Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 10th, 2022, 03:42 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

CapSocrates,

Thanks for summarizing it all again here for us. There is more and more to digest now, and much more to come. Its become such an adventure to log into the site once again for news that's not of our own making! Its a wonderous new era for our game.
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:01 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks Chas!
--
I meant to repost this but from the CVN Q&A thread: straight from the horse's mouth, there will be squads still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Craig! Congratulations on reviving the best game ever!!!!

Unpainted minis are one thing, but I REALLY want to know:
is this still going to be the battle of all time???

That concerns me more! The pictures from GenCon don't excite me the way that Rise of the Valkyrie box did way back when. Are there going to be iconic not-heroes the way Syvarris was not-Legolas and the Krav Maga were not-Matrix? Are there going to be historical units? That was the real magic of HeroScape for me, and I find it incredibly impressive how C3V has managed to keep the three pillars of HeroScapeGenres (Fantasy, Scifi and History) going and even expand on it to include more (like horror), even though they only work with a limited selection of painted miniatures from other games.

The dragon looks amazing! I don't know if some of the other miniatures would make the cut at SoV or C3V - they have been leery of humanoid medium fantasy heroes.

And will there still be squads?
Yes, it will be the battle for all time, and there will be squads!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

And there will be historical figures as well (is the subtext there).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 10th, 2022, 09:21 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Here is some older stuff from the discord server:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Accessibility is one of our core tenants. If we don’t all work together to bring the next generation in, then all will be lost and we’ll see it shoved back into the Hasbro vault again. NOTHING will please me more then seeing posts of kids engaging with the old guard and learning this game.
Quote:
Bucket list would be some old obscure, ignored guy sitting in some dark corner of GenCon decades from now, and some 40 something comes up to me and shakes my hand and says Heroscape’s rebirth in the 2020’s was the catalyst moment that changed them forever into a lifelong gamer, and now they are teaching their kids to game.
Quote:
The Heroscape War Council signed up for this epic quest without hesitation, and their responsive goes beyond just duty to make a great game. There is some serious personal passion going into the work and I believe there is a sense of personal responsibility by all of them to do right by this community and ensure everyone who has kept this flame burning is rewarded with a gameplay they can be rally behind and feel has been designed with everyone’s voices heard and considered in the work. Be proud of your community, your people, your family.
The war council is, I believe, a reference to CVN, @dok , @Dad_Scaper , @kevindola , @Xorlof , @skyknight , etc.
Quote:
No the Kyrie are not extinct. Leave him alone

--
--
--

--
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:27 AM

And some stuff from this morning about the D&D "epoch" being canon:

Quote:
I think it’s obvious to say that yes it was canon at the time, but that the story took several turns away from being uniquely Heroscape and became instead a derivative of DnD lore instead of being its own thing anymore. I think the Wizards team made every effort to create a linear continuation of the story, but had to weave it into the DnD universe and compromise anything that would conflict with their intellectual property. This creates a bit of a “mud pie” for Heroscape as its own brand, and may require us to unravel certain elements from that era to untangle those two stories and make Heroscape unique again, while at the same time providing new fans some degree of comprehensible lore without needing to do hours of research in old databases and forums to understand the story.
Quote:
I can say there is no interest to “delist” any viable units from previous releases of the game, but we may simply avoid incorporating those units into the narrative going forward to avoid those entanglements and clean up the story a bit for everyone.
Quote:
I think Valkrill and Vydar’s narratives may be the hardest part to work through. Craig and I have some ideas.

--
--
--

--
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:38 AM

Regarding reprints

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbo
Quote:
Quote:
will older units come back?
Are you asking about reissues of the exact models and units, or an expansion of original factions (for example: Grut War Elephants)
The former. Like, will we ever see reproductions of old units, or perhaps remakes of said older units?
I won’t say never, but I will say it’s currently not a priority for the development team to invest in recreating 1:1 miniatures that players may already possess in their collections. I will also point out that factories do not keep tooling in some magically weather controlled warehouse ready to immediately load back onto the machines at a moment’s notice. Most tools become damaged and pitted over an extended amount of time and become useless for reproduction.

--
--
--

--
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:42 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Regarding reprints

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you asking about reissues of the exact models and units, or an expansion of original factions (for example: Grut War Elephants)
The former. Like, will we ever see reproductions of old units, or perhaps remakes of said older units?
I won’t say never, but I will say it’s currently not a priority for the development team to invest in recreating 1:1 miniatures that players may already possess in their collections. I will also point out that factories do not keep tooling in some magically weather controlled warehouse ready to immediately load back onto the machines at a moment’s notice. Most tools become damaged and pitted over an extended amount of time and become useless for reproduction.
This last part fascinates me because I've always noticed how difficult it is to track the passage of time in multiple fandoms. So many fans are quick to ask for the old stuff again but don't realize one of the main reasons is because its a logistic impossibility. I wonder if that means if they can't reproduce the older units they might make newer models ala Sgt. Drake and Raelin's 2.0 versions

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:43 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Regarding reprints

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This last part fascinates me because I've always noticed how difficult it is to track the passage of time in multiple fandoms. So many fans are quick to ask for the old stuff again but don't realize one of the main reasons is because it's a logistic impossibility. I wonder if that means if they can't reproduce the older units, they might make newer models ala Sgt. Drake and Raelin's 2.0 versions

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:57 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would not be opposed to a reissue of previous army cards with alternate sculpts, especially for squads that may synergize with newer models. I know there is a hunger amongst players I've introduced to the game, to own hard to find squads like elves or knights.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:21 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
I would not be opposed to a reissue of previous army cards with alternate sculpts, especially for squads that may synergize with newer models. I know there is a hunger amongst players I've introduced to the game, to own hard to find squads like elves or knights.
This would be seriously cool! I've done a couple of customs where there were so many figures that fit (dragonkin warriors, for example) that I had eight different miniatures for two squads. Maybe less marketable than completely new miniatures, but somewhere close there are people who would pick up another 3 squads of knights with different sculpts to add more variance.

I wonder if the new human(oid)s will be that old "heroic" scale or be more like the scrawny DnD people that showed up? That always bugged me in the DnD era and even moreso with historical C3V units (but nowhere nearly as much as different scales for horses showed up with using other mini-lines!)

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:30 AM

The newer miniatures will be in line, scale wise, with other games rather than previous Heroscape. So closer to D&D size than HS size. Chris Nadeau said this at GenCon--I don't know if he's said it anywhere online.

Overall I like that it will be easier to use Heroscape figures for a D&D hexcrawl or whatever.

--
--
--

--
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I own 2 of every common and would definitely get 2 more of any common that was "reskinned".

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the new stuff and hope the vast majority of released product is new, but it would be nice to have an old squad or two peppered in to each wave, maybe with a new bio and sculpt to reflect their journey through the battlefields of Valhalla over the last 10 years.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion