Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker
Sex themes in STAR WARS thread

Yesterday all the discussion in the StarwarsScape thread made me stop and think. I said to myself, "Man, we have some StarWars lovin' fools on this site, myself included." I suppose that geekdom and Starwars go hand-in-hand. Long before I was a mini-war game geek, I was a StarWars geek, and damn proud of it.

So...I says to myself, "There should be a thread where all the StarWars fans here at HScapers can get together and talk about everything StarWars geeks talk about in real life." Any and all StarWars related topics are welcome, from the movies to the novels,games, etc. My plan is that this thread could be epic.

So, to get us started I thought I would pose ?'s and answers to some of my favorite questions Starwars geeks always talk about.
1. What is the best movie of all six episodes?
2. If you could be a Jedi or a Sith which would you choose? (be honest with your self here)
3. What is the best StarWars novel?
4. Which is the greatest of the LucasArts game?
5. What is the weakest part within all six episodes? (could be a character,actor,plot line, etc.)

Hopefully people's answers will include reason's or debates against other's choices, but just to get the ball a-rollin':
1.Strikes Back
2.Sith (I wish it weren't true)
3.Shadows of the Empire/Tales of the Bounty Hunters
4.Tie Fighter/Jedi Knight (PC)
5.the dude that plays Anakin(epidsodes 2&3)

COME StarWars fans and let us discuss any topic you can suggest, probably you can come up with better topics that me...
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well my name is markwars....

In May of 1977 my parents were both college students and I was four and a half years-old. We all went to the debut at a tiny theater in Norman, Oklahoma (where we lived) and missed all of the blocks long lines that so many reported. My mother said it was the first movie that I didn't ask to go the bathroom, I didn't ask for anything to eat or drink, I just sat and stared with my mouth wide open. :P My dad wasn't working that summer so instead he and I walked to the theater EVERY SINGLE DAY to catch the matinée. By the end of the summer I had seen the movie almost one hundred times. My father and I still to this day can't get enough of A New Hope.

In March of 1978 we went to a Walgreens and I saw my first Star Wars figure display. My dad said he would buy me one figure each week if I kept up my chores. That first time I chose Darth Vader. Twelve weeks later I had the full set (at that time) when I picked up Princess Leia.

Over the next two years I lived and breathed Star Wars at home, on the playgrounds at school, and even in my dreams at night. Then May of 1980 came along and The Empire Strikes Back blew my seven year-old mind all over again. There were tons of new characters, new toys, new everything to steep yourself in Star Wars 24/7. It was an amazing time. Especially when we got cable and HBO would actually show A New Hope.

For three years I collected every action figure I could get. I scoured the stores for playsets and vehicles. I couldn't get enough. And then when I was ten the whole thing crescendoed with Return of the Jedi. Life was indeed sweet. And from that point until I entered college I kept collecting figures and toys of all sorts - but the novels and comics really kept me going.

Fast forward to 1995. Hasbro relaunched the action figure line and I got hooked again. Then in 1997 Lucas released the Special Editions. Of course I waited in lines for days before each release (my poor wife by my side). And then in 1999 it was time to relive the entire experience all over again with the first of three movies.

Say what you will fellow fanboys, but I love the fact that Lucas gave us three more. Sure they weren't everything we expected, but nothing could have lived up to the hype. Episode 1 wasn't really good until Episode 2 more fully explained it. And all was forgiven when I completed the circle and took my five year-old son to see Episode 3 when it debuted. With him being my age when I first saw Episode 4 it just seemed perfect.

Now my son has a room full of action figures, mini ships, Legos, and Star Wars posters. The movies get regular play in our house still today. They are benchmarks in our lives. So many emotions and memories are built around these six movies that it astounds me. So I say huzzah for a Star Wars thread!

To answer the questions presented....

1. Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back is the best in my opinion. Irvin Kershner's direction was superb. The dark middle act was just perfection.

2. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

3. "Heir to the Empire"

4. Lego Star Wars II

5. Tie between Jar Jar and Ewoks
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well, I'm not a huge Star Wars nut like others here, but I really enjoy the movies and some of the games are really good. If you were to rate on a 1-10, with 1 being completely ignorant of anything Star Wars, and 10 still wearing Star Wars underwear, than I would probably put my self at a 6, maybe a 7. That said, if there ever was a Star Wars Scape, I would be delighted.

Here are my answers:

1. I liked Return of the Jedi the most. Han has awesome lines in that movie.
2. I would probably be a Sith. They are bad@ss. I mean look at Luke. He's a Space Hick.
3. Never read a Star Wars novel.
4. Best Lucas Arts game for me are probably Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Republic Commando was pretty good. It had really good music.
5. Weakest part? I don't really know. C3PO annoyed me.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker
Markwars I new that I could count on you to be the first to post in this thread. Your response was a little inspiring too. I agree with most all of your answers even if they were different from mine. And I have noticed before that most all TRUE SW fans say "Empire Strikes Back" is the best of all. And also, I, like you, was not disappointed in the new trilogy, personally I think the most disappointing of all the movies was Episode 2, though.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
4. Lego Star Wars II
This is funny, but, it really is a great StarWars game. I honestly didn't even think about this one, but you are right.

I was trying to think of some of the older games. I know when the first Jedi Knight game came out on PC, it was the greatest thing ever. Now of course there are tons of nextgen SW games but some of the original are still the best, solely because of how great they were when they first came out. Before Jedi Knight there was never a game like that, where you could BE a Jedi.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormus
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
4. Lego Star Wars II
This is funny, but, it really is a great StarWars game. I honestly didn't even think about this one, but you are right.

I was trying to think of some of the older games. I know when the first Jedi Knight game came out on PC, it was the greatest thing ever. Now of course there are tons of nextgen SW games but some of the original are still the best, solely because of how great they were when they first came out. Before Jedi Knight there was never a game like that, where you could BE a Jedi.
There are a TON of great games out there. The old Super Nintendo had awesome games for each of the three original films. Tie Fighter on the PC was superb. The recent Rogue Squadron releases are great. Shadows of the Empire for the N64 was top notch. But none of them compare to those clunkly lil legos. Many folks never gave the Lego games a chance, but they are probably the truest of all of the Star Wars game to the actual movies. The follow the story lines pretty much from start to finish and they are even better because you can play them with your kids.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Re: The STAR WARS thread

Quote:
Episodes 1-3 are at best average, at worst poor. Ep 6 is also average, though it scores a few extra points for finishing the series off properly. Episode 5 - Empire - is good, but filmed back-to-front (it STARTS with the climactic battle. Daft).

For me, the best of the saga - by a very long margin - is Star Wars (Episode 4, A New Hope, whatever they're calling it these days).

It's got everything - Alec Guiness, an archetypal villain, Han shooting first, spaceships, explosions, everything. It's probably my favourite film of all time.

The best bit - and probably the best bit ever captured on celluloid - is near the start of the film, as Luke looks out onto a Tatooine sunset.

Quote:
2. If you could be a Jedi or a Sith which would you choose? (be honest with your self here)
I'm a jedi. Officially. In the most recent nationwide census here in the UK, everyone had to put down a religion. THere was something of an underground movement at the time to get this question devalued by having as many people register as "jedi" as possible. So I'm officially a jedi. Now stop trying to tempt me with the dark side.
Quote:

I read the first couple of trilogies in the late 80's/early 90s, when the universe started the official expansion. Pretty quickly I decided that I didn't want to keep up with them. I'm not some sort of fanboy.

Quote:
X-wing versus TIE Fighter on teh PC was pretty accomplished, but I actually preferred the two prequels; called X-Wing and TIE Fighter IIRC.
Quote:

5. What is the weakest part within all six episodes? (could be a character,actor,plot line, etc.)
Jar Jar Binks. With teddy bears as a close second. And pod racing third (I'm sure that whole sequence was added just to sell video games).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
One more thing - OY, LUCAS! WHEN ARE WE GETTING EPISODES 1 TO 3 IN A DVD BOXED SET?

There - I thought that was worth shouting for. I am *not* buying everything again on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, and I'm not interested in waiting another 3-5 years until Uncle George thinks that I will. Eps 1, 2 and 3 are all available on DVD - why not give us a boxed set to match the 2004 DVD release of 4, 5 and 6?

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Not just 1-3. I want a big boxed set with all 6 including bonus discs with the pre-special-edition versions of 4-6.

The Empire Strikes Back

I'd have to go with Luke, the last of the Jedi.

I haven't read any.

Tie Fighter

Midichlorians, the pod racing scene (imagine if Ep. IV had 45 minutes of Luke shooting womp rats while racing his T-16 through Beggar's Canyon), and the completely non-threatening nature of the droids (until Ep. IV the comic relief had rightly been confined to the good guys)
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM

I am glad to see that many agree with me that Tie Fighter is a one of the greatest games. It was the first I can remember where you could be an Imperial~catering to my evil nature

And Markwars, I totally forgot about the SNES games. Man, those were great games! In the final boss stage of Bespin when the screen is all black at the start... and then the aqua lung SFX kick in. It was awesome!

And so far I think my theory that all true SW fans think Empire Strikes Back is the best, has held true.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
This is one of those "I know I shouldn't do this" threads, but...

Empire Strikes Back. Really a cut above for both cinematics and storytelling. None of the other films have stuck with me in the same way. I still have a thrill run through me when I contemplate Yoda's "no, there is another".

2. If you could be a Jedi or a Sith which would you choose?
Jedi. Yes, I want to save the cheerleader, save the world (sorry, couldn't help myself).

I'm picking the Thrawn trilogy. Talk about an amazing "villain"!

I'm really tied here - X-Wing was simply incredible - generations ahead of its time. On the other hand, Lego Star Wars II has consumed much of my father/son gaming time over the last six months. I'm gonna pick X-Wing for the nostalgia I guess.

5. What is the weakest part within all six episodes?
The teddy bear picnic from the original three. The prequels were just so poor in general that it's difficult to pick a particular weakness.

~Aldin, who thought the X-Wing novels were very fun reads

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!
Return of the Jedi.

2. If you could be a Jedi or a Sith which would you choose?
Sith. Its easier to think of myself before others...

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Graphic Novel-Dark Empire II

KotoR I & II
Beat each one as a Dark/Light/Gray, Male/Female, and Love intrests. Loved playing as Sith and CRUSHING the Jedi Order beneath my heal.

5. What is the weakest part within all six episodes?
Giving Ep 1-3 better everything than 4-6. Damn its a PreQuel, make everything look crapy?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media