Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker
Re: How to counter Turtle/steamroll/blitz armies

4th players, for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
4th players, for one...

Why would you turtle with commons that have four defense WITH Raelin?

That is a one shield average defense roll (1.3, really) Those would go down really easily, against most figures. Plus, Raelin goes down easily, which means dead revolutionaries.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post
Quote:
4th players, for one...

That is a one shield average defense roll (1.3, really) Those would go down really easily, against most figures. Plus, Raelin goes down easily, which means dead revolutionaries.
WTF.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

Yep, but the fact is, this cheap army is tried and true, and the uncreative resort to it when they want to get a cheap win.

I'm a F18, bro.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

WTF.
Fine, maybe it's just because I can only use two squads of them. But whenever I play against them they die right away. Maybe this is because Scapemaster doesn't know how to use them, I don't know.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Yeah! I'm Here View Post
Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

Yep, but the fact is, this cheap army is tried and true, and the uncreative resort to it when they want to get a cheap win.
Cheap as in low point cost, or cheap as in four attacks of three is too powerful?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

Cheap as in low point cost, or cheap as in four attacks of three is too powerful?
Cheap as in the strategy is simple and boring. You take high ground, wait for opponent to attempt to rush you, they die. It isn't anywhere near a fair fight.

I'm a F18, bro.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

Cheap as in the strategy is simple and boring. You take high ground, wait for opponent to attempt to rush you, they die. It isn't anywhere near a fair fight.
Yea, that would be four attacks of four. I guess that that rarely happens to me because I get the high ground first, or because Scapemaster (who I usually play against) Just leaves them in the starting zone while he deals with Cyprein/another threatening force of mine.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Gluing The Mask On This Time...

Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby!

Hmm, who to back up... My friend, who's right; or the rest of the community, who's also right...

Here's how I see it:

The 4th Mass, as I've played, are good, albeit situational. In order to be successful, you need height, a def buff (Raelin/valient army) and be able to hit the opponent on their way to you. If your opponent (i.e. turtleking) uses Cyprien, or other figures of the like, you are, to put it nicely, screwed.

You cannot hit Cyprein, whilst camping, because he can stay out of range, then pop in and destroy you before you can get enough hits on him, all the while, he's healing, and taking away all you advantages with the 4th.

HOWEVER, as a basis, the 4th/10th are very good in turtles, as they get more attack for doing what turtles do best: sit there and not lose.

This also explains why, in the before-mentioned posts, I do poorly, and have resorted to other armies to take out Turtleking's favorite unit.

~Those who live by the dice, die by the dice.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
Hmm, who to back up... My friend, who's right; or the rest of the community, who's also right...

Here's how I see it:

The 4th Mass, as I've played, are good, albeit situational. In order to be successful, you need height, a def buff (Raelin/valient army) and be able to hit the opponent on their way to you. If your opponent (i.e. turtleking) uses Cyprien, or other figures of the like, you are, to put it nicely, screwed.

You cannot hit Cyprein, whilst camping, because he can stay out of range, then pop in and destroy you before you can get enough hits on him, all the while, he's healing, and taking away all you advantages with the 4th.

HOWEVER, as a basis, the 4th/10th are very good in turtles, as they get more attack for doing what turtles do best: sit there and not lose.

This also explains why, in the before-mentioned posts, I do poorly, and have resorted to other armies to take out Turtleking's favorite unit.

Gee, thanks for backing me up, Scapemaster
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Look at this guide I wrote up (about the same time as this was posted actually).

You didn't really go deep enough with your concept here OY!IH. The 4th Mass, 10th Reg, and Stingers (don't think the last two were mentioned yet though) as qualify as what I refer to as Steam Roller units. They are ranged, yes, but use short - mid ranged attacks. Because of this, they typically have to move across the board in a big group otherwise they get thinned out and can't take advantage of their WTF bonus with maximum effect.

There is much more to playing a 4th Mass/10th Reg army than simply gaining high ground and waiting for your opponent to come to you...why would they, they are at a significant disadvantage. Instead, you need to have a significant amount of figures on the board and moving forward for them to reach their maximum potential. WTF is not what makes them great, its the fact that they are common and have 4 activations each turn.

And...if Cyprien really wants to fly into a bunch of 4th Mass, I'll gladly take 4 shots of 3-4 at him in exchange for (most likely) one figure a turn till he's dead.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM

pixlepix Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
4th players, for one...

1.333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 really

"Heroscape isn't interfering with your life. Your life is interfering with heroscape."
Basic guide to heroscape
guide to heroscape rules
The best online game ever(try it out for a month.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles