Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old March 15th, 2018, 12:28 PM
C3G Con Champ 2021 and 2022!

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!
The Book of Mantis

The Book of Mantis

C3G MARVEL WAVE 28
MARVEL COSMIC

Comic PDF

Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Guardians of the Galaxy set.
Its model number and name are #003 / Mantis.

Character Bio - Mantis is the half-Vietnamese, half-German daughter of Gustav Brandt—Libra—and was born in Huế, Vietnam. In her childhood, her father leaves her in Vietnam at the Temple of the alien Priests of Pama, a sect of the Kree. The Kree believe she might become the Celestial Madonna and mate with the eldest Cotati on Earth to become the mother of the Celestial Messiah, "the most important being in the universe". She excels in her martial arts studies, but when she reaches adulthood, she is mind-wiped and sent into the world to gain life experience.

Mantis goes on to have many adventures with the Avengers. She battles the original Zodiac, and learns that Libra is her father and that she was raised by the Priests of Pama. She encounters the Star-Stalker, battles Thanos, Klaw and Solarr, Nuklo, and then alongside the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Inhumans, she faces Ultron at the wedding of Quicksilver and Crystal. Mantis forms a relationship with the Silver Surfer but eventually is presumed dead after being caught in an explosion. This explosion results in her being fragmented, sending multiple copies of her to Earth.

Following Annihilation and the Secret Invasion storylines, Mantis takes up residence on the Knowhere station. She assumes the role as the Guardian's councelor. It was later revealed that Star-Lord has Mantis use her mental powers to manipulate the group to join together against their will. This causes the group to temporarily disband, however, this was not the end of Mantis' adventures with the Guardians.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Mantis can heal a Plant or Flora Colossus adjacent to her using her Organic Healing special power.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Last edited by Splash; August 5th, 2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: png
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Mantis (Breathing)

NAME = MANTIS

SPECIES = MUTATE
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = EMPATH
PERSONALITY = BENEVOLENT

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 200

EMPATHETIC LINK
If no Unique Heroes in your army have the same species or personality:
• an opponent may never remove or rearrange Order Markers on Unique Hero cards you control, and
• at the beginning of your turn, you may move an unrevealed Order Marker from this card to any Unique Hero card in your army.

NERVE PUNCH
When attacking an opponent's adjacent figure with a normal attack, add one automatic skull to whatever is rolled. If Mantis inflicts one or more wounds on an adjacent Unique Hero with a normal attack, you may immediately remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random from the defending figure's Army Card.

ORGANIC HEALING
After taking a turn with Mantis, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 12 or higher, remove one Wound Marker from this card or the card of an adjacent Flora Colossus or Plant figure.

Last edited by Arkham; May 15th, 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Comic:
Spoiler Alert!

Figure:

Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Arkham; May 15th, 2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I've got to say, Cosmic Grounding feels really underwhelming. Counterdraft protection from figures moving or removing Order Markers and a tiny D20 bonus if you're next to her? Feels fairly minor, weak and not that interesting to me. Is there a way we could make it more... interesting?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Always open to ideas and suggestions, but a light bonus that helps the team and herself where they could use it, doesn’t seem boring to me. Especially since she’s got her other 2 powers that will define her play.
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I think I asked this before, but is Grounding meant to prevent rearrangement as well as removal? If so, I'm all for it. I draft Batman (Dick) just for the Joker/Thinker immunity sometimes. Don't mind having another option there.
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:47 PM

We can add that in. It's simple enough and stays within the confines of the power.
Old March 15th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Okay, so, Mantis. Tough one.

First off - I do sort of prefer Telepath here, because, well, she is. But I understand the desire for lack of redundancy in the GOTG team, and her powers are so wide-reachijg and ill-defined that I'm fine with whatever.

For personality, assuming we're going with her green cosmic look for sculpt, I'd suggest something flike RESERVED or MYSTERIOUS. Maybe even MANIPULATIVE.

Cosmic Grounding is a nice blanket power for her. I'd want us to try and ape Emotional Grounding off of Silk Spectre, just because they're in such similar thematic and mechanical ground. Even if only in the peculiar wording with the choosing not to remove it. Keep it consistent in that way.

The other two powers feel right to me, capturing her martial arts prowess and "weird esper" set of abilities. Shouldn't she have range, though? 3-5 I'd say, between her fire powers and plant control and telepathic abilities and all the other weird crap she does.
Old March 15th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Range would be fine.

As for Telepath, from the research I've done, it seems like Empath is truly the more thematic choice. I don't seem to recall a whole lot of Telepathic stuff for her. I could be wrong, it's been a good year and a half since I originally threw most of this together.
Old March 15th, 2018, 03:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Still not crazy about the Nerve Punch & Precognitive Strike combo. It just seems to me like she won't be much fun to play against with a melee figure one on one. I win initiative, try to attack, d20 roll of 11+ (50% chance), I take 1W and lose my turn, Mantis attacks & hits on her OM1, removing my OM2 or OM3. The round just started and I'm already looking at 1 #ed OM left compared to her 2 #OM's and I only have a 50% chance of even getting to roll any attack dice. Of the two I'd rather see Nerve Punch replaced with something else, Precognitive Strike seems like a better fit for her of the two and the dial can easily be turned if needed.
Old March 15th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

A few things:

1) I only know her from Guardians II, but based on that and the fact that it causes fewer problems for the faction, I like Empath over Telepath - she was fairly clear that there was a distinction.
2) I often find D20 manipulation powers to be kind of... dull, what with the fact that that they're usually just a manipulaton of one point and that almost never seems to come up as an actual bonus. Do you think we could bump that to a +2 (since it only affects adjacent figures anyway) and, to get across that Guardians theme and try to make it less easily exploitable - make Cosmic Grounding only work if every figure you control has a different Species and Class, or maybe Class and Personality to make it different and get across more of that emotion angle?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 15th, 2018, 04:05 PM

I thought about the restriction of unique class and personalities. I'll let the others chime in, but I'm not opposed to it. If that results in a +2, cool. If not, it's supposed to be a light power in terms of how often it is used. Keep in mind though, that's not just allies it's affecting. If she attacks Spider-Man, she can lower it by 1. If Psylocke is adjacent and uses Psychic Knife against her or an ally, she can lower it by 1. You station her next to Waller or Professor X for example, and she can raise or lower that roll by 1. So it's more useful than you're giving it credit for IMO.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library