Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I actually thought 4th x4 + Tor-Kul-Na could be pretty interesting. I think TKN is fast enough to catch the Krav, can stomp on Rats and ignore Raelin in the process, and is tough enough to go toe-to-toe with Q9.

The terrain could hurt, though. I haven't examined the maps for GenCon well enough to know just how Stomp-Friendly they are.
I just can't stomach playing TKN without the grubs. So much of his power (and his cost) is in his ability to heal each turn and force your opponent to take him out quickly or get crushed.

4thx4 + Jotun?? OK, this is getting to be crazy-talk.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
I actually thought 4th x4 + Tor-Kul-Na could be pretty interesting. I think TKN is fast enough to catch the Krav, can stomp on Rats and ignore Raelin in the process, and is tough enough to go toe-to-toe with Q9.

The terrain could hurt, though. I haven't examined the maps for GenCon well enough to know just how Stomp-Friendly they are.
I just can't stomach playing TKN without the grubs. So much of his power (and his cost) is in his ability to heal each turn and force your opponent to take him out quickly or get crushed.

4thx4 + Jotun?? OK, this is getting to be crazy-talk.
I mentioned that somehwere else and mused for a little while about how it might actually work - but I doubt it.

I like 5x Mass and Q10 for a suicide mass strategy, or 4x Mass, Q10 and Raelin

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

The 4th certainly have been tough in play-testing.

A few more armies I've been messing with -
Dividers x 7 / Q10
Dividers x 6 / Krav / Laglor
Dividers x 7 / Raelin / Kumiko
Dividers x 6 / Raelin / KA
I have decided that I'm officially a sucker for the Dividers. Thanks Ry...
But I really think you need at least 6 squads to get their full potential.

I also really like Knights x 5 / Gilbert / Eldgrim
It's 25 points short, but the upgrades are sweet!
I'm comfortable against anything with this except rats (and WoA, but since Killercactus isn't coming to Gen Con I'm not worried that anybody will play them). So the question becomes, will the rats be prevalent? Do the PKs knock them out? My gut is no since the repulsors really didn't slow them down last year.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This might have already been pointed out, but Zelrig will probably be absent for most playtested armies at the championship. Only one of the maps at the championship has the classic 24-hex clumping, and that map has a lava field in it.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM

damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
This might have already been pointed out, but Zelrig will probably be absent for most playtested armies at the championship. Only one of the maps at the championship has the classic 24-hex clumping, and that map has a lava field in it.
My first thought was "Wow, Gulp is right." Now, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I'm not so sure about that.

In every map there are places to affect at least 5 figures with Magestic Fires. Even if there were not, Zelrig is fast, flying, and has a ranged special attack, and has above average life and defense. It is just gravy that his special is particularly effective when opposing armies are clumped and full of common squads.

He is a beast that has to be considered for sure, at least for starting zone allocations of armies that are less than 24 hexes.

damja is a Venoc Viper...
in THE SPARKLY CAVE
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
"Invasion" and "Jotun's Gap" both also have a 24-hexer startzone, although on Invasion they are too far apart for an OM-1 bomb. However, that's one of only two maps in the pool (Elswin Plateau being the other) where Zelrig can't OM-1 bomb. And there are several maps where Zelrig can hit a 7-hex area in the startzone from height, and then move and hit a different 7-hex cluster from height.

I don't think this is a bad map set for Zelrig at all!
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
(and WoA, but since Killercactus isn't coming to Gen Con I'm not worried that anybody will play them).
Even I wouldn't be brave enough to play WoA in the Main Event. HoB or Lightweight, maybe, but probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias
So the question becomes, will the rats be prevalent? Do the PKs knock them out? My gut is no since the repulsors really didn't slow them down last year.
I don't think you can compare PK's to Repulsors in that regard. It was a pretty sure thing that no one was going to bring Repulsors on Day 1. I can't say the same thing about PK's, though I don't think they will be enough to keep Rats out of the field.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I don't think you can compare PK's to Repulsors in that regard. It was a pretty sure thing that no one was going to bring Repulsors on Day 1. I can't say the same thing about PK's, though I don't think they will be enough to keep Rats out of the field.
I feel like rats are often guarding things with special attacks anyway, and PK's are less of a concern in that case.
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

I've really just begun fleshing out armies for this thing.

I am a Screw Day 2 Guy for sure; Last year I ran 2xReavers, 5xStingers, K.Awa filling up all of my hexes on Day 1. My philosophy is to worry about getting there first and then deal with reinforcements. I commend those who feel comfortable leaving hexes and points in their pocket, but I am not one of them.

(apologies if either of these is already posted)

3xPKs
5xStingers
24 510
---
Jexik's recent dinging of the Romans has me thinking......

2x10th
Marcus
2xRomans
MBS
AElite
23 510

What do I add for Day 2? I'll worry about that when I get there!

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; May 28th, 2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: .
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post

2x10th
Marcus
2xRomans
MBS
AElite
23 510

I think I can at least give you a plan for this one....

90 - Raelin
110 - Valguard
130 - Mogrimm/SotM Raelin/Kaemon

or something that really helps with the matchup or the metagame, which is why I think I'd be a "screw day 2" guy myself - I don't know what I'm gonna need until I see what I'm up against.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
I've really just begun fleshing out armies for this thing.

I am a Screw Day 2 Guy for sure; Last year I ran 2xReavers, 5xStingers, K.Awa filling up all of my hexes on Day 1. My philosophy is to worry about getting there first and then deal with reinforcements. I commend those who feel comfortable leaving hexes and points in their pocket, but I am not one of them.

(apologies if either of these is already posted)

3xPKs
5xStingers
24 510
---
Jexik's recent dinging of the Romans has me thinking......

2x10th
Marcus
2xRomans
MBS
AElite
23 510

I like the Romans, too. I, of course, cannot bring myself to field th MBS, AE or 10th, but you might go with . . .

150 10th x 2
110 AE
100 Marcus
100 Romans x 2
40 Theracus

or

150 10th x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Romans x 2
80 Raelin
50 MBS or Romans x 1

or

120 Mogrimm
110 AE
100 Marcus or Syvarris or Krav
100 Romans x 2
80 Raelin

140 PKs x 2
110 AE [or Kaemon for 510]
100 Marcus
100 Romans x 2
50 MBS

140 PKs x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus, Syvarrris or Krav [or AE for 510]
100 Romans x 2
40 Theracus [or MBS or Romans x 1 for 510]

For Islandscape (same format), I plan on taking 500 points in the first round, as I like the potential of 100/120/140 over 90/110/130.

Last edited by kolakoski; May 28th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
I like the Romans, too. I, of course, cannot bring myself to field th MBS, AE or 10th, but you might go with . . .
I used AE at GenCon a couple years ago.

I'll never field the AE in a competitive tournament again. Not only do you deal with games where they don't drop until late (if at all). When they do drop, you have to hope for initiative. If you don't get it, then you'll sometimes find yourself in situations where two have been killed in the first turn before you've even activated them.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion