Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:17 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Favourite Competitive army's

Thanks @Dysole I forgot about the Tarns!!! I like that idea My only concern is that I have no range, is this something I need to be concerned about?

(My one-hundredth post!!!)

H E R O S C A P E
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Home on the Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaperedude View Post
Thanks @Dysole I forgot about the Tarns!!! I like that idea My only concern is that I have no range, is this something I need to be concerned about?

(My one-hundredth post!!!)
I misread your thing and read it as you wanting a melee option. If you want range go Marro Warriors and never look back. Range definitely has advantages over melee but you can beat range with pure melee.

~Dysole, who will say that the MW are better than the Tarns but the Tarns are still fun
Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:34 PM

HolyDiver is surprisingly tart

Lately I've also been playing a fun Scout army. Venoc x1, Armoc x1, Sujoah, Spiders x1, MRT, and Mittens. The Mohicans have quickly become one of my favorite units. If I had multiples of these squads, I would probably change it to Mittens, Venocx2, Armocx2, MRTx2, and Zetacron, mostly because in 5 games Sujoah has never once earned her points. Heck, I have better luck attacking with my one lonely squad of spiders than with her! And that's even taking into account that I've never once gotten the roll for entangling web. Usually, Sujoah either swoops in and kills a hero immediately, then dies, or just dies without even killing that hero. Perhaps I just use her too early or too aggressively, but I do like having a giant scorpion-wasp to distract while my Venocs sneak up and Mohicans slip into the high ground.

(I previously had Brave Arrow instead of the Venocs, but with only one squad of MRTs, he's just not worth it.)
Old November 7th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:

Basically having a screen for the 10th Reg kinda waste one of their power, they're strong enough to not need a screen. You better play something which is good against range with 10th reg, or play them with Raelin to protect them more against range. Romans help them more against melee which is an overkill.

It depends. They can use a screen versus screens. Brutes/Goblins can be a problem. As can Deathreavers.
I would prefer 100% 10th reg against Brutes, Goblins or Deathreavers. There is not a huge difference between full 10th reg or mix in this machup tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:

About Marcus, the 6-move is really great because it helps them a lot against range, but as the +1 attack aura is not usable without Romans (on most maps), and this aura is also almost useless against range, paying 100 points just for the +1 move is very expensive.

Marcus also gives +1 to Attack to adjacent 10th (Soldiers), so setting up a pod of 10th with him makes sense.
Setting up a pod will be impossible on most maps except if you're playing against full melee.
That's what the free bonding turn granted by the Romans is for. You send your Legionnaires forward with another warlord, but Marcus is only bonded with in order to get him in the middle of a bunch of redcoats.
And your opponent will just have to dodge this spot, which quite easy with a ranged army. This strategy is only strong against melee and 10th are already very strong against melee so they don't need that.
If you're against range it's not a strong strategy, you have to play Romans first under the fire of the ennemy and mixing bondings with Marcus and the other Warlord slows you quite a lot, which is a big problem against range.
And then your opponent can play around the spot.
It's way too much of investments for not so great rewards.

I played with Redcoats+Romans+Marcus about 20 times and there were not a single game where the Marcus+Redcoats pod strategy was was worth it. Using Marcus as melee champ with the Romans has way better results.

My point that anything that helps against melee is not worth it for Redcoats, you better take more Redcoats squads.
So Romans as a screen helps against melee, the Marcus aura also help against melee, the only good thing against range is the +1 move. But paying 100 points for this is harsh.

Old November 8th, 2015, 09:40 PM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker

Knights and Heavies are always fun. My favorite bonding melee army, though, is Axes and dwarf hero(es) of choice. I love option to go fast (without hero) if needed, and their +1 versus large is great when facing Q9 or dragons.

As far as ranged squads go, I tend to run 10th a lot. If the point range is right, I'll pick Marcus. He's handy if you're facing something like Minions or Protectors, who have a high enough defense that the extra attack die is worth it and that the increase in base movement can make the difference in getting high ground.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:40 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperySlope View Post
Knights and Heavies are always fun.
I like playing KoW vs Heavies. One of the best matches (that I lost) in a tournament was Knights with Raelin SOTM vs Heavies. The match could have gone either way. Great stuff.
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:44 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Zombies x5-300
Raelin-80

So.. for the last 120 points..? Sometimes I go Airborne and Isamu. Sometimes Skahen, or maybe Krav and Marcu. Maybe Kaemon. I've used Krug before, but I tend to choose some sort of range to add to the zombies. Krav/Marcu or Airborne are usually what I choose because I like to get rid of my opponent's range as quick as possible so that Raelin won't ever get attacked and zombies won't get shot up on their slow stroll along the park. Any other scaper's opinion for those last 120 points?

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old November 15th, 2015, 11:53 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

@mtl1998 , I LOVE the zombie hoard idea as a competitive army!! I personally would prefer the Airborne/Isamu combo...Have fun!

H E R O S C A P E
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:13 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

That's probably the one I go with the most, @Scaperedude .

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion