Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old December 21st, 2021, 07:45 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ulysses' Maps (New Map 10/2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
Love the aesthetics, but I (a tadpole of a cartographer) have 2 initial concerns.
  • The hills feel sort of yours & mine
  • Giving bush bonus to height and glyphs might pose problems
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your input ATG! Those are both valid points and I'll walk you through why it's designed the way it is. As far as your first concern goes; this was kind of the thought experiment to begin with. Yes, yours and mine hills are a good way to make a stale map, but my thinking was 'what if a map consisted solely of small hills?' The theory was, if there are enough hills that are small enough, well distributed, and quickly accessible by melee, it might actually be a lot of fun. The map comprises of eight 7-hex hills, with the hills outside the SZ only giving you lvl 2, the perimeter hills give you lvl 2 and 2 hexes of lvl 3, and, to draw the action to the center, the middle hills offer the best position with some lvl 2 and 3 hexes of lvl3.

The map does offer 8 hexes of lvl 2 with jungle protection, but the jungle predominantly helps lvl 0 and 1 spots and of course doesn't boost any of the highest places on the board. The jungle bush near the sand hill was specifically to draw SZ development to the left more as I felt there was a bit of a rightward pull. It gives two 5 move figs lvl 2 jungle protection on turn 1 which felt like a big enough draw to balance the pull.

I justify the glyph jungle bush with the fact that the lvl 0 in this map is a pretty poor place to be. Unless you're a small figure hiding, or have a water power, you're probably just there to grab the glyph, which doesn't have any LOS protection and has 4 higher adjacent hexes that can smack down on you. The +1 D you might get will still be worse than the +1 A that everyone else will likely be getting on you.

In practice podding has not been an issue on the map. Yes, you can try and claim a hill, but rarely can you hold it. There has been a fair amount of hopping from hill to hill, almost feeling like multiple miniature fronts falling and rebuilding which has lead to some truly epic moments.

Of course most of this is just theory scape as I can only run so many games on it myself, but figured I'd let you know how I tried to avoid some cartographical pitfalls while working within my initial concept.

Last edited by Ulysses; December 22nd, 2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 10:10 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Fair enough. Keep 'em coming, @Ulysses !
Old December 23rd, 2021, 02:21 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm done with this one. It has been so much fun to play, but it might undergo a tweak or two before it goes to the main list.

Stagnation
Love this...solid build!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old December 30th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Made a few tweaks and am at a point where it's time to go up on the main page. Also included rules for Control Points format which this map lends itself well to. Hope y'all enjoy!
Online map also available

Stagnation
Requires: 1 SotM, 2 RttFF, and 1 TJ

Last edited by Ulysses; January 23rd, 2024 at 02:31 AM.
Old December 30th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Ulysses' Maps (New Map 12/2021)

I like it a lot. Well done!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 12th, 2022, 03:16 AM

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME

Shoulders of Giants
Requires: a lot

Last edited by Ulysses; January 12th, 2022 at 03:38 AM.
Old January 27th, 2022, 10:30 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

@Ulysses , previously when I visited your thread, I could see your amazing photographs of your maps in the OP. But now, when I open the 'spoiler', I'm presented with merely a list of your maps's links — no pics.
Old January 28th, 2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
@Ulysses , previously when I visited your thread, I could see your amazing photographs of your maps in the OP. But now, when I open the 'spoiler', I'm presented with merely a list of your maps's links — no pics.
I had a few fellow scapers try and they are seeing the images. They do sometimes load slowly depending on your connection since they are larger files than VS screen shots. Maybe give it another go and wait on the page a while? Hope it works and thanks for dropping in!
Old January 28th, 2022, 03:02 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
I had a few fellow scapers try and they are seeing the images. They do sometimes load slowly depending on your connection since they are larger files than VS screen shots. Maybe give it another go and wait on the page a while? Hope it works and thanks for dropping in!
Ah, that's it!
Old April 9th, 2022, 10:32 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Ulysses' Maps (New Map 8/2021)

Quote:
Percolator
Requires: 1 RotV and 1 TJ
Was looking over this and noticed that the level 4 hexes hexes aren’t even on each side. The big ruin side uses the rock single hex on level 3 to the side of the level 4 single hex instead of creating the 3-hex on level 4.

My only suggestion then would be to turn the 3-hex towards the grass a space so that two of its three spaces are adjacent to the grass. That would allow double spacer to engage the glyphs on high ground and make it so that half of the level 4 spaces are reachable from the SZ in 2 turns (5-move).
Old May 19th, 2022, 06:46 PM

My better entry (in my opinion) from the second Scapecon map contest. Enjoy!

Broken Top Pass
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 TT, and 1 FotA (ladders and battlements only)

Last edited by Ulysses; January 23rd, 2024 at 02:31 AM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 11:11 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Ulysses' Maps (New Map 5/2022)

This one seems solid but damn, Tundra maps just seem to annoy double spacers with all of those 1/2-hexes that have no great uses other than adding spotty height.

Last edited by Sheep; May 19th, 2022 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Neither WoS nor my Tundra maps have great answers to this problem. Just a general observation recently.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios