Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Designers-Reviving the Unique Squad

After reading through this thread, I felt it would be nice give my 2cents about reviving the unique squad.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=31235

So it is a large wonder why the RotV unique squads are still played and are famous across these boards. Two words: Purposely Powerful. What I mean is that the original designers didn't know how things would play out several years later. As a result, overpowering armies came out from our skilled players cleverly utilizing these figures. But the biggest problem is that many of the newer unique squads don't really rely on "PurPow".

Here is what I mean...

Controversial Power--When a squad gets a really powerful ability with a cheap cost(MARRO WARRIORS). The designers were able to make them cheap by utilizing controversy. Their low attack and defense along with the no attack restriction and D20 roll still have people arguing if they should be more expensive.

Conceded Power--When a squad gets a power that lets it be more devastating than what it could be(for it's points). The Tarns Berserking Charge has that little effect. The handy Counterstrike of the dirt cheap Izumis along with 5(or 6 with height) defense tends to fill that role a little bit too.

Power of Attraction--Although it isn't half as important as some of these "powers", the attraction that a figure gets has a little to do with whether or not your gonna remember it offhand. The piece being nice is part of it, but the other price is the ease of the math that your doing. Yes, the points being added all together does have something to do with how you do army building. In a 400point game, it isn't hard for anybody to add a squad of KMA(100pts),Drake&NGS(200pts), and the two 50 point squads(Tarns/MWs). Easy point scores really make Unique squads better.

Exploited Power--The Zettian Guards are really the best example of how the designers exploit a squads biggest general idea. They are supposed to be really heavy armored tanks. They are. 7 defense is unreal in any common squad and is the main reason they are dangerous. Especially coupled with their price of 70, these guys are guards in the truest sense.

So I think overall, the best way to make a great unique squad, you have to make it overpowered. You simply cannot put it up to a common squad's pricing, because common squads are more expensive than uniques. I don't ever use the tagawas(a booster unique) because they are overpriced and never get their points worth, at least for me.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Designers-Reviving the Unique Squad

Nicely written! But dont you think this could have gone in the theard you read?

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Nicely written! But dont you think this could have gone in the theard you read?
Eh, I figured it would be overlooked especially by the designers. Plus it is a very off of the thread's topic posting. Thanks for reading.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

Controversial Power--When a squad gets a really powerful ability with a cheap cost(MARRO WARRIORS). The designers were able to make them cheap by utilizing controversy. Their low attack and defense along with the no attack restriction and D20 roll still have people arguing if they should be more expensive.
I think the Krav (Stealth Dodge) and the AE (Drop and Grenades) are better examples of great abilities than the Marro Warriors.

What makes the Marror Warriors good is a combination of their Cheap cost and good stats-4 figures, 3 defense, 6 movement, 6 range. I typically play them as if they have no special ability since the vast majority of the time it is not worth using.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

I think the Krav (Stealth Dodge) and the AE (Drop and Grenades) are better examples of great abilities than the Marro Warriors.

What makes the Marror Warriors good is a combination of their Cheap cost and good stats-4 figures, 3 defense, 6 movement, 6 range. I typically play them as if they have no special ability since the vast majority of the time it is not worth using.
I just used them since they are often referred to as undercosted or just right by many. I could add in the AE though...

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My feelings overwhelm my reason in this game (see my Mimring/Rhogar posts, for example). I love the Kozuke and the Ninjas of the Northern Wind, but their fragility make them . . . I can't bring myself to say it.

I would suggest that any new unique squad would have to have a mechanic to remain viable until none are left. How about this . . .

The Phantom Samurai

4 figures, attack 4, defense, 3, move 6, Charging Assault 2 (extra spaces), if one dies,
3 figures, attack 5, defense, 4, move 5, CA 3, if one dies,
2 figures, attack 6, defense 5, move 4, CA 4, if one dies,
1 figure, attack 7, defense 6, move 3, CA 5.

All have Phantom Walk and Counterstrike, can move 8 spaces to engage an enemy, but generally move slower the fewer they get. Price?

Maybe this is in the wrong thread. Anyways, as I understand it, there are too few appropriate D&D figures for common, let alone unique, squads. The mechanic is still viable, though.

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; July 15th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What's the difference between a controversial and conceded power? It appears that you're saying the same thing.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
My feelings overwhelm my reason in this game (see my Mimring/Rhogar posts, for example). I love the Kozuke and the Ninjas of the Northern Wind, but their fragility make them . . . I can't bring myself to say it.

I would suggest that any new unique squad would have to have a mechanic to remain viable until none are left. How about this . . .

The Phantom Samurai

4 figures, attack 4, defense, 3, move 6, Charging Assault 2 (extra spaces), if one dies,
3 figures, attack 5, defense, 4, move 5, CA 3, if one dies,
2 figures, attack 6, defense 5, move 4, CA 4, if one dies,
1 figure, attack 7, defense 6, move 3, CA 5.

All have Phantom Walk and Counterstrike, can move 8 spaces to engage an enemy, but generally move slower the fewer they get. Price?
I guess maybe 70? 80?
Anyways this is why Unique Squads are built to be better than commons. Innovation is always good, especially with uniques!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion