Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
At GenCon I managed to place fourth (out of 32 entries) in the Big Ol' Monster Battle with a Jotun army:

Jotun (225)
Deathreavers x 4 (160)
Isamu (10)

My strategy was to lock down the opponent's range and mobility with the rats then come in with Jotun to clean up. It worked pretty well until I was up against special attacks that don't cause the rats to scatter.

With 500 points I'd probably add in some range--Krav Maga or Syvarris. The strategy would basically be the same: send in the rats to lock down the battlefield, then pick off the squad figs with the Krav and send Jotun up against the heroes.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I have year old Heroscape news!

darkclown789 has disabled reputation
Here is a tough one -

Jotun: 225
Raelin: 80
AE: 110:
Thorgrim: 80

Total: 495.

Strategy: Suicide Thorgrim, hopefully inflicting a wound or two, dropping the AE whenever possible. Jotun and Raelin bull-rush to clean up what is left.

~Darkclown

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!
Talking Re: Base a Competitive Army Around: Jotun

My first post...please be gentle:

Jotun 225
2x Venoc Vipers 80
1x Venoc Warlord 120
1x Anubian Wolves/1x James Murphy 75

This Army is flexible and frustrating for your opponents. It is playtested (with the Wolves) and beat a Q9/Krav Army 3/3 (close each time.)

I like lots of Venocs, even now, with their missile like characteristics and move of 9 with the Warlord. And I hate slowing down for water.

This army is a little D20 dependent (okay, a lot!), but you get lots of chances to work through the variance. Plus, don't we all still play for FUN sometimes - and I win enough with this army for it to be plenty of fun.
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Base a Competitive Army Around: Jotun

Welcome Aboard, AnubianWolf88!

I've been thinking about competetive Jotun armies lately and like the Venocs as an additional threat. My personal musings have been turning to newer figs to pair him with. What about:

Jotun 225
Sonlen 160
Moriko 110

All Ullar, which is nice, but more importantly I think it's competetive. Moriko can bypass filler squads like the Rats, Jotun is a powerhouse vs. heroes and Sonlen is a solid attacker with the chance of healing any of the above. I'm also counting a bit on the jungle to help at range, but there's plenty of life here to absorb a few strikes.

~Aldin, eager for Friday the 13th

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM

cowmaster13 Woo who?

Cant resist

Still i have an army

1x Saylind 90
1x Jotun 225
1x Kelda 80
1x Crixus 90
1x Isamu 10

This army sends in Crixus to deal with any thing the Jotun could not deal with. Then summon him back and heal. Send out Jotun and smash everything. Re summon and heal if needed. Isamu and Crixus cant deal with anything the Jotun cant.

1 more thing

Yes I play too many card games!

Heroscape strategy puzzles, play them.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=16494
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:05 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Jotun
Zombies Of Moridan x2
Krav Maga Agents
Venoc Vipers

Zombies of Moridan give defense and counter swarm units which are one of Jotun's weaknesses.
Krav Maga Agents are a great counter to ranged units, another weakness.
Vipers will help deal with those pesky ranged units too.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Talking Green with Ullar love

I grabbed a bunch of Jotun-based armies from this thread last night and used this one in my first game on
Flanking of the North Army by Soul Shackle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Jotun 225
Dead Eye Dan 60
Charos 210

Total: 495 points
My plan was to play nothing but Jotun-based armies all last night, but for some reason I decided otherwise.
I was up against MacDirk and Highlandersx2, Marro Warriors, Syvarris, Thorgrim, and Marcu.
The two titans, storming up and over the center hill descended and tore the place apart!
Charos died to too many Scottish blades, but Jotun finished Thorgrim,MacDirk and the stragglers. He managed to lay 5 wounds on Marcu before dying.
Marcu came after DED who just shot him from afar with a single, garlic-dipped, incendiary bullet shot between the eyes.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Off the top of my head at 4 in the morning:

Jotun 225
Grimnak 120
2x Heavy Gruts 140
Isamu 10

In theory I see using the Heavy Gruts and Grimnak to help get rid of small units and rush ranged units taking full advantage of the Heavy Gruts disengage ability to get around rats and reach ranged units. Once they're gone unleash Jotun and let him do his thing.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

His 5 makes me think of the Redcoats.

Jotun 225
3x Redcoats 450
Marro Warriors 500

It doesn't exactly use him in any exciting way, so I guess I fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

It may not be exciting, but it does seem smart, Jexik. The 10th act as a great cover for the big guy--stopping the 10th from getting into a powerful WTF situation is about the only think I can think of that would distract me from firing all shots at Jotun. If you can use your order markers well, I think you could really mess with someone using this army...
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:32 PM

KCU_Master_2009 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

can you give me some good armies to use? I want to win and take over the heroscape world....HAHA!
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU_Master_2009 View Post
can you give me some good armies to use? I want to win and take over the heroscape world....HAHA!
Maybe if you'd read one of the 46 posts before you about basing a competitive army around Jotun, you'd find plenty of ideas.

As for taking over the HeroScape world, go to GenCon and test your dominance in the game there with whatever army you find suitable to accompany Jotun. I'm sure you will "rule the HeroScape world" .

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion