Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Notices

Old June 17th, 2019, 11:44 AM

Zarqueam is surprisingly tart
Re: Quick post

So wait. This is now Post-apocalyptic Scape!
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:30 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My withdrawal symptoms have just abated . . . just a bit. Phew.
Old June 17th, 2019, 08:07 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarqueam View Post
So wait. This is now Post-apocalyptic Scape!
People have been preaching the doom of the scape-pocalypse since I was a kid lol. Heroscape will never truly die
Old June 20th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I still don't know the whole story, but the gist of what happened is as follows...

Our co-located server, along with thousands of others, was to be "moved" (keeping it simple here) within our hosting provider's network midday on the Friday it went down. This sort of activity is generally planned well in advance and is fairly straightforward. We did receive advance notice because it would involve some downtime, but the downtime should have been about 5 minutes, so I didn't bother with any notice here.

For reasons that are still unclear, the move unexpectedly resulted in all of those thousands of servers to be given new static IPs. Since that wasn't planned ahead of time, and apparently the "move" (as I'm calling it here) couldn't be pulled back, servers needed to be patched after-the-fact. Manually. And it had to be done by the hosting provider (since customers no longer had remote access to their servers). Big customers got attention first--we had to stand in line for a while, but weren't the last.

This was obviously not what anybody wanted. To try and make it right, our hosting provider is providing us, at no additional charge, with two things indefinitely: 1) a faster connection (gigabit vs 100meg), and 2) kvm over ip service (you can look it up if you want, but basically if we had this we would have been able to fix our own server in a similar sort of event instead of waiting or the hosting provider to be able to do it).

That's pretty much all I know. I'm still trying to decide if we should jump ship and go with someone else or not.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old June 20th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the update, X. It’s interesting to read even though the technical stuff is beyond me.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 20th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Thanks Xorlof!
Old June 20th, 2019, 04:50 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's pretty catastrophic for the hosting provider. I figured if this was widespread on their service we would not be high on the list of priority customers. Customers that are trying to run their businesses off their service must be infinitely more angered by it than us.

It still seems odd it took over a week to get us back online. Generally when website migrations go bad it's a long weekend at most. Obviously I don't know all the details here, but it doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in them.

Thanks for getting us back online and letting us know what happened!
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:47 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Did a HostChecker lookup, I guess we can blame FDCservers.net. At least they tried to make it up slightly. You can check prices for hosting maybe you can migrate if is not too hard to cut over. I'm going to resubscribe again - all of y'all on this site should pay because they deserve our $.
Old June 25th, 2019, 12:39 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I'm going to resubscribe again - all of y'all on this site should pay because they deserve our $.
Amen brother, sing the truth!

I've just resubscribed. Hope many others do too. Let's keep this site up folks!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News