Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 26th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Shurrig's Maps: Hollow Ramparts (New Map)

Another new map! Here's Hollow Ramparts!

Hollow Ramparts
Old August 29th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I like how you squeezed the treasure glyph in the small opening between the walls on this map. Looks cool.
Old August 29th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I like how you squeezed the treasure glyph in the small opening between the walls on this map. Looks cool.
Thanks! I wanted to see if I could make a "competitive" map using a single BftU set, but that's incredibly difficult. I'm still happy with how it turned out though!
Old August 29th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Lightbulb Re: Shurrig's Maps: Hollow Ramparts (New Map)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I wanted to see if I could make a "competitive" map using a single BftU set, but that's incredibly difficult. I'm still happy with how it turned out though!
Yeah. I honestly don't think you can make a good competitive map with only 1 BftU for the standard formats - 400+ pt. and 16-24 figs. Maybe in smaller formats or Heat of Battle or something, but I don't think it works with the standard. The best I've seen so far is Dignan's Shards. Typhon's Anvil is pretty good and I just made one I'm pretty happy with. But every one I've seen suffers from dragons, strong melee like Heavies simply rolling through, and/or rats clogging the whole thing.

Basically if you make it so that Zelrig hits big first turn, he's gonna dominate, and if you push the start zones back, then Nilfheim (maybe Braxas too) is going to position himself so that you can't get out of your start zone. I have mine built so that Zelrig can hit but not the full 7, but he still hits 4-5. I was hoping to get it down to 1-3 but couldn't configure it and maintain the other things I wanted in the map. And if you somehow solve this you still have the other two problems I mentioned to tackle.

You just don't get enough terrain to make a map that can run with the rest. If they had given you 2 spare 24 hexes for start zones then you'd probably be fine, but it always feels like you're spending half the map to make your start zones.

Last edited by Cleon; August 30th, 2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
Yeah. I honestly don't think you can make a good competitive map with only 1 BftU for the standard formats - 400+ pt. and 16-24 figs. Maybe in smaller formats or Heat of Battle or something, but I don't think it works with the standard. The best I've seen so far is Dignan's Shards. Typhon's Anvil is pretty good and I just made one I'm pretty happy with. But every one I've seen suffers from dragons, strong melee like Heavies simply rolling through, and/or rats clogging the whole thing.

Basically if you make it so that Zelrig hits big first turn, he's gonna dominate, and if you push the start zones back, then Nilfheim (maybe Braxas too) is going to position himself so that you can't get out of your start zone. I have mine built so that Zelrig can hit but not the full 7, but he still hits 4-5. I was hoping to get it down to 1-3 but couldn't configure it and maintain the other things I wanted in the map. And if you somehow solve this you still have the other two problems I mentioned to tackle.

You just don't get enough terrain to make a map that can run with the rest. If they had given you 2 spare 24 hexes for start zones then you'd probably be fine, but it always feels like you're spending half the map to make your start zones.
It’s really a shame that BftU sets are so expensive, a single set just doesn’t feel like enough to work with. Even using RttFF and FotA with it feels like a challenge
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:12 PM

I'm working on a map currently and I keep getting stuck with it. As of right now I enjoy the design, but I'm scratching my head at what it is about it that I don't like. Something about it feels off, any suggestions would be kindly appreciated

Old September 16th, 2019, 04:28 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

You asked for feedback a while ago, so hopefully you're still looking for it.

I feel like there's an over abundance of water on one side of the map. I think that was part of the theme, but it's creating 1 hex walkways which can be easily clogged up. I'd try to make the pathing easier by swapping out 2 hexes of water from each side, so that it's easier to move into the center of the map. As it is now, there's a spot on the other side of the 2hex walls adjacent to the startzone, that I don't think I'd ever move a unit into, because the water and the battlements create a roadblock. Let me draw on the map to try and illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Each color is the path a figure with 6 move could take on it's first turn. The Yellow area is an area that serves no purpose unless you have Flying, or can ignore water with Slither or something. The water and battlements block the movement enough that the area doesn't have much use. It's also possible to block the left side, that RED and GREEN figures would move through, with just 3 figures, making that part of the map very susceptible to clogs.
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

^This is a really good analysis...I think Leaf's got a point here.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
You asked for feedback a while ago, so hopefully you're still looking for it.

I feel like there's an over abundance of water on one side of the map. I think that was part of the theme, but it's creating 1 hex walkways which can be easily clogged up. I'd try to make the pathing easier by swapping out 2 hexes of water from each side, so that it's easier to move into the center of the map. As it is now, there's a spot on the other side of the 2hex walls adjacent to the startzone, that I don't think I'd ever move a unit into, because the water and the battlements create a roadblock. Let me draw on the map to try and illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Each color is the path a figure with 6 move could take on it's first turn. The Yellow area is an area that serves no purpose unless you have Flying, or can ignore water with Slither or something. The water and battlements block the movement enough that the area doesn't have much use. It's also possible to block the left side, that RED and GREEN figures would move through, with just 3 figures, making that part of the map very susceptible to clogs.
Hey, apologies for taking so long to respond, I haven't been able to get to my laptop for the past few days and I wanted to make sure I was able to give a thorough response. Anyway, let's get into it!

Your feedback really helped me out quite a ton, so thank you for taking the time to break my map down and analyze it. I think with my newer version I've covered most of the issues you brought up. Here is what it looks like now:

Essentially all I've done is rework the middle so there is more neutral space, and I took out a few water hexes and replaced the ones in the middle with LOS blockers and the ones close to the start zone with 1-hex grass tiles so that dead space is now useful (also put some extra ladders down near the start zones). I believe these minor tweaks have made the map much more open, at least for the center and right side of the map. The left side of the map is still a bit chokey, but I think with the parts restrictions it works fine. I may go back and see what I can do with it later but for now I like it.

I think with these minor reworks the pathing has opened up drastically for 6-move figures, take a look:

Now that yellow area you had pointed out is fully functional, and adding that ladder allows for a much more versatile way of deploying units and is just much more open. I'm pretty happy where this map is right now functionally and aesthetically, but I'm still very open for critiques. Once again thanks for giving your feedback and let me know if you see anymore issues!
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

That looks much better. Pathing is easier, and it won't be as hard to move around the clogs that could appear.

The problem I'm seeing now, is that the 7 hex that has the ladders on it, is really powerful. It's a level 3 while most of the map is a level 2, with some level 3 high spots in the middle. I only see a single hex right on the middle that goes up to level 4, which means that turtling on that 7 hex right outside your startzone will be very easy, and viable for ranged pods. Adding a few more level 4 hexes to those middle level 3 areas will help this quite a bit.
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
That looks much better. Pathing is easier, and it won't be as hard to move around the clogs that could appear.

The problem I'm seeing now, is that the 7 hex that has the ladders on it, is really powerful. It's a level 3 while most of the map is a level 2, with some level 3 high spots in the middle. I only see a single hex right on the middle that goes up to level 4, which means that turtling on that 7 hex right outside your startzone will be very easy, and viable for ranged pods. Adding a few more level 4 hexes to those middle level 3 areas will help this quite a bit.
Okay, so I've done more tweaking again, this time more so with the middle area. Unfortunately it seems like with the terrain restrictions I am unable to add much more height, but I believe that the LOS blockers do a pretty good job of keeping those level 3 7-hex tiles in check. Also, I've started to mess around with glyphs to counteract that height. Right now, I have kelda and wannok, but I've considered switching them out (maybe gerda and dagmar? I'll have to playtest it). Here's what it's looking like right now

You'll see I've also reworked the left side a bit to make it less chokey and moved LOS blockers to make the middle more open. I was thinking this would help make melee armies a bit more viable, but I think I need to playtest it a bit more.
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:31 PM

What are the restrictions on this? Looks like you're using about half of a RotV set, a road set, and a castle set.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios