Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:16 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Design

one of the few times I've popped into this project. I like where these guys seem to have ended up. Very cool/interesting powerset. Should make for some interesting games.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:18 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Design

I think that it's fair to call the vote for moving to Editing now. We're at 5/6 YEAs, so we should be good for @Scytale to run the checklist when he gets the chance.

@NecroBlade , do you mind updating the title of this thread to reflect that we're in Editing now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
one of the few times I've popped into this project. I like where these guys seem to have ended up. Very cool/interesting powerset. Should make for some interesting games.
Thanks for checking in on them! I'm excited to get to test them soon, and I think that the experiments theme is really cool.
Old November 8th, 2019, 09:32 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Editing

Welcome to editing.

Always enjoy seeing that other's are interested in and following this project. We hope the final product is exciting!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Is it intended that Alphas can Shift unrestrictedly? Currently, they can Shift up or down infinite levels, as well as through any obstacles.

It seems to me that an Alpha can Blink infinitely. It's targeted, it Blinks. It gets targeted again in its new position, it Blinks again. Repeat. Not that anyone in their right mind would do so, unless they happen to be 10 and like to annoy other players. I just don't think that the initial targeting "sticks" when it moves to another position.
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think shifting through obstacles is intended - in my mind they're talking short, Nightcrawler-esque jumps through another dimension. We could talk about an elevation restriction but I'd want it to be pretty high.
Old November 13th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I take it you do not want the Alphas to be able to Shift onto a glyph, right? "Empty,", not "unoccupied?" How about with Blink?

I limited Shift to normal movements only. It gets really messy otherwise, and I think that's the intent anyway.

Quote:
SHIFT
Before or after moving a Velnesh Alpha normally, you may place it on an empty space within 2 spaces of its current location. Velnesh Alphas will never take leaving engagement attacks while using Shift.

BLINK
When a Velnesh Alpha is targeted for a normal attack by an opponent's figure, you may place that Velnesh Alpha on an empty space adjacent to the attacking figure. Velnesh Alphas will never take leaving engagement attacks while using Blink.
Suggested R&Cs:
Quote:
Q: If a Velnesh Alpha is targeted for an attack by a Warforged Soldier, what happens first, Tactical Switch or Blink?
A: Blink. Tactical Switch occurs after targeting and before rolling attack dice.
General Checklist:

1. Are we recycling a unit name? No

2. Are we recycling a power name? No

3. If we are reusing an existing power, is the wording exactly the same? N/A

4. What happens when the powers are negated (Rod of Negation, Exploit Weakness)? If negated by Rod of Negation, the Velnesh Alphas could not use Shift or Blink. If negated by Exploit Weakness, they could not use Blink. Do any powers continue to have effects after being negated? No Is this clear from the wording?

5. Should the powers affect destructible objects? If we make a destructible object that can attack, I think Blink could be used against it, but I'm not sure.

6. Do any of the powers unintentionally synergize with other players' units? No

7. Do the powers allow turn stacking? No

8. Are any of the powers conditional on a future event? No Is that future event inevitable or avoidable?

9. Does it have a d20 power? No If is a small, medium, or large Hero, how does it interact with Mystic Sacrifice? If it is Tricky, how does it interact with Queen of Thieves? If it is Undead, how does it interact with Curse of the Mummy?

10. Do the powers create out-of-turn attacks? No

11. Are any powers conditional on the source of damage? No

12. Are any powers expected to work after all figures have been destroyed? No If so, is that clearly worded? How does it interact with revivals, via Glyph of Sturla or otherwise?

13. Do any powers that decrease attack or defense dice introduce a new minimum value (other than zero)? N/A

14. Do any powers change a Range value from 3 or less to 4 or greater or vice versa? No

15. Do any powers act unexpectedly in multiplayer games? No

16. Do any powers place other figures on this card? No If so, how does it interact with other place-on-card powers (Animated Materiel, Cling, Dwarven Gunners, Warriors Armor Spirit, Warriors Attack Spirit, Warrior's Swiftness Spirit, Necromancy)?

17. Does a power trigger off of an Order Marker being revealed on another Army Card? No If so, is the power expected to trigger if all figures associated with that Army Card have been destroyed?

18. Is it clear which powers are mandatory and which are optional? Both powers are clearly optional.

19. How do the powers interact with the Marro Hive? Nothing special.

20. If the unit is a Soulborg squad who follows Jandar, how do the powers interact with Directed Fire? N/A

21. Does any power's name or wording unintentionally prohibit the power's reusability? No

22. Does the text fit reasonably well on a card? Yes Use this tool to check: https://www.heroscapers.com/xorlof/x2cc.

Capitalization Checklist:

normal attack
Named Special Power

Style Checklist:

1. Species is always singular for Heroes and plural for Squads, except Human and Soulborg are always singular. Is "Velnesh" plural?

2. Class is always singular for Heroes and plural for Squads. "Experiments" is plural.

3. For Heroes with a name like {name} the {optional adjective} {noun}, use the full name for the first instance in each power description, and only the first {name} thereafter. N/A

4. Single-space, not single-spaced; double-space, not double-spaced. N/A

5. Always add 's' after an apostrophe for a singular possessive, even if the possessor ends in 's' or 'z'. N/A

6. Special attacks should have a newline between the Range/Attack line and the description. N/A

Unique Card Checklist:

1. How does it interact with Enslave/Moon Frenzy? N/A

2. How does it interact with Mind Shackle/Soul Devour? Nothing special.

Defense Power Checklist:

1. Does it work against special attacks? No If so, how does it interact with every special attack in the game (listed here)? Take careful note of interaction with multi-figure special attacks like Encircle Special Attack.

2. How does it interact with multi-normal attack powers, such as Hydra Heads, Flail Hurricane, Autocannons, and Two Heads are Better Than One? Each time the Alpha is targeted for a normal attack, it may use Blink.

3. How does it interact with Eagle Claw? N/A

4. How does it interact with Lumbering Bully/WHOMP!? Nothing special.

5. How does it interact with Knockback/Ramming? Nothing special.

6. How does it interact with Poison Weapons/Mortal Strike/Whetstone of Venom? N/A

7. How does it interact with Maul/Lethal Sting/Venomous Sting? Nothing special.

8. How does it interact with Paralyzing Stare/Whip? Nothing special.

9. How does it interact with Net Trip? Nothing special.

10. How does it interact with Life Drain/Life Transfer Aura/Sanguine Sword? Nothing special.

11. How does it interact with Bloodlust/Demonblade? Nothing special.

12. How does it interact with Tactical Switch? This one isn't clear, but I think "before rolling attack dice" would come after the targeting phase. So Blink would happen before Tactical Switch. Tactical Switch is poorly worded though, so I'm not sure when it happens in relation to the targeting phase.

13. How does it interact with Zombies Rise Again/Zombie Rises Again/Bloodborn Rising? Nothing special.

14. How does it interact with Reckless Second Swing? A Velnesh Alpha could use Blink before each attack.

15. How does it interact with powers that reduce defense dice? Nothing special.

16. How does it interact with Furious Wrath/Engorge? Nothing special.

17. How does it interact with Shocking Grasp/Breaching Scythe/Master's Strike? Nothing special.

18. How does it interact with Clear Shot? The movement from Blink could remove the Clear Shot bonus.

19. How does it interact with Upgrade? Nothing special.

20. How does it interact with Finishing Blow? Nothing special.

21. How does it interact with Cling? Nothing special.

22. How does it interact with Lycanthropy? Nothing special.

23. How does it interact with Cleave/Skewer? Nothing special.

24. How does it interact with Taste of Blood? Nothing special.

25. How does it interact with Crushing Grasp? Nothing special.

26. How does it interact with Revenant's Tome? Nothing special.

Movement Power Checklist:

1. Does it allow leaving engagement attacks? No

2. How does it interact with Engagement Strike/Ice Spikes/Braced Spear? Both Shift and Blink can trigger these powers.

3. How does it interact with Slippery? Shift can trigger Slippery. Blink can also trigger Slippery, which could cause Elaria to move away, and then she could retarget the Alpha, and it could Blink again.

4. How does it interact with Cyberclaw/Improved Cyberclaw? Cyberclaw would prevent the use of Shift and Blink.

5. How does it interact with Swirling Vortex? A Velnesh Alpha could Shift or Blink into or out of a Swirling Vortex.

6. Is there any way the figure can be forced to end its movement on an illegal space? No

7. Is it a space-by-space move power, or a teleport-like place power? Teleport-like Is it clear in the power which one it is? Yes

8. How does it interact with bonus movement powers, such as Movement Bonding or Jandar's Dispatch? Shift cannot be used with a bonus movement.

9. How does it interact with Shield Push? Shift cannot be used with Shield Push.

10. How does it interact with Maneuver? N/A

11. How does it interact with Steadfast? N/A

12. How does it interact with Flying/Stealth Flying? N/A

13. How does it interact with Levitation? N/A

Triggered Power Checklist:

Attack Targeting Triggered Powers:

1. Does it affect special attacks? No If so, how does it interact with every special attack in the game (listed here)? Take careful note of special attacks that do not use targeting like Fireline Special Attack.

2. What happens if the attacker changes targets? Nothing special.

Last edited by Scytale; November 14th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old November 13th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I take it you do not want the Alphas to be able to Shift onto a glyph, right? "Empty,", not "unoccupied?" How about with Blink?

I limited Shift to normal movements only. It gets really messy otherwise, and I think that's the intent anyway.
I personally don't see much of a reason to allow teleportation onto glyphs for either power. Maybe just to avoid new players potentially not knowing that an "empty space" doesn't have any glyphs on it, but I'm fine either way.

Limiting Shift to normal movements seems like a good change to me.

Something I just noticed that might pose an issue is that Blink can trigger off of friendly figures. If a player doesn't have to finish the attack after the Alpha moves when being targeted, then they can theoretically move their own Velnesh Alphas quite a few spaces for free before shooting at the enemy. If my understanding of this is correct, then I feel like we might need to specify that it only works against opponents' figures.
Old November 13th, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Something I just noticed that might pose an issue is that Blink can trigger off of friendly figures. If a player doesn't have to finish the attack after the Alpha moves when being targeted, then they can theoretically move their own Velnesh Alphas quite a few spaces for free before shooting at the enemy. If my understanding of this is correct, then I feel like we might need to specify that it only works against opponents' figures.
That's a tough one. The rules are incredibly vague when it comes to targeting, and the Nakitas made it clear that re-targeting is possible. My fellow Editors feel that the sensible rule is that targeting should only be allowed to be changed when the situation demands it (like Smoke Powder), but there are no actual rules that say so. Even then, there aren't any rules to say you have to go through with the attack--that would be another leap of reading stuff into vague rules. Blink seems like a drastic change, so even if that Alpha can still be targeted, it seems to me that the attacker shouldn't be forced to do so.

So I agree that it should be limited to opponent's figures only.
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:38 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Interesting - I do remember discussion that you can target an infinite # of figures (including going back and forth between the same figures) in an attack until you actually roll attack dice, so yes close the loophole of targeting your own Velnesh Alphas just to shift, then retarget the person you plan on attacking. Hypothetically you could go back and forth on targeting to shift multiple times, making it worse even than how Deathreavers were before they were erratad, as you actually had to attack them.
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:47 AM

I added a "by an opponent's figure" restriction to Blink.
Old November 16th, 2019, 05:07 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Reasonable restriction. Anything else?
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:41 PM

Nothing else comes to my mind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs