Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old October 11th, 2021, 04:04 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Woo-hoo! So this means both Ticalla Sunrise and Fulcrum make it in?!
Old October 11th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Yes- congrats to both maps!!!
Old October 11th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
Don't maps require 5 votes? The last few that have passed did, but I think Fulcrum only has 4 after that latest review.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 11th, 2021, 11:29 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
Don't maps require 5 votes? The last few that have passed did, but I think Fulcrum only has 4 after that latest review.
They require 75% yes, which means a maximum of 1 downvote. The others made it in because they had 5 upvotes and no downvotes, and even if the last vote has been no they would have been in.

But for Fulcrum, Dignan doesn't vote as the map creator, so every eligible judge has now voted. It's in.
Old October 12th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Cool beans!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 17th, 2021, 02:39 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Built Platypus ahead of our NHSD event Saturday. While the map as a whole is a “looker” (as Typhon said in his review), it is a disaster aesthetically with the pieces under the ice. Mostly it’s the sand under the ice is just plain ugly but each side also just seems random. The level 1 sand side has ice covering two sands while the rock side has ice covering one snow and one rock tile. The level 2 tiles that are covered by ice are then sand on the sand side and rock on the rock side but then the ones closer to the glyphs are one grass and one snow.

I figured the map was forced to look like this based on terrain restrictions so imagine my shock when there were two single-hex swamp tiles at the bottom of the tub when I finished building it. With those tiles and some other maneuvering I was able to even EVERYTHING out. Rock tiles covered by ice on both sides the whole way up the middle and swamp covered by ice closer to the glyphs (keeping with the ice that already covers some level 1 swamp 7-hexers.

Here’s the finished look:

I’ll update with a .pdf later tonight. Updated.

Last edited by Sheep; October 18th, 2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old November 10th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Some reviews are just easier than others; these are two favorites:

Stygian Rift is one of my most favorite tournament maps. I love the use of height, cover, lava, and shadow. While there can be some issues with protected glyphs and the sense of a split map this can create, Stygian Rift avoids this with its brilliant use of height and its overall small size. Units can quickly move into combat and always have ways to attack and overwhelm the glyph positions. Shadow in the low rift points allow for some unit protection while repositioning. I find SR to foster active, dynamic play. Units rarely spend a lot of time in one place and positions shift often. I love what this map does. YES to Stygian Rift.

Invasion is an old favorite. It is a bit long, but the road use (and jungle cover) make it not seem prohibitively long in terms of gameplay. Units can quickly move into place. The use of castle battlements makes for some interesting choices, though usually these are not heavily used, as they are off the main paths and are fairly low points. The glyphs are exposed and it is usually difficult to control more than one. This is a smart and fun tournament map. Lots of great memories on this one as well. YES to Invasion.
Old November 12th, 2021, 11:11 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Fulcrum - I wrote a whole strategy guide about this map because I love nerding out about it so much. The 3-hexers on the sides can be turtling spots for some armies, but I’ve seen plenty of armies take the W by assaulting that position. This map makes use of water dunking your own figures better than basically any map I’ve seen. A very easy YES to induct.
@dok , could you direct/link to your strategy guide for Fulcrum?

I just built it for our next game night — I've never played on it before — so would love to read your piece on it.
Old November 12th, 2021, 11:23 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Fulcrum - I wrote a whole strategy guide about this map because I love nerding out about it so much. The 3-hexers on the sides can be turtling spots for some armies, but I’ve seen plenty of armies take the W by assaulting that position. This map makes use of water dunking your own figures better than basically any map I’ve seen. A very easy YES to induct.
@dok , could you direct/link to your strategy guide for Fulcrum?

I just built it for our next game night — I've never played on it before — so would love to read your piece on it.
Here you go:
https://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=2500
Old November 13th, 2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Built Platypus ahead of our NHSD event Saturday. While the map as a whole is a “looker” (as Typhon said in his review), it is a disaster aesthetically with the pieces under the ice. Mostly it’s the sand under the ice is just plain ugly but each side also just seems random. The level 1 sand side has ice covering two sands while the rock side has ice covering one snow and one rock tile. The level 2 tiles that are covered by ice are then sand on the sand side and rock on the rock side but then the ones closer to the glyphs are one grass and one snow.

I figured the map was forced to look like this based on terrain restrictions so imagine my shock when there were two single-hex swamp tiles at the bottom of the tub when I finished building it. With those tiles and some other maneuvering I was able to even EVERYTHING out. Rock tiles covered by ice on both sides the whole way up the middle and swamp covered by ice closer to the glyphs (keeping with the ice that already covers some level 1 swamp 7-hexers.

Here’s the finished look:

I’ll update with a .pdf later tonight. Updated.
Oh NICE!
@heroscaper2010 , thanks for the work — and even updating the map PDF!
Old November 18th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Some reviews are just easier than others; these are two favorites:
Awesome. Thanks for the reviews, @1Mmirg . Very glad (and only slightly selfishly, hee) to see another two maps making their way through.
Old November 20th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Stygian Rift
Overall, this map is solid. However, there is a pull to the center and right out of the start zone, and this is typically where armies mass up on the map. The molten lava on level two does help mitigate the pull to the level two height on the center right of the start zone by creating narrower paths for development. The fact that the molten lava is same-level (or unbounded molten lava) is an issue for a top-tier map, however it is fairly limited to certain parts of the map. Lastly, there are some pretty apparent Raelin perches.

Despite those issues, this map still shines. The placement of shadow tiles relative to lava is fantastic – the decision making created by the conflict between height on lava and boosted defense on shadow keeps the map from feeling stale. The whole map typically ends up being used and LOS blockers are placed well throughout it.

Dance of the Dryads
I will freely admit that that way this map is built both impresses me and causes me pain. It is amazing what Typhon2222 has done with so limited terrain, but those 24-hex dungeon tiles are living life on the edge. Considering how much I paid for my dungeon terrain, there is no way I am EVER building this map how the build instructions say to – I will always add additional supports under those 24-hex pieces. Maybe I baby my terrain too much, but I care a lot about how well maps are supported, and I think top-tier maps should be built in a way that there isn’t any undue stress on any pieces.

I say all that to add weight to the fact that I am going to upvote this map anyway. Typhon has done an excellent job with this one. Sure, it has other quirks – the pull to the left, the road speed bumps that limit the usefulness of the road to the right of the start zone, and the opportunities to make headaches for double based figures through double-based denial (also, as an aesthetic sidenote, I cringe every time I see gaps in a map, but that’s a small nitpick). The excellent placement of LOS blockers help limit the effectiveness of podding range on the left by denying shots on approaching units. Double spacers still have options, and one of the spots for double based denial is on a lava field space – making it risky to keep units there. Still, I wish that outermost lava two hex on level 3 had been turned so the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space – that would have solved most of the double base denial issues on the map.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios