Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Is wave 5 more powerful than usual waves?
No 85 68.00%
Yes 40 32.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Thor has disabled reputation
I don't see wave 5 being more powerful then other waves at all really. Like any wave it has it's share of more useful figures (Deathreavers), and less useful ones (Spartacus at the moment). Squad bonding is nice, but it isn't true bonding where you can attack as well so it's largely kept in check. Basing if a wave is too powerful or not on a few unlucky games definetly isn't a good way to go about judging though.

It sounds like you just had some really crummy rolls which happens from time to time. Even the best of figures can look crappy with bad rolls, or the worst of figures can look outstanding with some good rolls. How many times has a measly 13 point Grut Archer killed DW9k? It doesn't mean the Grut Archers are over powered, it was simply the luck of the roll.
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Re: Is wave 5 more powerful than other waves?

Wave 5 is one of the worst in my opinion. Blastrons are only good with Glad, Death stalkers are bad, Ninjas and Kozuke are okay, rats are good but the main thing is it has 2 okay heroes and a bad one(spartacus).

Wave 2 was one of the best in my opinion.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict View Post
i had a single samurai take out a full squad of tagawas, a full health syvarris, and a Omnicron Sniper (mainly because PoF abandoned attacking him after he killed 2 Tagawas). The ninjas took out a full squad of Deathstalkers and a full squad of KMA.
Yesterday I used Johhny to take out an entire squad of the Kozuke Samurai and Hatamoto Taro (as well as my WoA, which was the target of the attack) in one shotgun blast. Earlier in that same game, he killed three Rats, wounded Awa and nearly killed yet another of my WoA (if it weren't for Alcolhara. Going by that, I would say that wave 3 powned wave 5.

Each wave is significant in its own way. Wave 5 happens to have two of the best assassin squads in the game, NotNW and the KS. They can be devastating, but after one or two have been killed, they lose their edge. The Rats are by far my favorite glyph grabbers, and for the cost, almost nothing beats the WoA in melee combat. The Blastatrons are sick when combined with their counterparts, and the stalkers can be great with a little luck. All in all, this is one of my favorite waves, and probably would be if the Gladiators weren't so impudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

You guys realize you're responding to a year-and-a-half old thread, right?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
That's what makes this thread more interesting to me. I love stuff like this. The opinions vary a lot. It seems like at least one person asks about Power Creep with the release of each new wave. What did they say when Waves 3 and 4 came out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
That's what makes this thread more interesting to me. I love stuff like this. The opinions vary a lot. It seems like at least one person asks about Power Creep with the release of each new wave. What did they say when Waves 3 and 4 came out?
I'm with Jexik on this one. Some of these old threads are gold.

I will say, though, that I don't remember anyone recently claiming that 6 or 7 was better... Does that mean the gods of game balance are doing their job, that power creep is being avoided, or that later waves are more like "filler"--adding in stuff needed but not advancing the game the way older threads did?

The Vampires are pretty hot, but nothing about 7 screams power creep, not to me...
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
The Vampires are pretty hot, but nothing about 7 screams power creep, not to me...
Not now, but some people were really worried about Cyprien and his 150 point cost at first, as well as Isamu and his 10 points of doom. They're good, but not unbeatable.

I'll admit that after my first 6 games, I thought Deathwalker 9000 was very good, and that Major Q9 was probably slightly worse for his points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I remember that. But it was fairly short-lived and didn't effect the wave as a whole being thought of as problematic. (I think it was a great filler wave with a few standouts--that really stood out!)

I loved DW9k as well. And initially overlooked Q9...

If we are asking about waves that are problematic, I wonder how SotM fits into this? I think they got the points right broadly (TKN is pricey, but his power can be insane in the right (or wrong) situation), but the Stingers seem underpriced to me, almost to a fault. Just glad they made them a 3 unit squad with a risky power... No doubt but they resurrected the Marro quite effectively!

Anyhow, I am overall quite happy that the game has few questionable units and has stayed pretty balanced over a dozen+ releases... That is remarkable in and of itself.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Would you rather I started five new threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
B.U.D.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
It seems like at least one person asks about Power Creep with the release of each new wave.
You get sick of stuff like that pretty quick when someone does it for every Magic release (4 times a year).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Like my example of Johnny, no matter how new and impressive the next release is, there is always someone from a previous wave to put them in their place. The only thing that might concern me as far as something being too powerful is the glad/blast combo, but then that's what Braxas is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
B.U.D.

Last edited by guido; April 17th, 2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Braxas was about to have a total meltdown.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Braxas. Not Braxus or Braxis or anything else. Braxas. I'm surprised she hasn't melted anyone on this site yet with how often you guys misspell her name.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units