Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Meditation

NPR had an interesting show with a Harvard professor speaking about the benefits of meditation or relaxation techniques at the genetic level.

I've been thinking for a while about trying meditation again, and wondered if anyone here had any experience/tips. One example mentioned was repetitive prayers, where you just repeat something over and over. I guess I'm just not sure how this works. Seems like it would be distracting.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Meditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
NPR had an interesting show with a Harvard professor speaking about the benefits of meditation or relaxation techniques at the genetic level.

I've been thinking for a while about trying meditation again, and wondered if anyone here had any experience/tips. One example mentioned was repetitive prayers, where you just repeat something over and over. I guess I'm just not sure how this works. Seems like it would be distracting.
My wife knows a bunch of stuff about meditation. I'll ask her if she'll be open to getting in touch with you if you want.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Check out the Silva Method.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Repetative prayer makes sense. It is basically chanting. The idea is that your mind is busy repeating the same thing over and over which does not allow it to let other thoughts enter into it. Therefore your regular daily grind thoughts (work, mortgage, bills, etc) are not brought into play during that time allowing your body to not feel the stress, anxiety etc associated with them allowing you to relax.
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The idea behind repetitive prayer is to overcome the conscious mind and move closer to "stillness." I was raised as a Buddhist and I remember putting myself to sleep in the third grade by using the phrase "In-Out" as I was breathing deeply. Did wonders for stilling my restless mind! I think meditative practice is increasingly important in our world as we have so many gadgets to keep us from ever finding stillness.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
The idea behind repetitive prayer is to overcome the conscious mind and move closer to "stillness." I was raised as a Buddhist and I remember putting myself to sleep in the third grade by using the phrase "In-Out" as I was breathing deeply. Did wonders for stilling my restless mind! I think meditative practice is increasingly important in our world as we have so many gadgets to keep us from ever finding stillness.
So do you say (in your head) "in" while you're breathing in, and then same for "out"?

A friend took me to a Buddhist meditation center or something in Chicago. We sat quietly and just looked at the floor. Occasionally the person running the thing would ring a bell and do some ritual or whatever. And then we got up and walked around. I just wasn't aware of what meditation was about, the stillness.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One method is to count breaths to ten and then repeat. We've done it in my philosophy class.

~Mr Migraine, chiming in as just another child referring to what he learned in some class taught by a hippie teacher, and assuming adults on this site will take what he says seriously
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I'm sure it's impossible to meditate with you in the room, though...I know I couldn't find inner stillness with a Migraine!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

The closest thing to meditation that I do is to plug in my iPod, turn on Sigur Ros or some other very relaxing band, and go on a walk. After a while, every thing from the sunlight to the trees to the music all seems to blend in together in peaceful, joyous whole. You guys should try it.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I call my meditation staring at something and just emptying your mind. It is very relaxing.

Another option is just going to sleep at a random time in the middle of the day. Preferably after you eat. If you do it every once in a while, your body will be rested for the next week should you continue your normal sleep schedule. Quiet rooms are best. Now I'm feeling like a recharging nap is needed for me...
:insertsleepingsmilie:

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
So do you say (in your head) "in" while you're breathing in, and then same for "out"?

A friend took me to a Buddhist meditation center or something in Chicago. We sat quietly and just looked at the floor. Occasionally the person running the thing would ring a bell and do some ritual or whatever. And then we got up and walked around. I just wasn't aware of what meditation was about, the stillness.
Yeah... and it worked well to give me something minimal to think about so I would not let distracting thoughts move me from stillness. Also, you might look up the Alexander technique... many actors study that system.

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General