Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:16 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Porting AotP Into Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I was thinking if you divided the cost by life, you could essentially draft the number of squads equal to AotP life and it would cost the same. I think AotP squads are too cheap this way though, and almost would require doubling the cost per life, so 2 life figures such as Illusionary Projections and Pummelroot Elementals would cost the same, but 3 life figures such as Rhox Veterans or Elf Rangers would cost 2/3 of AotP cost, but the 1 life squads don't work out with that math. so I dunno.

That got me to thinking, what if in Heroscape each common squad you only had one of, but you could pay multiples of it to have multiple life squad figures. For instance, if you had 5 squads lives of Marro Stingers, you would only have 3 figures on the board at all times, but each one would have 5 lives that you would track individually. I think the advantage of not having to bring out reinforcements from the start zone would about equal the disadvantage if an attack has more than one skull over your shields you would be loosing lives faster than common figures. Anyway, that is how one could port Scape into AotP, rather than AotP into Scape.
I like this idea. And I know that this isn’t exactly what you are talking about but I wonder if anyone like the smart folks responsible for C3V, SOV, HOSS, and C3G could come up with a way to take, say all the RotV squads, and assign them a color, number of lives, and possibly even change their abilities, and create new cards in order to make them truly compatible with AotP. In other words, just make AotP customs out of our official Heroscape figures. This way we would have so much more to work with and could wait much more patiently for official WotC releases.
I think it is a function of scale and audience. On the one hand there are over 200? units in scape which would be a sever undertaking to re-work. Since AotP has launched there has been a steady stream, but it is easier to port those figures over rather than the other way around.

The second is audience. I'm guessing most people around here like Scape more than AotP. For one I really believe the order marker system is one of the best parts of Scape. Again it seems easier to just use the rules I inspired and TREX clarified and throw the planeswalkers right into the mix with the 4th and Romans.
These are GREAT IDEAS - I love the fact that our "group think" discussion is inspiring creativity. BRAVO!

Meanwhile, I only bought HS:RotV to use the unique 3D terrain pieces with other war gaming miniatures, but eventually embraced the fantastical concept of Valhalla when I connected with the Eastern Pennsylvania group that was running monthly tournaments and Common Squads where already beginning to dominate the battlefields. I get the whole super-Hero concept with the special abilities, but would have preferred seeing generic leaders (i.e. sergeants, lieutenants, captains, etc.) instead of all the named characters that now exist.

And I've always hated the Order Marker system of activations. IMHO: it turns a 'battle' away from being a coordinated attack by several units with interdependent and mutually supportive capabilities into a Tag-Team wrestling match. Come to think of it, why didn't Hasbro produce WWF figures for HS. They may have only appealed to niche market segment, but would have fit right in with the current mix.

For my future HeroScape games, I am hoping to implement an activation system that forces every unit to be involved. The first unit to move and engage the enemy can not do so again until after the last unit has also done so, which would only occur during the NEXT ROUND. There will be a separate OM for each unit. I've recently played Bolt Action and The Gates Of Antares and really like their activation process enough to adopt it for HS. The dice can be purchased separately for few dollars.

I have never played Magic: The Gathering and I am not a fan of any deck-building games, so the whole idea behind MtG:AotP does not excite me. I've tried it a few times and can't get used to the Spell Cards influencing the combat. However, last week I did buy four (4) more AotP sets (my total now is 8 ), because they were on clearance at my local Walmart for only $15.00. It was worth it to me just to get the new tan terrain pieces. The rest of the stuff will be at my next yard sale to hopefully recoup some of this investment.

All that I really still want from Atop is a C3V custom card for Chandra, Gideon, Jace, Liliana, and Nissa.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; August 2nd, 2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Kormeked tripoes
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:34 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Johngee : @aquamaniac27 already did exactly what you asked for. See his thread WIP - AotP Customs. @wriggz did a more Magic-style port of cards in his Heroscape Style AotP - Cards and Blanks. Or you could do a better way and you play Heroscape but with @TREX 's rules below to allow Plainswalker, creatures, and Magic decks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I have an updated version of the reference card. @IshMEL , I think a hero healing a squad figure with multiple lives would be fine, as they are somewhat like heroes and have wound markers that can be added or taken away. I don't think it would need to be put in a FAQ or reference though. I added a few more little things for good measure, tell me what you guys think.
Basically, your planeswalker acts as an order marker hub for all your aotp units. I also made this version more pretty or prettier.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:44 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

THANKS @lefton4ya +1 Rep - it is indeed much more prettier

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Johngee , didn't take long to make it in Photoshop. It may not be the best solution for everybody, but it seems to cover most of the things that came up when we played a bunch of mixed games. Its not the law, but its a decent guideline for some fun integration. By the way, if anybody has any little clauses that may clarify it a little better and make it a little smoother, I still have the original on my computer.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:44 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'd add that spells can also be cast after attacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:46 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
That got me to thinking, what if in Heroscape each common squad you only had one of, but you could pay multiples of it to have multiple life squad figures. For instance, if you had 5 squads lives of Marro Stingers, you would only have 3 figures on the board at all times, but each one would have 5 lives that you would track individually. I think the advantage of not having to bring out reinforcements from the start zone would about equal the disadvantage if an attack has more than one skull over your shields you would be loosing lives faster than common figures. Anyway, that is how one could port Scape into AotP, rather than AotP into Scape.
This is a very cool idea!!! I could see having a limit to the # of Life you could have for multiples (like 2 for small, 3 for medium, 4 for large).
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@quozl , that's a great Idea. I think I'll create a new thread that has these guidelines on the OP, and we can tweak it into something beautiful.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:33 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

NEW DRAFT BLENDED SCENARIO

This uses my blending rules in the OP of this thread, and the new blending scenario rules mentioned upthread. It will most likely be played by my group in September. For more discussion and eventual game results and comments, see our thread in the site General Discussion section; The New York City Gang of Four thread by me.

All comments are welcome!

HEROSCAPE THE GATHERING: "IS GENERAL TSO CHICKEN?"

A BLENDED SCENARIO FOR HEROSCAPE AND
MTG AOTP (POST INNISTRAD)

By Chas (Draft 1)

INTRODUCTION: This is a two game series for four players. First we'll play a team Heroscape game with 600 point armies with a new, simple General Rule. Then for the second game, each player will add a 600 point Magic Arena Planeswalker army to his General Army. There will be a pause between games for drafting mono colored Planeswalkers (from the original core game), with their summoned army and spell deck. We'll be using the new Post Innistrad (Third Set) army totals, units, and spells, but not the multicolored Planeswalkers (with one of each set, that could make drafting complicated and limited).

GAME ONE: “IS GENERAL TSO CHICKEN?” Before coming on game day, each player builds a 600 point Heroscape army, using the following rule. General Rule: The highest point value Unique Hero in a player's army will be declared as his General (No, you can't turtle in the start zone with General Kyntela Gwyn)! If two cards are tied, the player may choose either as his General. However, if the General is defeated, the player and his army is out of the game. However, your General may not be Mind Shackled or Controlled, temporarily or permanently.

Otherwise, all standard Heroscape rules apply. The Start Zone will be a standard 24 hexes, but note that on ly 23 of them may be filled by the army (one hex must be saved for the Game Two Planeswalker). No glyphs will be used. If neither team is eliminated, the winning team will be the one with the most remaining points on the board after 15 turns.

GAME TWO: “ENTER THE GENERAL'S MAGICIAN!”

Drafting

1. Making a random D20 roll for selection order, each player will draft a mono colored Planeswalker.

2. Each player will draft a 600 point army of the mana color matching his chosen Planeswalker.

3. Then each player will draft a spell deck (exactly 12 spell cards totaling 200 points—these points are not part of the army building points, but included in the cost of the Planeswalker).

Game Blending Rules

Those we've used before that I made up. See them in the site AOTP submenu, under the AOTP Blender section. Check there the OP of my thread “Porting AOTP Into Scape.”

New Scenario Rule: “The General and the Magician:”

The General Rule for Game One is now modified:

1. If your General is defeated, your player Heroscape Army is not lost, unless your Planeswalker is also defeated, in which case it is removed from the board immediately.

2. If your Planeswalker is defeated, all unplayed pell cards are placed in your spell graveyard (discard pile). However, any summoned creatures remain, and previously played Enchantments remain in effect (unless they were on the Planeswalker). As long as your General is undefeated, your Heroscape army remains on the battlefield.

3. If both your General and Planeswalker are defeated, all of your forces are removed from the board, and you are out of the game!

4. If both teams still have forces on the board after 20 Turns, the team with the most remaining points on the battlefield wins.

SCENARIO DESIGN COMMENTS

Once a fourth set of AOTP is published, or if multiples of any of the two master sets are later obtained, multicolor Planeswalkers may be selected.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:44 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just a quick note here that the General Tso games went pretty well, and the blended rules worked fine. For a more detailed discussion, see the report going up on our Group's HQ, at General Discussion/New York City Gang of Four thread (link below). I'll be making some small edits to the rules back up top in the Original Post here.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...23#post2110023

Remember that these rules are intended to play Scape primarily, with the AOTP as a sort of expansion. Other people are experimenting with doing the opposite, and playing AOTP with Scape. So you can take your choice!

Maybe some day Craig Van Ness will tell us what he had in mind in this regard. But I always said that Plainswalkers was meant both to make Hasbro happy and give us Scapers the gift of more Scape, and that's how we like it here in Brooklyn. Now that CVN is an actual site member, if he doesn't show up here, I'm sure he'll mention something on his new Q&A thread in General Discussion. So check it out if you haven't already. And if you don't know this is going on, look on the Home Page!

Last edited by chas; September 16th, 2016 at 08:19 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender