Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I'm famously low tech, but due to the Pandemic, I've just gotten Zoom, Steam, Table Top Simulator, Discord and Slack! Our old Wednesday night gang is now playing online. So although I'm not into videogames, I'm looking forward to playing online Board Games.

So far I've played three simple card games online to learn how to manipulate the basic controls:

Port Royal x1

Res Arcana x2

Socializing online with local pals is better than no socializing at all!

I also have two friends who do come over once a month or so each for a one on one, as in my big apartment, with only two people here we can just about social distance the whole time. I've been playing Commands & Colors Tricorne: American Revolution and C&C Napoleonics/Prussian Expansion. Also Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare (C&C In Space). This Saturday a compadre is coming over for a new fan made Red Alert Campaign game (there is no official one out yet) based on the WWII Pacific 1943 carrier battles. Looks to be great fun, and I just expanded my fleets with a couple of new Carriers! Its fate! I have posted up my own rules for a supergiant two mat (the mats are gigantic) "Galaxy Game" again, nothing official out on this yet), and my buddy has or will be posting his custom two mat scenario.

An eleventh C&C game is coming out in August--Jacobite Rising. Most of them have multiple expansions of their own. For anyone interested in a rundown on the entire series, my thread about it is here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...s-richard-borg
Old July 26th, 2020, 04:06 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

A pal was over yesterday from 12:30 PM to 7:30 PM. We played four games of Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare. This included the entire new Pacifica Campaign posted up on BGG by a fan, which does a simple version of the historicalWWII 1942 Carrier Battles In the Pacific including Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons, and Santa Cruz. This is very well done, and includes Historical Notes, Design Notes, and simple Campaign Rules.

This was possible to finish in one long session, also including a lunch and short breaks because each game is limited in its number of turns. Which means you have to plan your moves ahead of time a turn or two ahead as much as possible. Its a lot of fun. I played the US side and won all four battles, with a little skill and a lot of luck. Next month we'll do it again and switch sides. I'll be doing a report out on BGG with some more details, questions, and suggestions.

This is the first campaign made for this Commands & Colors series game by Richard Borg. I had recently purchased a third carrier for each side and asked about anyone who had experience running multiple carrier units ("Carrier Group Operations?). They very next day this campaign was posted up! Each scenario is different and uses many of the advanced rules such as Carriers, Space Platforms, and even the Space Rift. But substitutes are suggested if you don't own all of these.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 04:26 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Just got back from Ken Con 2.0. Had a great time playing games with @lonewolf , @Raider30 , @EternalThanos86 , @JUSTchris , and many others.

Games I played over the weekend:
Legendary Encounters: Aliens
Time of Legends: Joan of Arc x 2
LotR LCG x 5
Marvel Champions x 2
Street Masters x 2
Myth x 3
Star Wars Destiny x 4
Heroscape x 10
Ghost Stories
Hexplore it
Too Many Bones x 2
Zombicide: Green Horde

Games that I know were played by others:
Pathfinder RPG
DnD RPG
Wingspan
Terraforming Mars
Dark Souls
Speed Painting Contest

I hope everyone else had the opportunity to play games with others over Gen Con weekend.

Weekend gaming highlights: Runa got a mitonsoul off on Brandis. Greater Ice Elemental ice spiked a wolf of badru after it pounced and killed a Blastatron that was adjacent to the elemental. We beat Ghost Stories first try.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 2nd, 2020 at 07:30 PM. Reason: And lots of mom jokes
Old August 2nd, 2020, 09:35 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Nice! I've read so much about how hard Ghost Stories is. I bet you really liked that game, too, knowing your personality.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dysole; August 5th, 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old August 6th, 2020, 06:54 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Yesterday we played Aftermath, a great Plaid Hat Games design by our very own Jerry Hawthorne (aka @Grungebob ). We had a rules question and I asked Jerry on FaceBook and he got back to me with the answer in minutes. A great game that will definitely make it to the table again.

Old August 6th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Yesterday we played Aftermath, a great Plaid Hat Games design by our very own Jerry Hawthorne (aka @Grungebob ). We had a rules question and I asked Jerry on FaceBook and he got back to me with the answer in minutes. A great game that will definitely make it to the table again.
I was summoned? Lol!

Thank you sir for the compliment! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

I’m currently very much into dungeon crawl adventure games and I’m of course working on a new narrative adventure game.

Years ago I worked on a Heroscape mod we used to call Realm of Champions. It was supposed to be a narrative experience that linked Heroscape skirmishes using the MOPS. That idea was somewhat morphed into the D&D Heroscape, but it always felt like a home brew variant to me. But it was good training for writing my own games.

I will hopefully be playing Sleeping Gods this weekend.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 8th, 2020, 10:08 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The whole pandemic thing distracted me and made me lose track of the site for awhile, so I’m behind in talking about the games I’ve played. I’ve played a lot of solo stuff over the last few months because, you know, pandemic, but my family and I have also played a decent amount. Here’s some highlights:

Solo:

At the Gates of Loyang - I’ve had this game for years and never broke it out, but it is an excellent resource conversion euro that plays quickly and feels heavier than it is.

Lord of the Rings: LCG - I’ve taken advantage of the some downtime to pick this game back up after taking a few years off. I’ve played it about 15 times over the last three months. Still a great solo game.

The Castle of Burgundy. The Dice Game - my go-to solo when I have twenty minutes to kill. I’ve played this one over 20 times in the last few months. A neat little puzzly dice game.

Spirit Island - probably my favorite deep solo game.

As the biggest bonus during all this chaos, my wife, two kids, and I started some campaign games, in addition to getting in multiple plays of Betrayal at House on the Hill (one of my son’s favorites), Blue Lagoon (one of my new favorites - a great low-complexity, highly interactive, medium-weight strategy Knizia game), and Raiders of the North Sea.

We played a complete Charterstone campaign (I thought it was ok, but it got a little boring 2/3 of the way through), followed by the Shadow Rune Campaign for Descent, second edition. We are currently 3/4 of the way through the Labyrinth of Ruin campaign for Descent and having a great time.
Old August 8th, 2020, 11:24 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

We played Cytosis, The Grimm Masquerade (played twice) and 7 Wonders: Duel. Tomorrow we're playing Above and Below, Aftermath (at you, @Grungebob !) and Forgotten Waters.

Old August 10th, 2020, 03:02 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Last week in lieu of Gencon,Unseen Shadowz, I.S.B.3, Major Q23 and I attended a mini con at our cousin/Major Q23's brothers house.

Stockpile: I've played it many times. It's a solid game for what it is, but not my favorite. It's light and random, so I'm not really motivated to put in the deduction and memory effort this game calls for. I'm historically terrible, but I finally got a win.
Tragedy Looper: It's been years since I last played. It's a very unique and interesting game. It's one of the most stressful brain burners I've come across. We got a rule wrong and the second loop that completely nullified everything we'd worked for.
Brass Birmingham new to me: It's very tight, and punishing, but I like those aspects in games. I can see why it's so highly regarded. I want to play it again, so I can decided it I want it in my collection.
Dune New to me: Ended up sharing the victory. You can tell it's a old school design, but again that's something I enjoy. It's very player driving, with asymmetric powers and lots of randomness. It's hard to get to the table, so I won't go in my collection, but I want to play again.
Shogun New to me: Relative to its weight and time, it has one of the highest fun factor I've ever played. The cube tower delivered as advertised. It's my favorite combat resolution mechanism I've come across.
Terraforming Mars new to me: Tableau Building by drawing off a giant deck of cards isn't my thing. It felt like the prelude cards I got at the beginning of the game shoe horned me into a narrow strategy. It was still enjoyable, but not my style of game.
El Grande: It's a top ten game for me, and it delivered as usual.
Great Western Trail new to me: We messed up a rule, which greatly changed the game. I was still impressed, and would like to try it again.
Bang new to me: It serves a specific niche and does it better then I though.
Liars Dice: Same as Bang, only I had played it before.
Pitch Car: Dexterity games aren't my thing, but it's nice to bust out ever once in a while.
Food Chain Magnate new to me: The game of the con. No game has left me so impressed after one play. The opening is compelling and deep, while the the board play is brutal, tactical and enthralling. There's so much to explore. I called 20 games stores, some more then an hour away, looking to buy it. Sadly everywhere was sold out. Heroscape was the only game I ever felt compelled to stand up while playing because I was so engaged. FCM joined that exclusive club.

My gaming is usually sporadic, and to a minimum, but yesterday I got in another great day of gaming.

The Crew: I see the appeal, and should enjoy it more then I do. As it stand I'm pretty lukewarm on it.
Imperial new to me: I finally got Imperial to the table, with all first time players. I had very high hopes and it delivered. It's not on FCM level, but it's one of the most impressed I've been with a game after one play. I'm a huge fan of games with perfect/near perfect information, little or no luck and dynamic player drive board play. It was one of the more immersive games I've played.
Quacks: Push your luck games don't do a lot for me, but Quacks is still enjoyable if I'm in the mood.
Modern Art: It in contention as my number one game not named Heroscape. The meta is completely player driven, and the group think aspect is fascinating.
Spirit Island: I'm not a huge fan of co-ops, but man this game is good. It could sneak into my top ten. We beat level two of Prussia. I played as the Ocean Spirit.
Old August 10th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Above and Below and Gloom of Kilforth. I won Above and Below. Liz's ten-year-old daughter was savvy enough to understand the rules of the game; I would definitely recommend it as a family game. Gloom was co-op. We only needed two more wounds on the big bad guy to win but he beat us. Great game - too bad it took five hours to play!

Edit: We played Gloom of Kilforth with the stand-alone/expansion Shadow of Kilforth. I don't know how the game would play differently with just the base game, or just the expansion.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; August 10th, 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 10th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Big Trouble in Little China 3-D custom board! Awesome!

Old August 18th, 2020, 01:14 AM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

My girlfriend and I recently got the expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies and we are in love with it. Also have been playing a lot of MTG and Funkoverse with Gloomhaven in the mail.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games