Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2018, 02:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

I am aware of that virtue and I am mindful of it. I think that aspect of it is *great*. I had thought - and I could be wrong about this - it's been a critical darling, though, and that doesn't compute for me.

It's a fine movie and I am happy about its financial success as a new type of movie - full Asian cast, without any of the few readily recognizable Asian movie stars and without martial arts. That's wonderful! But the first half hour kind of dragged and the story kind of went spinning in a few directions at once. So it was not, you might say, Pride and Prejudice.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 2nd, 2018, 02:55 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don’t put much stock in critics.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 2nd, 2018, 03:15 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Why not? You're a teacher. You appreciate the value of analytical writing.

We've had this discussion before in this thread. I don't always agree with them, as here, but I think there's something to be said for listening.

Of course, taking in what critics say is its own challenge. You cannot, for instance, simply go to Rotten Tomatoes and look at the score of the movie. If you did that for Crazy Rich Asians, you would see an impressive 93%. But that just measures whether a critic gave an overall or . This, for instance, counted as a :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Feeney, Boston Globe
For a while, "Crazy Rich Asians" has the airborne, happy preposterousness of a good screwball comedy. Those first 60 minutes or so are a treat: lighthearted, sure-handed, zippy.
Fair enough! That's definitely an endorsement.

One of my favorite movies from a few years ago, Memento, has a comparable Rotten Tomatoes score of 92%. Here is what one of the critics said about this mind-bending action thriller:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
I can't remember when a movie has seemed so clever, strangely affecting and slyly funny at the very same time.
That is far higher praise, to my eyes, then the previous quote. But they count for the same weight, for the purpose of Rotten Tomatoes final tabulation.

The movies have similar scores, because similar proportions of critics generally liked-to-loved it, compared to those who disliked-to-hated it. But what was actually written matters.

For what it's worth, my interest in reading critical analysis of films is in doing so *after* I see the film, and not before. It gives me a chance to reflect on the movie I've seen, and compare notes. Maybe I missed something important, or maybe somebody else's well-articulated thoughts on the movie will shape how I'm thinking about it in some other way.

I often disagree with the critics. In recent years, I liked The Foreigner very much, speaking of movies with Asian leads, and I liked Aloha (less so, but I still liked it); both were panned. And, obviously, I didn't care much for Crazy Rich Asians, despite the warm reception by the critics.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 2nd, 2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Curiously, Juliet Naked has an 80% score on Rotten Tomatoes. Compared to 93% for CRA? I wonder about the math.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 03:23 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I could have better said: I have a toddler and thus lack the time or mental capital to care about critics.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 2nd, 2018, 03:33 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Understood. Completely.

= =
Old September 2nd, 2018, 09:01 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Saw Ready Player One last night. I enjoyed it, and I thought it was a nice adaptation of the essence of the book. I think the book hits the 80s nostalgia better, but I don't think there is any way they could have secured all the rights and licenses to make a strict adaptation.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:09 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

My wife and I watched Blade Runner 2049. I had seen it at the theater, but this was the first time my wife saw it. She didn't dig it so much, as it was pretty long and slow. I liked it both times I've seen it and noticed more stuff the 2nd time around.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:18 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Saw Ready Player One last night. I enjoyed it, and I thought it was a nice adaptation of the essence of the book. I think the book hits the 80s nostalgia better, but I don't think there is any way they could have secured all the rights and licenses to make a strict adaptation.
Watched this tonight with my family. Didn't know anything about it going in but my son was really wanting to see it and we've been letting him see PG-13 movies a bit lately. With the younger cast and the basic concept it we figured it would be a PG-13 movie about the level of Max Steel. But we were surprised a bit with a few scenes and the language. I guess we should have done our homework a bit more. It was enjoyable though and we liked it.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 08:08 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

My son and I had listened to the Ready Player One audiobook while driving to GenCon, so it was special to us. We went to the midnight premiere. I, also, thought it was a clever adaptation of the book. They did a good job squeezing it onto the big screen. We both enjoyed it.

= =
Old September 3rd, 2018, 08:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Good critics allow a useful dialogue with your own opinions. One of the my favorite postviewing discussions occurred years ago in a woody Manhattan pub after I saw Apocalypse Now on its first run with two friends. One hated it, one loved it, and I was in between!
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:44 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just watched "Like Father" on Netflix and it was surprisingly great for a movie with Seth Rogen in it!
Old September 9th, 2018, 09:13 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

As an Asian-American film geek with no plans to see Crazy Rich Asians in theaters, I figured I'd throw in my two cents here. I'm glad to see it doing well at the box office by servicing an oft-ignored audience and I definitely support the goals of increased visibility and representation for Asians and others, but I'm also hesitant to watch a movie that seems to be a slightly-above-middling romcom at best, just because it stars a mainly Asian cast in a story that revolves around my personal experience.

Cultural events like Crazy Rich Asians can sort of serve as a trap - when minority groups are allowed to join in the larger culture, but only when they tell stories intrinsically tied to their otherness, the larger culture observes it, pats itself on the back, and proceeds to move on without making any real progress. We saw that happen with The Joy Luck Club, a movie that increased Asian representation briefly and then had no more impact in the 20+ years between it and Crazy Rich Asians. If a group is seen as only useful when telling its own stories, it can be easily pigeonholed. Personally, I'd much rather support a movie like Searching, starring John Cho, in which his character's race is incidental to the story. When Asians start getting to tell more stories like that, progress will have been made.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies