Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 27th, 2017, 06:09 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: The Army Advice and Feedback Thread

A couple armies for review: Criteria is 535pts/24hexes. At least 4 Classes represented at at least 75pts each (with the exception of a few figures).

260 Zettian Infantry x4 (Guards)
390 Deathwalker 8000 (Deathwalker)
480 Warden 816 (Warden)
530 Beorn Boltcutter (Mechanic*)
530pts/15hexes

*Under 75pts and as the only Mechanic in the game, Beorn counts towards one of the Classes.

210 Command Courier x6 (Courier)
320 Laglor (Alphallon)
430 Evar Scarcarver (Frostrager)
520 Rygarn (Chromo-Mage)
530 Otonashi (Ninja*)
530pts/10hexes

*Doesn't count towards Class count as Ninja's only represent 10pts of the Army.
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
260 Zettian Infantry x4 (Guards)
390 Deathwalker 8000 (Deathwalker)
480 Warden 816 (Warden)
530 Beorn Boltcutter (Mechanic*)
530pts/15hexes
This looks like a pretty decent Deathborg build. It has a fair stock of Zettian Infantry, and a couple of 'borg heroes for them. Beorn does his upgrade thing, and he can be helpful in cleanup. While the army lacks much in the way of raw attack power, it makes up for with a good bit of synergy. Like many other Deathborg builds, this army is quite matchup dependent. In a different format like Class Act, bad matchups might be less likely.

Quote:
210 Command Courier x6 (Courier)
320 Laglor (Alphallon)
430 Evar Scarcarver (Frostrager)
520 Rygarn (Chromo-Mage)
530 Otonashi (Ninja*)
530pts/10hexes
A Command Courier build sounds tempting, but I fear this army doesn't get enough attacks in a turn. Sure, you basically can throw OM's to the wayside with this build, and each turn you do take will feature one good attack (or maybe a bunch of little ones with Autoload). Class Act might reduce the ability to spam squads, but this build really does need a way to get attacks out. If nothing else, this army looks like a pain to kill.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 04:40 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
160 SBN
430 Marrden Hounds x3
480 Marro Warriors
480pts/24hexes

If you couldn't swap any of the figures, would you add Marcu and drop a Warrior (that would mean the Warrior couldn't be Cloned right?) or just leave it the way it is?
I would sooner drop a hound than a Marro Warrior. Its a good idea to throw Marcu into this army so that you can make the decision of what to drop based on the map.
Thinking of this army again... When do you do decide what to drop? When placing, I'm guessing?

So pretty standard order of operations would be:

Map
Random Glyph Reveal
Placing/Dropping Figures
Start of game/round powers
Initiative
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:01 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Im pretty sure you have to drop before start of game powers. I generally drop when I see my foe or know ahead of time.

I’d a hound or Marcu in that army. If I know the map is a Wannok map, Marcu has to stay in though.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Im pretty sure you have to drop before start of game powers. I generally drop when I see my foe or know ahead of time.

I’d a hound or Marcu in that army. If I know the map is a Wannok map, Marcu has to stay in though.
That's why I was asking. Random Power Glyphs are typically revealed before Armies are placed. So assuming you drop whenever you place, you'd be able to tell if the map has Wannok or not. If you have to drop before you reveal random glyphs, unless Wannok is already on the map, you'd have no way of knowing until it's too late. Adding a step for Bring-2 tournies, this...

Map
Pick Armies (if necessary)
Random Glyph Reveal
Place/Drop Figures
Initiative

...seems more legitimate this:

Map
Pick Armies (if necessary)
Drop Figures
Random Glyph Reveal
Place Figures
Initiative
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM
I could go

Well some maps have Wannok preset, so if I see I’m playing on a map like that, there might not be a glyph reveal.

Also, Marcu will probably stay in if Wannok is in the pool anyway (unless it’s a larger than normal pool).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

You're right. You don't "drop" figures, really. It's more that there's a placing limit. So you place, and then whoever doesn't get placed is "dropped".
Old June 23rd, 2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
You're right. You don't "drop" figures, really. It's more that there's a placing limit. So you place, and then whoever doesn't get placed is "dropped".
Makes sense...

...until you think of the Airborne or Rechets.

Last edited by Sheep; June 23rd, 2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: It's a tricky rule to cover all bases. I know the Online tournies used words like "the AE and Rechets count towards placing"
Old June 23rd, 2018, 11:03 AM
I could go

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Makes sense...

...until you think of the Airborne or Rechets.
AE are dropped, Rechets are summomed.

Also, surprisingly, those do go against your space limits! Not sure how much I like that ruling, but it is what it is. Lol.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 23rd, 2018, 11:10 AM

Yeah it's basically something like:

During placement, you may place up to XX hexes/figures*. Any figures not placed are set aside and cannot be used for the entirety of the game.

*Figures that start the game off of the battlefield (e.g. Airborne Elite, Rechets of Bogdan, etc.) count towards these limits.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:43 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
*Figures that start the game off of the battlefield (e.g. Airborne Elite, Rechets of Bogdan, etc.) count towards these limits.
Whoa, is this really the case? I always thought that the Airborne Elite and Retchets were essentially "free" placements that didn't take up space in your starting zone. That changes things quite a bit.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:45 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Whoa, is this really the case? I always thought that the Airborne Elite and Retchets were essentially "free" placements that didn't take up space in your starting zone. That changes things quite a bit.
Yessiree it is. I’m sure the ruling is floating around the site somewhere. It may have even mentioned in the FAQ’s.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion