Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Basic Shape Building #5a & 5b

I couldn't remember for my life what I was trying to accomplish with these pieces after I took a look at them. I think they were what was left from the giant piece of foam and I just marked it bldg5.

The pieces

So what I did was just took the two large pieces and did the normal window placement.

Chopped them in half like so...

...and made two buildings out of them. This most likely is going to be the fate of building #1 as well.

Next update: Destroying the buildings.

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Building #1 Wreckage

Here are some shots of the now 'ruined' version of building #1. There are a lot of small details that won't be visible until it's painted.

Next Update: Building #2 Wreckage

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
My eyes are firmly planted on this thread!!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Building #2 Wreckage

Here's the ruined version of building #2. I added some overhangs for better firing positions and added some Orks for scale.

Next Update: Building #3 Wreckage

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

Building #3 Wreckage & Roof

I decided I wanted to do a slanted roof with this building, so I had to add back some slanted walls.

It's never a nice flush fit, so I use spackle to fill the gaps.

Added the floors and rails.

Beams for the roof.

A cool detail to add in industrial buildings is 'giant' fans. I used to pilfer computer fans out of PCs that were getting tossed at work.

These are actually pretty small, but they'll fit nice in the roof.

Can't tell you how many times I've found uses for these old gift cards. Used to work at a Borders, and kept all the used ones.

Just a lucky accident that one of these 40mm bases is the same size as the circle on the fan.

Superglued the fan to the giftcard and hot glued that to the roof beams.

And repeat.

Time for the roof. Box look familiar?

I cut off the ends and then peel back one layer. This is an incredibly tedious process, as the paper does not come off nice an clean. After about a 1/2 hour I finally got the desired result (next pic).

When painted this will look like one of those metal roofs you sometimes see on a warehouse.

Cut and piece onto the roof. I only hot glued the pieces to the top and bottom beam (explanation below).

I didn't quite have enough to cover the whole roof (oops) but that's the beauty of a ruined building, I can just make a bomb hole.

Since we'll need to be able to get our hands in here to move figs, I cut the top and bottom beam from the building so that the roof can be removed during game play (will rest on the two middle beams).

Success!

Wreckage time!

Next update: Building #4 Wreckage

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Building #4 Siding and Roof Part I

Been putting off building #4 for a while due to the tedium I knew I was in for since it's supposed to be a warehouse type building and I want the walls to be like the roof I put on building #3. Peeling apart that one piece of cardboard for bldg #3 and scraping off all the leftover took much more time than I have the patience for.

Then it dawned on me (and this is something I knew about but it didn't hit me until now), the fastest and cleanest way to separate corrugated cardboard is with steam.

Here's what it looks like when you just try to tear off the top layer.

Now add one of these:

...and you get this.

Still takes a little bit of time for the steam to work its magic so I just hovered the cardboard over the humidifier and started on building #6 (next post).

About 40 minutes later and...

Ready to go.

As the cardboard dries out from the steam bath it will start to bend, but that's nothing a hot glue gun can't fix.

I cut each section to about 7 inch lengths just so it would be easier to work with.

One side done.

With all the siding on I added a platform on the outside to give the building some character.

Now for the roof.

This is called a lense (I think) and it can be found at Home Depot in the area of fluorescent lighting.

Cut a couple lengths off and put them on top of the walls. Want to separate the roof from the building a little bit.

Now for the framing. This is as far as I've got so far, when it's finished it'll be removable for game play, but for now everything is hot glued for stability.

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Building #6

As mentioned in the building #4 post I had some time to kill while steaming the cardboard for separation. I want to have some industrial type pieces in this city as well so it's time to raid the junk piles.

Here's the box of 'broken' toys from the kids.

This thing is the motor section from a hot wheels gorilla track system. My son used it the night we bought it for him and never again. Just sat around to the point my wife decided to chuck it, and that's when I rescued this piece.

Time to raid a couple junk/bit drawers.

At this point all the cardboard for bldg #4 was ready so this is where I am with this for now. I plan to place this in a building that has been destroyed down to its foundation. After some more bits are added and some paint this will look like something... I hope.

Last edited by nyys; October 28th, 2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Wow, looks great. The only thing i can suggest is that you make some hills or other natural hight in the final project, the other ones you did where just a little to flat. Though the high amount of buildings might fix that.

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanter
Wow, looks great. The only thing i can suggest is that you make some hills or other natural hight in the final project, the other ones you did where just a little to flat. Though the high amount of buildings might fix that.
Thanks. The whole board is going to a city, but I do plan to make some giant piles of rubble that I guess you could call hills...
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Deathclaw767 Woo who?
Hooray for Orks! I'm not much of a WH or 40k player, but one of my buddies is a fanatic. Sadly, with the amount of creation and painting and assembly, I never got into it after discovering 'Scape. His parents split had him moved to Spain for some odd reason last year, so I have been throwing away my wonderfully useful junk that I don't find odd enough to keep. Anyway, I really like looking at the things you guys find the time to come up with, and I'll enjoy looking for updates here!

C:\Documents and Settings\David Alm\Desktop\GOW sig\GOW2 sig.JPG
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM

bobofdeath Woo who?
wow
It looks really good. My favorite is the one with the fans in the roof.
Please keep the pics coming!!!

bobofdeath
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thanks for this nyys, I've been looking for this type of photo-walk-through-magical-to-watch-super-special-awesome look into board building everywhere on the net, but I've come up with little.

It really amuses me to see things go from first step to last step... What can I say, I'm easily amused sometimes.

~Neko

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles