Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old November 26th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: An Impactful Customs Creator

Who is Number One????!!!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 26th, 2018, 04:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I can’t speak for everyone obviously, but I understand the pain of designing a unit, spending time palytesting it, puting it up, and realizing you’re the only one who’ll ever actually use it.

I think a big element of the “official-ness” of the SoV, C3V, C3G, and HoSS cards, for me, is the ability to easily print them out in the right size in PDF format. That’s something that has always meant more to me than the “brand name” a custom is made under. I’m more likely to print and use anybody’s customs if I can get them to be the same size as my official cards. (I think TREX does PDFs too?) Is that a sentiment shared by others?

LO, I love the Prisoner! It is pretty underrated (at least here in the States) for how good of a show it is.
I just recently started making pdfs for my cards. I plan on doing them all that way once Im happy with testing the rest. I really do like the idea because its worth putting the time into sizing them correctly to print if you put the time into making them.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 26th, 2018, 09:33 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

As far as the prevalence of creators focusing only on creating for SoV accceptance:

The following represents my personal views and are not meant to be taken as being dogmatic or absolute.

Spoiler Alert!
Old November 28th, 2018, 10:36 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

My sincerest apologies to @Son of Arathorn , @IshMEL , and @johnny139

I went through every page of the HS Codex blog and only then realized there were more articles than just @Scytale 's

Every article deserves to be read by those who are both new to customs creation and those who are veterans of the art. I edited the OP with links to each article but will post them here as well:

Tandem Designs: Part 1
Tandem Designs: Part 2
Designing Top to Bottom
Where Rules Don't Bend
YACE
YACE Special Powers
Faction Creation
Make It Fun
Criticism: Giving and Taking
The Good, the Bad, and the SoV Worthy
The Question of Balance
Dripping with (Not Too Much) Theme
Simply Creative
The Epitome of Play

Kudos to all of you for insightful and helpful articles!
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:04 AM

I posted the next part in the OP:
Quality Over Quantity

Enjoy and let us know what your thoughts are.
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Another worthy addition, LC.

We’ve already discussed this upthread a bit, but it probably bears repeating that if someone (for instance) wants to post a bunch of customs one after the other, that’s ok. It’s just that, you’re saying, others are less likely to notice or care about customs posted that way, based on your experience in the community. And such customs are not likely to be played by others.

Do I understand that correctly?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Another worthy addition, LC.

We’ve already discussed this upthread a bit, but it probably bears repeating that if someone (for instance) wants to post a bunch of customs one after the other, that’s ok. It’s just that, you’re saying, others are less likely to notice or care about customs posted that way, based on your experience in the community. And such customs are not likely to be played by others.

Do I understand that correctly?
Yes, absolutely.

If a creator wants to post custom after custom- go for it! I simply don't want them to get discouraged when only a few, if any get commented on since it would be quite a task to analyze and offer insightful feedback on multiple units at a time. And people may assume, correctly or not, that such an abundance of units must come with a decided lack of play testing so they are less likely to try the units out for themselves.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but for newer customs creators I want to steer them, not to the exceptions, but towards what is most likely to help them become established in the community.
Old November 28th, 2018, 04:54 PM

With DS's question for clarification I edited the post in the OP.
For those of you who have already read the original post, here are the added parts so you don't have to read the whole thing again...

Quote:
As you read the following remember this post is not about how to create quality units. It is about your posting habits (not your work habits) and how your posting habits can have a negative impact on the quality of your creations and the perception of you as a designer which in turn will effect your reputation in the community.

Your posting habits should favor a quality of units over a quantity of units. This is not to say a unit must be fully developed before you post it. A custom unit can be a quality unit before it is finished being developed. A house with a solid foundation, walls, and roof can be a quality house even if some inside work needs done to make it just right. Customs are no different. A unit with good, solid “bones” can be a quality unit and in need of just a few tweaks to make it just right. That is what the community is here for. But, the only way to make sure you are posting a unit that at least has good bones is to take your time with the development of it. It is kind of unfair to the community to post a unit that has had little time devoted to it whose foundation needs serious work before the final details can even be thought about, and then expect the community to put their time and attention into making your custom playable.

As an aside: Although this post is about posting habits and not work habits I will say something about that just as clarification. I know for me I usually turned out better work when working on multiple units at a time. If I got familiarity fatigue with a unit, there was another one on deck for me to turn my attentions to until I could come back with a fresh perspective. Sometimes working on multiple units at a time can result in quality as long as you are taking your time with each one.

This is all said with the understanding that there are times when it is totally appropriate, and even necessary, to post multiple units at a time. Such as when you are working on units that synergize with one another. It is much easier to analyze a unit when you see just what its synergistic abilities accomplish.

Of course, post as you see fit; there is no rule or law you must abide by. This is all said with the intention of helping a customs creator foster a reputation of caring about what he/she posts and devoting time to their own creations.
Hopefully that will help elucidate my intentions some
Old November 29th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Lunch time! Time to post! Woo hoo!

This is the latest post. I added it to the OP but figured I would post it here as well. It is definitely a long one so bear with me!

Respond to Feedback
Spoiler Alert!
Old November 29th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Please tell me I'm not the only person who went to see what was on Page 12....

EDIT: A great addition @Lamaclown . I enjoy reading your articles.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old November 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only person who went to see what was on Page 12....
LOL! That is hilarious!

- Lamaclown, off to see what is on page 12
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:25 PM

The latest...
Be a Part of a Community Project
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Lamaclown; December 4th, 2018 at 12:42 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards