Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 19th, 2020, 09:24 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Ozuul (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
CaptainStupendous Suggestion:
Quote:
After moving and before attacking, Ozuul may use Gravity Pull. In the order that you choose, each non-adjacent small or medium figure within 2 clear sight spaces of Ozuul must be placed by its owner on any empty space adjacent to Ozuul, if possible. Figures moved with Gravity Pull do not take any leaving engagement attacks. After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul must use Crushing Vortex Special Attack.
I like this proposal, Captain Stupendous. @Scytale do you see any rules issues with this?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
CaptainStupendous Suggestion:
Quote:
After moving and before attacking, Ozuul may use Gravity Pull. In the order that you choose, each non-adjacent small or medium figure within 2 clear sight spaces of Ozuul must be placed by its owner on any empty space adjacent to Ozuul, if possible. Figures moved with Gravity Pull do not take any leaving engagement attacks. After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul must use Crushing Vortex Special Attack.
I like this proposal, Captain Stupendous. @Scytale do you see any rules issues with this?
Placement and movement in Heroscape are the same thing, but it is true that placement powers generally do not talk about falling damage. I can't argue with that precedent.

So yes, this looks good, though I'd add a "One at a time," at the start of the second sentence. "In the order that you choose" is unnecessary, since the rulebook tells us that the owner of the power chooses the order figures are affected. But it does add some clarification.
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:03 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

GRAVITY PULL
After moving and before attacking, Ozuul may use Gravity Pull. One at a time, in the order that you choose, each non-adjacent small or medium figure within 2 clear sight spaces of Ozuul must be placed by its controller on any empty space adjacent to Ozuul, if possible. Figures moved with Gravity Pull do not take any leaving engagement attacks but will take any falling damage that may apply. After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul must use Crushing Vortex Special Attack.

Sounds like "in the order that you choose" may be optional if we want to clean it up a little. Changed "owner" to "controller" on the off chance some Mind Shackle type power is in play (if your opponent steals your figure, you're still the owner, but they are the controller, and it would make more sense for them to place it than you). Gravity sounds like the kind of thing that causes you to fall, so I'm in favor of including "but will take any falling damage that may apply. Should be fun ripping defenders off walls in castle sieges.

Sound good enough for the OP?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 1st, 2020, 02:17 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
GRAVITY PULL
After moving and before attacking, Ozuul may use Gravity Pull. One at a time, in the order that you choose, each non-adjacent small or medium figure within 2 clear sight spaces of Ozuul must be placed by its controller on any empty space adjacent to Ozuul, if possible. Figures moved with Gravity Pull do not take any leaving engagement attacks but will take any falling damage that may apply. After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul must use Crushing Vortex Special Attack.

Sounds like "in the order that you choose" may be optional if we want to clean it up a little. Changed "owner" to "controller" on the off chance some Mind Shackle type power is in play (if your opponent steals your figure, you're still the owner, but they are the controller, and it would make more sense for them to place it than you). Gravity sounds like the kind of thing that causes you to fall, so I'm in favor of including "but will take any falling damage that may apply. Should be fun ripping defenders off walls in castle sieges.

Sound good enough for the OP?
I know that there were some concerns raised about Gravity Pull applying falling damage, because the precedent is that placement powers do not have falling damage unless specifically noted. For newer players, this won't be obvious, and it might be confusing to then move on to the majority of powers where falling damage is not mentioned at all.

I'm not personally swayed by this concern, but it is worth noting. Dienekes already has an example of a placement power without falling damage in the set, so there might be some confusion there. I'm willing to clarify it with a R&C in his book (which we should have anyway) and a line in the rulebook, but I get that it's not ideal.

Personally, I'd like to test Ozuul with falling damage first (it'd be a fun interaction when pulling figures off of Pillars of Hár) so that we can at least get a feel for whether it really adds to the design or not. If it's mostly superfluous and the forced Crushing Vortex afterward is enough of a threat, then we can cut it.

Other than that, I really like the streamlined wording and would like to use it.
Old June 1st, 2020, 02:24 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm pretty happy to not apply falling damage in the name of simplicity, but if Scytale can come up with wording he's happy with (including NB's wording) I am fine with trying it to start.

--
--
--

--
Old June 5th, 2020, 05:26 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Sounds like we might want to take a vote on including falling damage here or not? If Dienekes doesn't cause falling damage, and Ozuul spells out that it does, then that could actually be a good way to illustrate the rule to players (in addition to the mandatory rulebook rules, of course).

My vote is yea, for falling damage, because gravity.

Yes (4): NecroBlade, capsocrates, Astroking112, Pumpkin_King
No (1): flameslayer93

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; June 14th, 2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old June 5th, 2020, 05:53 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

For simplicity’s sake, and because I don’t view the pull as something that is done so quickly that things could get hurt if they fell, I’ll vote No to Falling Damage.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 6th, 2020, 10:17 PM

I will vote yes for falling damage but falling back to no if necessary to break a tie. I feel pretty split on this.

--
--
--

--
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:05 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'll vote yes to falling damage. If playtesting shows that it doesn't add much to the design, however, then that's the first thing that I want to cut.
Old June 9th, 2020, 08:29 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I'm much the same as the others. Yes, but not a strong one. It can go if need be.
Old June 14th, 2020, 02:11 PM

@All Your Pie hasn't voted yet, but it looks like we're including falling damage for now. Let's make sure we test with the Pillars and/or other large terrain features to see if it breaks anything.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:46 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I know we're not officially in playtesting yet, so I'll just leave this here as a surprise tool that will help us later.

Map: Custom
Spoiler Alert!

Army 1 (L): Avernus, M43 Resistance Fighters x2, Hoplitron, Velnesh (400)
Army 2 (N): Ozuul, Marro Stingers x2, Ne-Gok-Sa

Which units survived?
Army 1 won after N conceded. Army 1 still had 3 Velnesh and Hoplitron. Army 2 had full life Ne-Gok-Sa

N opened with a combination of Stingers and Ozuul. I led with M43 and Avernus. Halfway through the second round I charged Avernus toward N's startzone where he killed three Stingers. The M43 did most of my heavy lifting this game, pinging Ozuul for 6 damage and killing two Stingers. After the Velnesh killed Ozuul, N conceded with only Ne-Gok-Sa left.

Turn-by-turn summary:

Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Ozuul killed 4 M43 and dealt 4 wounds to Avernus
Gravity Pull was used several times to engage M43. Despite whiffing several times, Ozuul did use Vortex to kill the last three M43 with a single attack.

Velnesh dealt 2 wounds to Avernus. If the game had been played to completion, they would have most likely dealt the majority of wounds to Ne-Gok-Sa. Shift allowed them grab some height near the end as they were advancing toward Ozuul, but it wasn’t incredibly impactful.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

I really like where both of these units are at right now. The Velnesh feel maybe a bit bland, but that could be that in my handful of games with them they’ve never had the opportunity to use BLINK. In a master set I also think it's perfectly fine to have a few units who aren’t crazy exciting.

Ozuul seems really fun. Despite some very poor attack rolls early in the game, he still managed to kill ~163 worth of points (4 wounds on Avernus, 4 M43). Overall I think his price could maybe come down just a bit, but not by much. I need to play with and against him more for sure though to get a feel for it. He seems like he’ll be a little trickier to play to his full potential, which is something I really like. Increasing his movement to 6 could give him more opportunities to get into the optimal position for Gravity Pull. The combination of Gravity Pull and Crushing Vortex is extremely potent (I think of it kind of like a better version of Viceron’s Bloodstorm Ritual Special Attack). Looking forward to trying both of these figures out some more.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs