Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Is Marvel balanced enough for normal games of Classic Scape?
Marvel is TOO STRONG! A resounding NO! 17 36.96%
It's all good, Marvel SHOULD be okay to mix with Classic. 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM

imadragon *glass shatters*
Re: Marvel Vs Classic

I dont think thay mix.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer999 View Post
Something came to mind... Do you guys who support Marvel actually play Marvel with Classic? Or do you guys just know that Marvel is fine to mix, but never really do that. My reason for asking this is not to discredit any marvel supporting claims, but rather to look at it all from a thematic viewpoint. Personally other than just the issue of gameplay balance, I found it weird to see Spiderman right there beside Ne-Gok-Sa... It just looks wrong and out-of-place.
Yes, it's so wierd to have superheros next to cowboys, aliens, monsters, orcs, elves, robots, elementals, kyrie, lizards, and zombies - I mean come on people, a superhero just makes things silly

And yes, I do mix them regularly, that's why I laugh whenever someone who has obviously not played them with full classic claims that they are over-powered. Someone on this thread fought all the Marvel figures with the Venoc Vipers, equal cost vs. equal cost. Vipers won. Same would happen with virtually any squad, point for point and even many heroes, point for point.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Something came to mind... Do you guys who support Marvel actually play Marvel with Classic? Or do you guys just know that Marvel is fine to mix, but never really do that. My reason for asking this is not to discredit any marvel supporting claims, but rather to look at it all from a thematic viewpoint. Personally other than just the issue of gameplay balance, I found it weird to see Spiderman right there beside Ne-Gok-Sa... It just looks wrong and out-of-place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing SpiderMan into the mix that big of a deal?
And yes, I do mix them quite regularly. The only exception is when playing C3G exclusive games.

Old March 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The best match of Marvel and non-Marvel is Cap America and 4th Mass. As others have said, Venom is cheap enough to fit into many armies. Spider Man and Iron Man are fun to play. The Hulk, Silver Surfer, Abomination, etc. are still fun, but in a 500 or so point army, it is hard to fit them into an army without them becoming the army.
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

They are incompatible....
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadragon View Post
I dont think thay mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
They are incompatible....
Do either of you have any reasons or arguments to back up this statement?

Old March 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

I would have to give "A resounding NO!"

I know that they are compatible, of course, since they have the same exact game mechanics and whatnot, but the thing is, the Marvel characters are simply too powerful for a regular 'Scape army to hope to compete against (unless you have mobs of common squad figures, but that's an extreme case).

Don't get me wrong, MarvelScape is great! The problem is that, since the figures are superheroes and supervillains they have super and extra-powerful stats and abilities. Great when they're fighting one another, but come on, do you really think a Roman Legionnaire stands a chance against Thanos or the Silver Surfer? Even balanced heroes like Sgt. Drake or even the powerful heroes for ClassicScape standards like Braxas or Jotun will fall to the Marvel figures.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz
I have said it before, and I shall say it again, Marvel is different. As you increase the number of dice rolled in single attacks and mix longer ranged attacks with high move or flying you create a very differnt type of figure.

The issue is variance. As the variance goes up you start having blow out games that are very unpredictable. The higher the variance the less skill plays into the victory. This is generally not the type of game you want to pigion hole into a tournment format. It would be like playing DW7, Deadeye, Runa and Sudema in a tourment. You will likley loose however with good roles you could take out even the best player.

With marvel however most of the +200 units have the staying power to make blowouts more likely, thus removing a lot of skill of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz
As far as the SMASHing is concerned, Krug and Jotun take finesse to survive long enough to get their smash on. Even then The low defense means you can predict just about how many attacks they will survive. On the other hand Hulk can be in your start zone in one turn, throwing all strategy out the window replaced by Kill the BIG GREEN GUY! Then it becomes more unpredictable how long Hulk will live. He may take many hits or only a few. It is not a huge difference, but it is enough to warrant exclusion from most competitive bouts.

It boils down to competitiveness. The marvel >240 marvel units are hard to place since they are made for feast or famine, not both. The Dice do not have time to balance in a standard game. If the point total was higher, say 1000 pts, the game would change again and I would say they not only fit, but belong in the game.
I state my former opinion here, as it has not changed, and I believe is worth considering.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
On the other hand Hulk can be in your start zone in one turn, throwing all strategy out the window replaced by Kill the BIG GREEN GUY!
If you replace the word "Hulk" with "Zelrig" and the words "BIG GREEN GUY" with "BIG RED DRAGON", your statement still works. Actually, with most armies, I'd rather face the Hulk.

In the Power Rankings, Captain America is an "A". Silver Surfer and Venom are "A-". Spider Man is a "B+". Abomination and the Hulk are "B". Iron Man and Thanos are "B-". Doctor Doom and Red Skull are "C+". It sounds pretty balanced to me.
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I find it fine that a superhero fights a alien but the mass 4th is strange.
The marro set was the set I bought after marvel one so my son could have the hulk curb stomp some alien invaders.
The heroscape main storyline is weak at best,could the mass 4th really stop a deathwalker NO could the hulk or ironman YES.
To me heroscape is just a fun game that we enjoy playing.

Last edited by blooded scion; March 13th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadliest Warrior View Post
I would have to give "A resounding NO!"

I know that they are compatible, of course, since they have the same exact game mechanics and whatnot, but the thing is, the Marvel characters are simply too powerful for a regular 'Scape army to hope to compete against (unless you have mobs of common squad figures, but that's an extreme case).

Don't get me wrong, MarvelScape is great! The problem is that, since the figures are superheroes and supervillains they have super and extra-powerful stats and abilities. Great when they're fighting one another, but come on, do you really think a Roman Legionnaire stands a chance against Thanos or the Silver Surfer? Even balanced heroes like Sgt. Drake or even the powerful heroes for ClassicScape standards like Braxas or Jotun will fall to the Marvel figures.
You've obviously never played with them much, they aren't overpowered at all.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
On the other hand Hulk can be in your start zone in one turn, throwing all strategy out the window replaced by Kill the BIG GREEN GUY!
If you replace the word "Hulk" with "Zelrig" and the words "BIG GREEN GUY" with "BIG RED DRAGON", your statement still works. Actually, with most armies, I'd rather face the Hulk.

In the Power Rankings, Captain America is an "A". Silver Surfer and Venom are "A-". Spider Man is a "B+". Abomination and the Hulk are "B". Iron Man and Thanos are "B-". Doctor Doom and Red Skull are "C+". It sounds pretty balanced to me.
I never said that the MArvel figures arn't balanced. I would happily play them with classic scape and the C3G stuff without concern. I am merely stating when you get about 250 points for a single unit, you are creating a different type of figure. They are just as fun, and can be played with the original figures, however the points start making less sense.

It is kinda like in Dragon Ball Z when they realized there power level detectors were useless. OVER 9000!

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion