Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 6th, 2018, 03:32 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Curry_Noodles's Customs Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry_Noodles View Post
I'm not sure honestly ahaha It looks the same as when you last commented - is there somewhere that shows what its supposed to look like?
If you quote my post where I put the image, you can copy and paste that code. Basically you need the part you have in [url] tags to be in [img] tags.

customs/maps/c3v/sov/card tutorial/sell list

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old November 6th, 2018, 06:32 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

If you copy and paste these into the OP, your cards should show up:

Wilbin Goodbody: [IMG]https://image.ibb.co/mumqcq/Screen-Shot-2018-11-06-at-12-07-00-PM.png[/IMG]
Gunnvaldr: [IMG]https://image.ibb.co/jqQvtV/Screen-Shot-2018-11-06-at-12-06-19-PM.png[/IMG]
Zefra Wildforest: [IMG]https://image.ibb.co/nxSK3V/Screen-Shot-2018-11-06-at-12-07-12-PM.png[/IMG]

I've disabled the code from working in this post, but if you copy and paste it into your post the images should show up.

Old November 6th, 2018, 06:35 PM

Curry_Noodles is surprisingly tart

Thank you for your help @superfrog !
Old November 7th, 2018, 04:58 PM

Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Astroking112 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I looked up what Imp was when creating the character - I could easily make him a rouge, however I wanted him to be mischievous, "trickster" type of character so rather than make him a rouge I just wanted to make him kind of like this little runt troublemaker figure
Ah, I was unaware that Imp also functions as a class. I'd still personally prefer something else like Thief, Trickster, or Troublemaker for the class because Imp is probably always going to be tied to a species in my mind.

Quote:

Gunnvaldr (Figure is from D&D: Icons of the Realms - Epic Level Starter Set , Human Barbarian)

Notes: My first impression was to somehow get this figure to play with the Tarn Vikings - Both are these wild barbarian/warrior types and I felt that Gunnvaldr would make a great leader. As I brainstormed, I started to think more broadly and I wanted to make a character bond thematically - so I decided to create/brainstorm a bonding similar to that of the Gladiators and Discipline Armies. I wanted a bonding that could move figures but not take turns with them as I felt that would make him too powerful so I decided to go with an ability that would lead his forces into battle with him, and for the sake of seasoning I made it semi obvious who I wanted to be the primary benefactor of Gunnvaldr's ability (the Tarns!) AS for his other ability Helm Splitter, I knew I wanted him to be a strong and tough leader so I felt giving him a unique buff of sorts that it would only benefit his character. However, after many play tests this past weekend I fear that his base attack stat may be too high but Helm Splitter can become very abusable and game breaking in many common circumstances. Also with such a power and a cost of 140, it seems like a no brainer. A cheap strong hero that can bond and kill anything? I think for the most part this character has a pretty distinct direction and now its just fine tuning how powerful he is going to be!
I was going to say that Gunnvaldr felt a little strong for his points given all of the buffs, but I think that the main reason is his attack, as you mentioned. Being able to go up to 7 attack (8 with height) for 140 points is a bargain, albeit not completely unprecedented when you look at official characters like Eltahale.

I'd suggest bringing down his base attack to 5, but keeping Helm Splitter. The power is pretty evocative of winding up a giant swing with that hammer, and it distinguishes him more from Valguard who benefits from moving to attack.

I'm not sure how I feel about the reuse of Berserker Charge Enhancement. We've seen multiple enhancement powers overlap before, but I'm not aware of any specific D20 enhancement power being reused on another sculpt. Combined with Wild War Cry, I'm not sure that the extra movement-enhancing ability is necessary.

Speaking of Wild War Cry, I really like the concept, and we haven't seen specific-number Order Marker powers outside of Ornak, which makes it feel unique. The wording does feel a little bit off, though that's a minor quibble. I'm slightly surprised that you called out 5 spaces, since the Tarn Viking Warriors have a move of 4. Calling out a Squad or Hero for a movement bonding ability also feels a little weird to me.

Here's a quick suggestion for alternate wording for the ability:
Quote:
After revealing Order Marker 1 on Gunnvaldr and taking that turn with Gunnvaldr, you may take a turn with one Wild Squad or Hero that you control. During this turn, the chosen Squad or Hero may not attack and all of its special powers are negated.
This fixes the movement inconsistency between different Wild figures and avoids potential problems with abilities on the chosen cards. I don't believe that this has been done in classic HeroScape, though, so I could be off base here.

Also, as a quick aside, I saw that you mentioned a potential interest in C3V/SoV customs in your OP. If you decide that you want to go that route for this design, you'll want to keep C3V's Dreadgul Raiders in mind, since they would bond with Gunnvaldr.

Proud Member of Platyfly!
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:06 PM
This is merely a joke.

Now that you've got the image posting part down, I'll give some feedback on the actual designs (because I can tell that you've put a lot of thought and care into these):

Wilbin Goodbody:

If I were you, I'd give Illusion Wilbin Goodbody his own card. Drop regular Wilbin down to 35 points and make his Illusion 10 points.

Then you'd have something like:
Quote:
SLY ILLUSION
Wilbin Goodbody starts the game with 3 Illusion Markers on his Army Card. Before taking a turn with Wilbin Goodbody, if Illusion Wilbin Goodbody is not on the board, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, remove an Illusion Marker from this card and place Illusion Wilbin Goodbody adjacent to Wilbin Goodbody. After taking a turn with Wilbin Goodbody, you may take a turn with Illusion Wilbin Goodbody. Figures adjacent to both Wilbin Goodbody and Illusion William Goodbody subtract 2 from their defense.
and Illusion Wilbin Goodbody would have:

Quote:
JUST AN ILLUSION (dumb name, but I came up with it on the spot)
Illusion Wilbin Goodbody does not start the game on the Battlefield. He must be placed on the battlefield by Wilbin Goodbody.
That's not 100% identical to what you have mechanically, but I think it's much smoother.

Somebody noted that your coin flip mechanic is the same as rolling 11+ on a d20. If you don't like the potential for boosts and all that, you could also make it an attack die:

Quote:
HALFLING LUCK
If Wilbin Goodbody is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, you may re-roll one of the dice that showed a skull. If it does not show a skull, Wilbin Goodbody takes no damage.
I also think 8 move is a tad high. 7 is probably appropriate.

Gunnvaldr

Does Wild War Cry work on any Order Marker he reveals, as long as OM 1 is/was on him? If you want it to be only OM 1, it should say "before taking that turn".

Astro brought up the Dreadguls, and I really wonder if you designed him with them in mind. He'd be a cool bonding hero for them for sure.

I think it's probably worth dropping his attack to 5 (or 4) and increasing the non-moving bonus to +2.

Zefra Wildforest

A minor comment to start: If Deadeye Dan, 10 spaces away, attacks Zefra, it doesn't make much sense that Zefra can use First Strike to attack back.

Only one major comment here: First Strike breaks one of the niche rules of Heroscape. As a rule, a figure can only attack during its turn, and only one card can take a turn at a time. So you're having Zefra attack out of turn, which is a no-no.

I'd suggest looking at the Quick Draw power on Garrett Burns, which solves both the turn-stacking problem and the range problem.

Old November 8th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Curry_Noodles is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Wilbin Goodbody:

If I were you, I'd give Illusion Wilbin Goodbody his own card. Drop regular Wilbin down to 35 points and make his Illusion 10 points.

Then you'd have something like:
Quote:
SLY ILLUSION
Wilbin Goodbody starts the game with 3 Illusion Markers on his Army Card. Before taking a turn with Wilbin Goodbody, if Illusion Wilbin Goodbody is not on the board, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, remove an Illusion Marker from this card and place Illusion Wilbin Goodbody adjacent to Wilbin Goodbody. After taking a turn with Wilbin Goodbody, you may take a turn with Illusion Wilbin Goodbody. Figures adjacent to both Wilbin Goodbody and Illusion William Goodbody subtract 2 from their defense.
and Illusion Wilbin Goodbody would have:

Quote:
JUST AN ILLUSION (dumb name, but I came up with it on the spot)
Illusion Wilbin Goodbody does not start the game on the Battlefield. He must be placed on the battlefield by Wilbin Goodbody.
That's not 100% identical to what you have mechanically, but I think it's much smoother.

Somebody noted that your coin flip mechanic is the same as rolling 11+ on a d20. If you don't like the potential for boosts and all that, you could also make it an attack die:

Quote:
HALFLING LUCK
If Wilbin Goodbody is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, you may re-roll one of the dice that showed a skull. If it does not show a skull, Wilbin Goodbody takes no damage.
I also think 8 move is a tad high. 7 is probably appropriate.
I like these comments! It's tough to get the wording right sometimes when you have an idea for a unique ability. And for the Halfling Luck Ability, I think you've convinced me to change it to what you have written! I wasn't sure on how to re-create "luck" without the odds of calling a coin flip which was why I went in that direction initially. And if I have hopes of one day getting a figure (or figures hopefully!) into the C3V / SoV then I better play more in the sandbox. Regardless of that I think the change to dice from coin is a much better adjustment, plus you don't need to worry about situations where you don't have a coin on standby!

Quote:
Gunnvaldr

Does Wild War Cry work on any Order Marker he reveals, as long as OM 1 is/was on him? If you want it to be only OM 1, it should say "before taking that turn".

Astro brought up the Dreadguls, and I really wonder if you designed him with them in mind. He'd be a cool bonding hero for them for sure.

I think it's probably worth dropping his attack to 5 (or 4) and increasing the non-moving bonus to +2.
I wanted the Wild War Cry to work similarly to Ornak's Red Flag of Fury. I definitely don't want it to be an ability that can be used through Bonding so perhaps it does need to be re-worded to make that more clear. Believe it or not while I was brainstorming this figure, I did stumble upon the Dreadguls and it did give me some inspiration, in fact I originally wanted to named the figure Ulrick (father of Thorgrimm, Finn, and Valguard) but I didn't feel comfortable making a card for a "semi-canon" figure that I didn't know much about (I did try to do some research but I couldn't come across anything new to me). I'm going to drop his attack to 5, in the couple of battles I tried him in he was destroying pretty much anything that engaged him. I did want him to be strong since he looks it but he can't be too strong otherwise there would be a disconnect and it would make him pretty unrealistic.

Quote:
Zefra Wildforest

A minor comment to start: If Deadeye Dan, 10 spaces away, attacks Zefra, it doesn't make much sense that Zefra can use First Strike to attack back.

Only one major comment here: First Strike breaks one of the niche rules of Heroscape. As a rule, a figure can only attack during its turn, and only one card can take a turn at a time. So you're having Zefra attack out of turn, which is a no-no.

I'd suggest looking at the Quick Draw power on Garrett Burns, which solves both the turn-stacking problem and the range problem.
Good catch ahaha I meant to indicate that First Strike would only work on targets within her range. Out of the three cards posted so far she is the figure I've play tested the least and it was only one battle where she only destroyed 3 squad figures, so not really showing much of what she's capable of doing. The idea behind this card was to create a counter range like ability that wasn't counter strike. I've seen Garrett Burns's card before but it didn't stick in my mind when making this character (perhaps it wasn't until after I made this card that I saw his?) I like his Quick Draw power a lot, that seems to be very similar to what I had in mind for abilities... may even have to recycle that power!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards