Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old September 14th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Reinforcements Arrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
For sure. The only real negative of the poker cards is you get less of that awesome A3n art.
That is some real truth right there.

Speaking of A3n art, I look forward to his choice on the Mirror Destructible Object. the question is, what will the maestro do?

1) Should it be consistent with other DOs (the breakable wall and the HelmAverse cars) and be an actual pic on a battlefield?
2) Should it be the same background as Mirror Master with the mirror in place instead of the MM figure?
3) Should it be something completely different?

If choice 1 is the best call, I've added a pic to the gallery that might work:

Artistic control is in his great hands.
Old September 15th, 2021, 03:17 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

thank you. I was meaning to take a photo of my warehouse & put your original image in front of it. Just hadn't got to digging out the pieces or camera yet.
Old September 15th, 2021, 03:23 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Old September 15th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS! That looks great.

Thanks, pal.
Old October 15th, 2021, 07:16 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Cool Kung Fu ability. 140 seems quite expensive, though.
I agree with Necro here; this Shang Chi is fairly comparable to Agent Carr, who isn't exactly striking terror into anyone's hearts at 100 points.
That’s two of the most respected scape gurus expressing the same opinion. I’d be a fool if I didn’t explore Shang-Chi’s point value.

I’ll have to run him through more tests. When we did play him, he felt alright in the army builds he was in but that may be due to the protection he had on the maps or the need for opponents to focus on other figures. Shang-Chi was able to get into battles and do some damage with his Kung Fu power.

Offensively, he rolls the following:
Zero hits - 1 out of 16
2 hits - 6 out of 16
3 hits - 8 out of 16
4 hits - 1 out of 16

To get at least 2 hits on virtually every roll (the few times he got a bonus and rolled 5 dice is even crazier) seems to make him more dangerous than Agent Carr. And counter strike, even with only 4 defense dice, helps him get in a sneaky wound once in a while. Especially to low attack melee squads.

With that said, he doesn’t have range, no super movement power, and nothing to help him defensively against ranged attacks or special attacks. Therefore, he can be taken down easily if the opponent has the chance to jump on him proactively.

Like I said, I’ll try and run him in a few more battles before I print up his card, just in case he needs an adjustment. Thanks for helping with feedback.
It's been a minute since I got around to real scape but I did not forget the comments of Necro and Sherman. Today, I was able to run a few mini one-on-one bouts with Shang-Chi against several HelmAverse 150 pt adversaries. In almost every battle, Shang-Chi squeaked by with a victory but that actually supports the criticism of his current points rather than validate it. Most of his opponents had powers that didn't come into play after locking up with him so they weren't really using their full value in the fights. Those with even small Special Attacks really performed better because they can avoid his Counter Strike.

Anyway, I definitely now agree that his point value should be lowered. By how much is tough to say. I think I would be comfortable at 130 but I don't even know if that's where it would end. His attack is nasty but he lacks mobility and defenses against range and special attacks.

For now, we will go with an amend of points to 130.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to get some play testing in soon so that I can finish off a certain Image icon as well as work on A3n's Abra-Cadabra.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:02 PM
Captain Underpants

Wow, it seems like forever since I really got the chance to post a new character design. With Helm Jr. in college, play testing comes around a little less often. Luckily, Lil'Helm (and sometimes even J Strikes) has been a motivating force to get a little plastic mayhem in once in a while. Tonight, we hope we finally got this fellow in a place where we think we are comfortable. I cannot tell you how difficult it was to capture this guy in a Helm-y sort of way without making him just ridiculous. I mean, how do you depict a character who basically has every power imaginable? Believe me, it has been hellish...

Well, let's get to him, daddy Helm presents:

-------------------------------

SPAWN

HELLSPAWN
UNIQUE HERO
ASSASSIN
DEFIANT
MEDIUM 5

LIFE: 7
MOVE: 6
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 5
DEFENSE: 5

NEGATIVE ENERGY HEALING 11
After taking a turn with Spawn, if he is engaged, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, remove one Wound Marker from this card.

NECROPLASM SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 3. Attack: 6 + Special.
When attacking with Spawn's Necroplasm Special Attack place a wound marker on this card and roll 6 attack dice. If Spawn is attacking an adjacent figure with his Necroplasm Special Attack, he may add 1 additional attack die.

STEALTH FLYING
When counting spaces for Spawn’s movement, ignore elevations. Spawn may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Spawn starts to fly, if he is engaged he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

SUPERSTRENGTH

-------------------------

Figure used is Heroclix "Nightwatch" with an added cape collar from a Doctor Strange clix and a little bright red paint to Nightwatch's previously grey cape. We didn't bother getting crazy with any other costume details since Spawn has not always been consistent anyway.

-------------------------

EDIT: Changed the wording on Necroplasm Special Attack based on suggestion from Ticket-Master.

EDIT: I agreed with Sherman and A3n and removed the redundancy regarding being engaged with at least one opponent figure.

Last edited by Matt Helm; November 25th, 2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:09 PM
Captain Underpants

After printing some of the recent HelmAverse cards, we did notice that the font on the newer cards is larger than ever before. Maybe this was intentional as A3n may be getting as old as me so the bigger font acts like that deck of cards that my gramps used to use to play pinochle.

If not intentional, check out Nova, Kick-Ass, Beast Boy, Shang-Chi and the Mirror D.O. and compare the font to Hasbro's Iron Man.

The Helm crew doesn't mind either way, like I said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I just wanted to raise awareness in case the old A3n OCD needs to be alerted.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:16 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Would this not work better for the special attack:
Range 3. Attack 6 + Special
Before attacking with Necroplasm Special Attack, place a wound marker on this card. When attacking an adjacent figure with this special attack roll one additional die.

Or something similar. Just seems more efficient to word it this way. Unless I’m missing an interaction with how you have it worded.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:22 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglkn View Post
Would this not work better for the special attack:
Range 3. Attack 6 + Special
Before attacking with Necroplasm Special Attack, place a wound marker on this card. When attacking an adjacent figure with this special attack roll one additional die.

Or something similar. Just seems more efficient to word it this way. Unless I’m missing an interaction with how you have it worded.
I agree, that's much better. If you saw the piece of paper with all of the printing, pen, and pencil changes that this guy went through you'd have sympathy for my poor choice of wording. It's like we ran around in circles trying to make it work back and forth as a normal attack with bonuses or a special attack. I Think I like your wording better than what we landed on earlier this evening. Thanks, Ticks.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:27 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

No problem. When I see the same phrase repeated twice like that there’s usually better way to word it.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:29 PM
Captain Underpants

I hope you don't mind I altered your suggestion a little. I wanted to avoid the "+ Special" since there are only two options. It is either 6 or it is 7. It's easier for me to remember how the power works if I list both options that way.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:31 PM
Tickle Pickle

It’s still your card so do what you want with it. I typed this on my phone while watching the Utah Jazz play so I’d be surprised if it was perfectly worded anyways.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations