Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!
Re: Superhero Campaigns

First off, i love David's suggestion, and second, i have played Ultimate Alliance, and i think a good way to represent that, is by earning ability points, and then it takes so many of those to upgrade a powers attack/range/effect by 1. Also, i think perhaps upping a single stat by 1 every 5-10 levels would constitute a stat being raised by 1, whether it be life, movement, range, attack, or defense. Of course the points would rise with the changes.

I also had a thought. What if each hero/villain or whatever they may be started out at a generic level, say before they got their powers, or really understood them? Then they could grow into their powers and you with the character, much like D&D.

As for resolving the point value problem perhaps upping a power by 1 would raise the point value 10 points, and upping a base state would increase it 20 points.

Just my
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl View Post
Anyway, I like the direction you're going because I want to avoid making actual changes to the powers and stats on the cards - that would mess up their point balance.
It sounds like to me you want to still use the Heroscape Army Cards and follow their point value system. I'm not sure that will work, and for the kind of scenario goal you have in mind, is completely unnecessary. If you're playing these kind of scenarios and campaigns, people aren't playing to be competitive, they're playing to have fun for that satisfying feeling you get when your puny Hero turns into a complete villian stomper. Players aren't going to care if they're Hero is balanced accordingly with the point system compared to their allies (or even the opponents! In fact, they're going to want the opponents to be just barely enough to handle.) Someone playing as Spiderman isn't going to have nearly much fun playing these scenarios if the Silver Surfer can just do everything better then they can right off the bat.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyu0707 View Post
Quote:
Anyway, I like the direction you're going because I want to avoid making actual changes to the powers and stats on the cards - that would mess up their point balance.
It sounds like to me you want to still use the Heroscape Army Cards and follow their point value system. I'm not sure that will work, and for the kind of scenario goal you have in mind, is completely unnecessary. If you're playing these kind of scenarios and campaigns, people aren't playing to be competitive, they're playing to have fun for that satisfying feeling you get when your puny Hero turns into a complete villian stomper. Players aren't going to care if they're Hero is balanced accordingly with the point system compared to their allies (or even the opponents! In fact, they're going to want the opponents to be just barely enough to handle.) Someone playing as Spiderman isn't going to have nearly much fun playing these scenarios if the Silver Surfer can just do everything better then they can right off the bat.
Exactly, i think it should be progressive, like Runescape (bad example, but it does progress), Balder's Gate, Diabloe, (etc.). Much in the same way that a figure progresses in D&D but modified to fit the heroscape style, e.g. the way i described above. I think it would make for a decent conversion.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

I've actually considered doing something similar with my son, but I fear he's still a bit too young. Here was my idea:

I am going to allow him to create his own superhero from scratch. This way, there's never going to be a theme break. I want to have him recruited into the JLA or Avengers. As a "1st level character" I'd give him lower stats and probably 1 weak special power of his choice. If he wanted to create a fire based Special Attack, It would probably just have "...figures with the Fire Weakness Special Power roll 1 less defense die...". Overall, just something very simple.

Then, he would be sent on missions from Martian Manhunter (or Capt America). His missions would allow him to team up with other members of the JLA. He would control those characters as well. Depending on how he did in the battle, he would earn "experience". He would be able to spend those experience points to buy stat points or special powers.

The hard part would be costing the stats and powers. Once that was done, though, it would pretty easy to track. Also, you could make it so the higher the stat, the more experience points it took to increase to the next stat. In other words, it might cost 5 XP to increase attack from 3 to 4, but it might cost 15 XP to increase it from 4 to 5. Also, you could create a cost system to increase the potency of a Special Power or Special Attack.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm not against the hero eventually turning into a "villain stomper". But I don't want it to happen too quickly. If you add a point to a stat here or there, they'll become powerful within 2-4 games. If you don't award points every game, then it doesn't feel like you're making progress. I suppose you could award 0.5 points or something, with the stipulation that you can't "use it" until you have a full point, but that seems like it would get messy to track.

With the action currency system, once they save up enough, they could have a whole plethora of powerful abilities, but the key is that they would be consumable (unlike with stats). So there would be strategy regarding whether you want to use a little of your action currency each game, or save up for a big one. To achieve the "villain stomping" potential, the chart of available actions could have extremely powerful actions in them, like instant-kill powers. However, they would also have a very high cost, making one-time use only under most conditions.

Balantai's idea is cool, but it would only work for generic heroes, unfortunately.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
I've actually considered doing something similar with my son, but I fear he's still a bit too young. Here was my idea:

I am going to allow him to create his own superhero from scratch. This way, there's never going to be a theme break. I want to have him recruited into the JLA or Avengers. As a "1st level character" I'd give him lower stats and probably 1 weak special power of his choice. If he wanted to create a fire based Special Attack, It would probably just have "...figures with the Fire Weakness Special Power roll 1 less defense die...". Overall, just something very simple.

Then, he would be sent on missions from Martian Manhunter (or Capt America). His missions would allow him to team up with other members of the JLA. He would control those characters as well. Depending on how he did in the battle, he would earn "experience". He would be able to spend those experience points to buy stat points or special powers.

The hard part would be costing the stats and powers. Once that was done, though, it would pretty easy to track. Also, you could make it so the higher the stat, the more experience points it took to increase to the next stat. In other words, it might cost 5 XP to increase attack from 3 to 4, but it might cost 15 XP to increase it from 4 to 5. Also, you could create a cost system to increase the potency of a Special Power or Special Attack.
Exactly, that's what I was trying to get at, but with a different twist. I think it shouldn't be limited to just two teams, I think we should find all the teams both criminal and hero and follow balantai's suggestion on this. It would be simple, and it would accomplish the RPG aspect that we want.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

But that still requires the use of generic heroes, right? You wouldn't be able to do that with Spider-Man, for example.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Quote:
I'm not against the hero eventually turning into a "villain stomper". But I don't want it to happen too quickly. If you add a point to a stat here or there, they'll become powerful within 2-4 games. If you don't award points every game, then it doesn't feel like you're making progress. I suppose you could award 0.5 points or something, with the stipulation that you can't "use it" until you have a full point, but that seems like it would get messy to track.

With the action currency system, once they save up enough, they could have a whole plethora of powerful abilities, but the key is that they would be consumable (unlike with stats). So there would be strategy regarding whether you want to use a little of your action currency each game, or save up for a big one. To achieve the "villain stomping" potential, the chart of available actions could have extremely powerful actions in them, like instant-kill powers. However, they would also have a very high cost, making one-time use only under most conditions.

Balantai's idea is cool, but it would only work for generic heroes, unfortunately.
Well there is the assigning of experience points to be accounted for. it could be 50 for abase stat increase to start, and then it would go to 75, 100, 125, (etc.), or however we wish to assign them.

As for earning those points, it could be 0.5 per charcter destroyed, and maybe 5 for completing the scenario. Then you could spend them when you had enough, on powers, or stats.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Quote:
But that still requires the use of generic heroes, right? You wouldn't be able to do that with Spider-Man, for example.
Per my original suggestion, for Spider Man you would start out as just peter parker, plain old science geek, and the first scenario would be the spider bite. Then you could grow with him, and modify him as you saw fit.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

But see, that requires coming up with specific powers for specific characters. I'm looking for a generic ruleset that can be applied to any hero, without having to, essentially, create a new custom when they power up and gain new powers. If you start with Peter Parker and give him a spider power at some point, there would be no consistency as to what you could give him, meaning his progress would no longer be comparable with another hero's progress. Make sense?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

I think my suggestion really only works for generic superheroes. Otherwise, you eventually get to a theme break. If I'm playing as Spidey, at what point am I not allowed to spend my points because it's not true to Spidey's theme.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Quote:
But see, that requires coming up with specific powers for specific characters. I'm looking for a generic ruleset that can be applied to any hero, without having to, essentially, create a new custom when they power up and gain new powers. If you start with Peter Parker and give him a spider power at some point, there would be no consistency as to what you could give him, meaning his progress would no longer be comparable with another hero's progress. Make sense?
Yes, but then again, with this concept, is it really supposed to be comparable to that of another?

Also, you could start with a generic Spider Man and grow with him into his Ultimate version.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations