically the Warrior’s Sacrifice ability works similarly to Parmenio’s Defy Death ability but instead of rolling the d20 to possibly save a Sacred Band warrior, the bonded champion can opt to take a wound to prevent the figure from being destroyed. The bonded squad doesn’t need to be adjacent to Beawid, just in line of sight. I guess there should also probably be a 4-6 space range condition so Beawid doesn’t hide in the corner of a map next to Kelda.

Quote:
Bondsmen of Gotland: First off, I love seeing more historical customs! However, the second power is really confusing. How long does the defence bonus last? It's clearly not for that turn, since they don't defend on their own turn.
The designs are supposed to be based on Beowulf and the Geats. I’m glad people at least seem to like the figures and theme even if my phrasing on cards needs some work.

The defense bonus is supposed to activate if the bondsmen were moved before the opponent has an opportunity to attack them for the first time. Unlike the Romans who can stay in one spot to guard a position, the Bondsmen have to be moved at least one space every three turns/round or their defense bonus goes away. This mechanic forces them to push forward until they are all destroyed or no longer threatened by nearby enemies. So whenever they are attacked, if they are still holding a line or block formation and moving when able, they likely get the extra defense dice. I was trying to differentiate them from the Roman Legionnaires and make it so the squad has to be pushed aggressively into battle; they can’t just bunker down in the safe starting zone, which true Vikings wouldn’t do. The ability is also ideal for surviving masses of ranged units that normally cut down melee squads before they can get close to inflict damage.

Quote:
Skae Mach: No clarity issues, but she seems really quite overpriced, IMO - she's both slow and fragile.
Skae Mach is definitely a very niche figure that probably wouldn’t see much use in tournaments because her range is so limiting and her low-life low-defense stats make her very vulnerable if going on the offensive. She is a glass cannon like Morsbane or Dead Eye Dan with an overpowered ability offset by a low likelihood of successfully pulling off a 20 roll.

I can try to knock down her points a bit, but a figure that has even the smallest likelihood of taking out a 180pt dragon probably shouldn’t be 40-50pts or it would completely break game balance. If Skae Mach is summoned by Saylind or boosted by a movement glyph, she can be a dangerous threat that makes her average point cost somewhat justifiable. She isn't an A+ generalist Hero by any means, but in certain casual themed games her unusual play-style might make a match more interesting.
Old January 18th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

You probably need some sort of defined end-point for the Shield-Wall boost, since it's dependent on an action taken on their turn but not actually active on their turn, if that makes sense? Just saying 'add one to that Bondsman's defence until the next time you reveal a numbered Order Marker' would probably work.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:24 PM

Yeah that makes sense. I will have to rethink how to make it work. It is tricky designing certain mechanics for Heroscape since temporary buffs and lingering status effects are not really common like in most other similar types of games. You can use marker tokens to keep track of special traits and abilities, but those are generally used only as a last resort.
Old January 18th, 2021, 09:01 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow you have quite a lot of customs here. I appreciate the format in which they are arranged. It'll take me a bit to get through them all. Are you looking for just general feedback or wordsmithing or workshopping or anything? I like a lot of the themes I'm seeing, Ransack is my favorite power just scrolling through.
Old January 18th, 2021, 10:24 PM

I will take any suggestions for revisions if people want to see certain cards improved for gameplay purposes, but I certainly don't expect extensive breakdowns on everything. I made the cards mostly as a personal creative challenge. I don't think any of these figures will ever make it to the SoV list due to the extensive painting requirements and rarity of certain sculpts, but anyone is welcome to borrow or adapt ideas for their own customs.
Old January 18th, 2021, 11:04 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fair enough!

Got some great ideas here, I like a lot of your Ullar designs for treefolk style units. All the pirates here are pretty cool and the Van Nessing relation you have it great Definitely think that's a cool idea to make another hero in the same vein as him.

May get around to using one of these in a scenario based game, especially the Matriarch spider design. Pretty beastly.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards