Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy Winfred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Do you have a tutorial on how to "Mod" this figure?
I'm waiting for an extra Ne-Gok-Sa figure, and then I'm going to post it as I make a second copy. It requires three of the Marro Warriors (the one with the gun pointing up used as the base, the other two use the guns and heads), and Ne-Gok-Sa, using his feet, head and arm guard, then the blade as the bayonet.
My concern(just as someone who places VC figures), is that the required modding has a chance that someone could slip-up and injure themselves with. If I saw a tutorial, maybe that concern would go away.

I have Rachiem and I fixed his wings, that wasn't too hard, and didn't require me to cut anything.
I can keep that in mind when making the guide, but there is only one cut that requires anything more than a clean cut (cutting the gun off of the second marro warrior) so it shouldn't be that tough. The glue work is very basic, and almost all the the bindings are intentionally placed so they are difficult to see, so any mistakes are difficult to see.
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun

Have to admit I'm intrigued by the prospect of a new Marro that looks fully Marro. I'd love to see the modding tutorial.

While I really respect the constraints that United Fanscape has in place to ensure quality, there's also an argument to be made that nothing is perfect and exceptions can sometimes be good things, if the benefits are there. I love the fact that there's always an effort to ensure availability/affordability of figures. But, in spite of those efforts sometimes by the time a unit eventually gets released the source figure is far more expensive than was anticipated. (There are VCs I don't own for this reason.) From my perspective, a unit that requires hacking up a few RotV figures is about ten times more desirable than one that costs me $20 or more plus shipping to obtain. I totally get that some players aren't wild about modding, but there are also some of us who aren't wild about paying the equivalent of a whole booster (or even a large-figure expansion) to obtain one hero ... yet that's where we find ourselves if we want certain units.

Regardless, I'd like to see the modding notes. This is probably a figure I'd add to my play set if the gameplay is good. The elegant boost for the Drudge and Groks is certainly welcome.

EDIT: Cutting my other comments and taking them to @Smithy 's customs thread.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:25 AM

bellahdoll knows what's in an order marker bellahdoll knows what's in an order marker

Modders here don't seem to realize how much of a problem it is for a lot of people. For me, having to use a knife and a hot gun will never be easier than spending a little money. Remember, having money, while certainly a major obstacle, is not a skill, and money has always been one of the few requirements to own Heroscape anyway. Heroscape was a simple, elegant game that required no assembly or painting of its miniatures- one of its main selling points over similar games. How many painting/assembling miniatures games have I passed on because they required those skills? Every single one of them. Asking people to obtain a new skill involving a knife and a hot glue gun to play a game marked ages 8 and up is a huge mistake. Remember, even if its a poor job, many an 8 year old can certainly repaint Tyrian (or put a sticker on a Protector, like I did). Just keep the knives and guns away from them- and away from me.
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellahdoll View Post
Modders here don't seem to realize how much of a problem it is for a lot of people. For me, having to use a knife and a hot gun will never be easier than spending a little money. Remember, having money, while certainly a major obstacle, is not a skill, and money has always been one of the few requirements to own Heroscape anyway. Heroscape was a simple, elegant game that required no assembly or painting of its miniatures- one of its main selling points over similar games. How many painting/assembling miniatures games have I passed on because they required those skills? Every single one of them. Asking people to obtain a new skill involving a knife and a hot glue gun to play a game marked ages 8 and up is a huge mistake. Remember, even if its a poor job, many an 8 year old can certainly repaint Tyrian (or put a sticker on a Protector, like I did). Just keep the knives and guns away from them- and away from me.
Well, I mean, some VC needs to be rebased; in those cases, a hot glue gun, and sometimes an exacto knife, are required. So it's not like you need any new skills, you just need to apply them a little differently. As long as the tutorial is clear, I don't personally see any problem with minor modding. It is also a lot better to recycle master set dupes rather than have to buy new minis- especially in the case of the marro. It is rather hard to find a good marro unit from another game, and is one of, if not the, signature species of HeroScape.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

As far as customs go, MOD away. I have done so, and even used Modded figures in place of SoV figures (my Tyran is female).

As far as SoV goes, it is best to remember the intent. To find acceptable mini's and create customs that fit seemlessly into classic scape. I'm only a spectator in the design part and customer in the end, but Modding does not feel like it fits the intent. Now if there was a Mod of Vallahalla (MoV) then a Modded Marro makes sense.

That said are more Marro really needed? Sure they are signature, but with all the other unexplored avenues we could go down, is treking back to the Marro well the best option?

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellahdoll View Post
Before a month ago I would have been firmly in your camp, I hated most miniature games because they required so much work and tedious time wasted before you can even think about playing the game. On a crafting skill level, from one to ten, I'd rate myself at a solid 3, I am awful with my hands. So I hope you will take that into account when I say: This mod is really easy. I pray that you withhold judgement until you actually see the finished product, and can see how easy it is.

In regards to Wriggz comment, I agree that modding is a dangerous path, but I do believe Marro would be the only possible exception, since they are basically the only original theme in all of Heroscape (sure they take inspiration from a lot of other alien races in fantasy and sci-fi, but at their core, they remain a fairly original idea) and it seems a shame to sideline them just because there is no longer any official figures. And sure, there have been some great C3V units that bear huge resemblance to Marro (Havechs, Gnids) but they still look like something else pretending to be Marro. I'm not proposing that we make all sorts of new Marro modded figures, what I'm suggesting is one figure. One figure who really helps out the most underplayed units in the game, while contributing a lot of his own theme, the only downside is that he has to be modded, but the bright side is, you probably already have the figures, and if not, you can get them for 1.50$ from any seller on heroscapers.
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
That said are more Marro really needed? Sure they are signature, but with all the other unexplored avenues we could go down, is treking back to the Marro well the best option?
Well, seeing as how Marro are pretty much Heroscape-exclusive, I say we could always use more of them.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old July 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm looking for a fast turn around on Viceron and have been running him through tons of tests. This is what I'm closing in on:

He won't be an elite unit, especially since he primarily bonds with a B- squad, but he falls into an opening in their bonding options and gives them something unique and powerful. He has some pretty high variance (the nature of the game and his powers) but I'm feeling pretty comfortable for where he is here. He does synergize with the Knights of Blackgaard but its a tough sell in my opinion to take him over another squad of knights most of the time (maybe if you really need some special attacks).

Spoiler Alert!
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I'm looking for a fast turn around on Viceron and have been running him through tons of tests. This is what I'm closing in on:

He won't be an elite unit, especially since he primarily bonds with a B- squad, but he falls into an opening in their bonding options and gives them something unique and powerful. He has some pretty high variance (the nature of the game and his powers) but I'm feeling pretty comfortable for where he is here. He does synergize with the Knights of Blackgaard but its a tough sell in my opinion to take him over another squad of knights most of the time (maybe if you really need some special attacks).

Spoiler Alert!
I'm a big fan of the changes to Viceron, I really like the Death Knights, but their current bonding options are not only not very thematic, but very limited. Viceron is a nice option that functionally covers some bases that the Death Knights don't excel in, and also gives them an AoE special attack, all while looking very cool standing next to them.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post

Spoiler Alert!
I would be a little concerned about the theme of a 5 life, 5 defense Human. Only Kantono Daishi, Kumiko and the Samurai Squads have that level of defense, No other Knight/Champion comes close. It is also a bit of a smallish figure that doesn't scream heavily armored.

I think the Relentless is a great addition as is the extra life.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:49 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like to see his armor as a magical suit that has been enchanted by all sorts of dark forces across the ages. I felt it worked when he had 4 life but I must admit 5 life is giving me a little pause in this capacity. I could possibly bump his life to 6 and his defense to 4 but that would be a more significant change. I'm ultimately okay with keeping him as shown although I am curious to hear other opinions on him.

An additional thematic motivation could be his great skill as a warrior, like the samurai. His story is that he has been around for ages through his unnatural blood magic.
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'd rather see him with 4 Defense and increased life, as it opens up his options a tad more. Though Bloodstorm might become too potent then. Maybe that would need to take two life.

Regardless, the current version works for me too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards