Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Re: Star Trek Fleet Captains: Silk Purse From Sow's Ear?

chas, I've really enjoyed reading your posts here, even though I suppose I'm "late to the party."

I caught the announcement about the Romulan expansion, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the additions they make.

I haven't had much success playing this solo, as there's a ton of stuff you have to keep track of. The hidden info isn't a problem for me, though, so this thread makes me want to give another shot at a solo run to see if I can manage it better. I do like this game, and there are just things that happen that make me laugh out loud at times. Example: a Klingon ship got stalled by Q, then moved into another sector to be locked in place by another encounter where the other Klingons had to go back to release it.

I did manage to play a game against my nephew. I played the Klingons and pulled ahead in the beginning, but he won by hitting a string of missions in a row.
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Davidlhsl:

I in turn enjoyed your comments. Yes, its an entertaining combination of an adventure game with a war game. You play it to win, but since there are many factors you can't control, you laugh at what happens, and go on to another game. You can do lots of sneaky things--the new Sabotage rules will no doubt add to this dimension of the game! I'm looking forward to see what the designers have in mind for new additions to the rules, and how they treat the Romulans as a seperate faction with spaceship designs from both TV and movie treatments.
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Inspired by this thread, I gave the game another shot at a solo run using recommended starting setup, and I had pretty good results. There's still a lot of things to juggle, but I had a great time.

There were 3 ships per side, and Klingons were light in their combat missions. They took control of an abandoned starbase and built two more. The Federation had to cycle through some worthless missions before they had some they could work with. Picard was a MVP for the Feds, as he twice allowed ships to break away from the Klingons (Dr. Crusher brought him back, which is why he was able to do this twice). Both sides alternated taking VP, and the Feds were only one turn away from winning. All they needed was an Engine Test to complete the Lunar Realignment Mission. However, two Klingon ships took advantage of a ship designated for the Warp Experiment Mission and had weaker shields for the Sensor Test portion of the Lunar Realignment. Ka-Blooey, and the Klingons took the point for the ship, 2 points fulfilling their Crippling Strike Mission, and snagged the 2 point Warp Experiment Mission.

Final Score: 12 vs 9 in favor of the Empire.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

The sabotage rules remind me of the Wretch in Battleship Galaxies.

Old June 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

WOW.... Thanks Chas & T. I just discovered this thread and will have to come back to it when I have more time to thoroughly read all the analytical verbiage. I was torn between this game, "STFC," and "Battleship Gallaxies" - both of which I was facinated with at GenCon, but could not afford - so I held off until I could read more reviews from The Community. In two hours I'm heading to Philli for an HS Tournament, which you guys are apparently going to miss; well maybe next time MARS is in session?

(EDIT) OKAY... I got back from the Battlefields of Valhalla late last night and had a busy Father's Day with the family, but still managed to come back to this Forum and read every jot and tiddle. I didn't realize that you started this thread back in early December. Sooo,l after six months are you still playing it as much or have you moved on to something new? It definitely sounds like you've gotten your hundred bucks worth of enjoyment out of it, anyway. I divide the cost of a game I've purchased by the number of times (and hours) that I've played it, to determine if it was worth the investment compared to other activities I could have done, i.e. going to a movie. Meanwhile, my 'Scaper buddy, Fallow, convinced me yesterday at The Games Keep in West Chester, PA to consider "ECLIPSE" as THE One outer space fleet game that I should be considering. Do you have any info on that one to compare to STFC? Or do you think it's high rating on BGG is just newness hype?

Although I can remember watching the original StarTrek episodes on my parents B&W TV, I never became a diehard "Trekie" and favor Med-Fan to Sci-Fi, so that's another strike against me acquiring this one, STFC. However, it does sound like a game I would enjoy playing (without owning), so I might just look you up the next time that I'm in NYC without a predetermined itinerary. Thanks again for the thorough review and thoughtful analysis.

"Beam me up, Scotty."
- Capt. James T. Kirk

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; June 17th, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Editted to avoid double posting.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Recent info from boardgamegeek indicates that the Romulan expansion, containing about half the content of the original, will cost about half the price: $38.99

Speculation about the characters that were left out of the original crew card decks, most notably Capt. Benjamin Sisko and his crew, is considered to hint at a future DS9/Dominion War Expansion. The other Federation crew still "missing in space" is from ST: Enterprise aka Capt. Archer and crew.

One of the designers has also said:

1. The new "Advanced Rules" are just tweeks.

2. Romulans can be used interchangeably with any other faction in a two faction game.

3. Sabotage Missions are only for Romulans.

4. A six player game (two for each of the first three factions) should work, but would take a long time.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:10 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

I think I'll hold off on purchasing this StarTrek game until there's an exrated Kardasian expansion, but to each his own. Enjoy what you've got. Happy gaming.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM

I'm back to playing the game after finishing my 6 week Battles of Westeros project (see What Board Game Are You Playing?). We're really getting into the subtleties of cloaking the Klingon ships, and how some of their command cards interact with this maneuver.

One trick is to cloak and enter an unexplored board hex which you've previously scanned and know to be dangerous. If the Feds are in hot pursuit, why not draw them into having to explore it with a possible encounter, and then have to deal with the bad effects? Mwahaha!

Of course, there is a Fed ship that can cloak also. But the Feds aren't given more than one Sensor Echo, so they can't generate a second one with their inferior cloaking...
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:04 AM

The Romulan Expansion originally announced for Oct. 17 is now expected on Nov. 30 (maybe). Drat!

STFC seems to be the only successful design of the three ST games published more or less at the same time. Ships for the newer but awful "Tactics" game are the same size as STFC and painted, but would have to be converted to STFC with new Stat cards (or some have the same as others of their class). Many more types and races are coming out, but I'm refusing to spring for them. Luckily, my ST opponent is now buying them up, as well as older ones, and has quite a number of fleets, so they'll be appearing soon in our games. He and another crafty friend of his will be also making custom physical reconstructions. They are down in Maryland doing that right now.

Unfortunately there is no one good source on the Star Trek ships. He got me the new one being used now most frequently across the country: Star Trek Role Playing Game: Starships (Book 4) by Decipher (www.decipher.com). Unfortunately, none of the many books out are either complete or consistant!

The very first book with ship varients was the Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual (Franz Joseph Designs, 1975 SBN 345-24730-2-895). This shows Federation ships only: Dreadnought (three engine pods), Heavy Cruiser (The Enterprise), Destroyer/Scout (no engine pods), Transport/Tug (No engine pods, but a huge cylindrical cargo container superimposed over the lower fuselage. Others can be linked in rows like railroad train cars. These are noted as MK1 Bulk Liquids, MKII Dry Bulk, MKIII Refridgerated Goods, MKIV Personnel/Starliners, MKV Products). Another excellent old dinosaur, now no longer part of canon, is the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronolgy (Wallaby/Pocket Books ,1980) which traces ship design from that time until TOS Star Trek, with an upgraded Enterprise as the greatest thing going.

STFC could really use planetary encounter mechanisms for Away Team missions; but these were made by another author (Reiner "Ka-sneezia," who is not one I favor) for their other apparantly awful "Expeditions" game. That Wiz Kids for ya--making nice components for games other than the ones they provide! And its set in the new movie era, which is not continuity with any of the old canon, all of which is included in STFC.

The publishing company is doing a magnificently foolish job of making it difficult to play with their toys, thinking it will maximize their profits. But at least they are making ships available for their one good game (although it has its own many component issues--see previous posts).

Last edited by chas; November 10th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM

My new wrinkle for STFC is trying out new board configurations, other than the "standard rectangle" shown in the rules. They encourage experimentation with the individual board hex tiles in making differently shaped mapboards, but give no examples.

If you want to make your own, think about keeping the two side Command Posts at least 5 hexes apart. Creating single hex wide "choke points" carry the danger of becoming blocked up with either very large or very dangerous hexes. If this happens, one side will be forced to give up that exploring that sector, or getting through on the opponent's side!

Here are my so far symmetrical designs; all of which have been played once and worked well. All are given in a right to left column format. "Open Center" (OC) means a gap in the middle of the column, one hex wide or wider as indicated. "End" means a single hex finishing off the formation. "CP" means Command Posts. All are in my "Medium One" format: 13 Fleet Size/Victory Points and therefore 4 actions per turn per player; with 34-36 hex tiles used.

1. "Spiral Arms" 13/4/34: 6-5-6, plus two diagonal arms on either side (up to the right, down to the left) 2-3 +1 end hex (total 7 hexes per arm).

2. "Crossfire" 13/4/34 6-5-6, two straight arms 7 hexes to either side 2x3 with 1 end hex (total 7 hexes per arm).

3. "Hole In The Doughnut" 13/4/36 5-6-5 between CPs. Then a very large empty hex shaped gap to either side. Fill in around the gaps.

4. "Double Dancer" 13/4/34 3-2 (Open Center 2 hexes)-4-(OC)-6-4 (Center Row OC)-6-4 (OC)-2 (OC2)-4-3-2.

5. "Vertebrae" 13/4/36 2-3-4-2 (OC)-4(OC)-5-4 (OC)-2 (OC)-4-3-2.

6. "The Wheel" 13/4/35 2-3-4-2 (OC3)-1-0-2-0-1)-5-1-0-2-0-1-2 (OC3)-4-3-2.
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Romulan Empire Expansion Released Wed. Nov. 7 2012!

"The Universe is a dangerous place."
--Kevin Sorbo as Captain Dylan Hunt, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

Its out and we've ordered our copies. Here's a summary of what's new on boardgamegeek, where the moderators seem to be changing and hiding some of the original posts about the expansion.

You get not a new rules book, but a two page rules revision sheet (my own major playing aid so far for the core set is a Table of Contents, which it is sorely lacking). Here's part of what is on the new sheet, by someone who actually has the expansion in hand, as several now do:

1. Emergency Cloaking
Instead of using a cloaking action to cloak your ship, you may do so as part of your movement. Doing so used 5 points of movement--if your ship has an engine rating of less than 5, you cannot use this ability.

If you have already moved, you can still cloak as an action. After you move, as you have to Power Adjust to cloak, you can not continue your movement.

EC does not generate a Sensor Echo as well.

2. Transmission Jamming

TJ is an action (opposed sensor test). It allows players to make opponents discard Mission cards. Each movement point away adds 1 to the difficulty. Secret Missions stay unrevealed. If their first mission deck runs out, you choose which main mission deck they draw from.

3. First Starbase Built/First Enemy Ship Destroyed
are now worth 2 VP each.

4. Saboteurs
are a type of Mission which allows a crew card to be placed on an enemy ship.

5. The Timing and Map Set Up For A Three Player Game
allowing The Federation, Klingons, and Romulans in the same game.

No details have been released on the last two. Of course you also get Romulan ships, cards, and counters, along with a few more Mission Cards, Board Tiles, Encounter Cards, etc. The packaging is somewhat improved and less component damage is to be expected than with the original core game. Be very careful removing your new board tiles from the hexagonal insert! There is no diagram showing the position of the ships in their plastic enclosures, as there was in the Core Set.

6. Alternate Federation and Klingon Ship Cards
There are also apparently some variant ship cards that allow the first two races access to Sabotage missions. Okay, late breaking news as it occurs: the two ships are the USS Excelsior and the Klingon Kronos One. Because of changes to their Mission stats, they can only perform some of the new Espionage/Saboteur missions.

Note: as of yesterday, there is a copy of the Additional Rules Sheet from the expansion posted in the Files section of boardgamegeek, and rules questions are flying around there hot and heavy.

(Edit) This is it! My pal will bring my game over in about two hours! We'll 2 player our brains out. Then tomorrow (Friday) Sherman Davies will drop by, so we can 3 Player our brains out. Yay!

Hopefully the next post will be able to talk about the actual reception and play of the new expansion. So far reports from earlier recipients say that the designers have hit another home run, and that the Romulans play more differently than the other two races are from each other, and are lots of fun.

Last edited by chas; November 15th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Played my first three player game with the new Romulan Expansion yesterday!

First a happy note on components received, which arrived complete and undamaged (some on boardgamegeek had missing ones or damage problems). In fact I got extra stuff, or at least a few things that were not noted on the Contents list on the new rules sheet. I include this info because I don't know if some represent a fluke or a standard update--sometimes they change the component mix given in games AFTER they print up a parts list.

* Something nobody online has mentioned yet is that in a move to bring the Klingons up to snuff as cloakers with the new Romulans (and new easier cloaking rules), three new pairs of cloaking tokens for the Klingons numbered 5-7 plus more Sensor Echoes are included, so the Klingons can now cloak up to 7 ships at a time, as the Romulans can! I'm sure these are standard for everyone. In fact, where 3 additional Echoes would have been enough, I received 14.

*Instead of 30 Romulan/Federation control markers, I got 91 of them. Well, one can always use more.

*"System Tokens" are mentioned on the list with no quantity. I got 12. These are the round markers that add plus or minus to ship system stats individually during the course of the game. The back to back printing on these was much improved; changing the same system at different rates on the same token instead of different systems being modified on the same token; which they should have done in the Core Set for easier counter sorting and storage. Maybe they'll do that in new core boxes from now on.

*The six new Victory Point tokens are new denominations, being +3/+4 VP instead of the previous +1/+2 VP. We welcome these for consolidation of player victory piles. Nice work.

Now on to the actual game. Special guest star Sherman Davies dropped by for his first STFC game as the new Romulans. We figured since he was a newbie, we'd give him the advantage of the currently mysterious race, as we wouldn't be sure yet how to deal with them! In fact, he placed a Saboteur aboard each of our bigger ships on the first turn just to freak us out--and he did. Double drat those sneaky Romulans! But since he didn't end up activating them, they actually helped us out, as you get crew bonuses for them--until they go for their sabotage specialty--they are at first acting as if they are loyal Klingons or Feds. I played Klingons and my usual opponent the Federation, which is what we've been doing for a while now.

In setting up my fleet, I got the "Alternate B-Version" Klingon ship Kronos One. Although it lost its original special ability (which makes it one of my favorite ships), it got a new one, which is a bonus to reveal cloaked ships. I never used this, since I was 'allied' to the Romulans all game. However, this and the modified Fed ship (not in this game) take some of the new Purple Espionage Missions, so the older factions can draw from this new deck a bit. One of the Purples I drew gave an extra VP for "De Cloaking and Attacking with two ships in the same turn"--in fact they did so together as a Task Force, destroying the almost helpless science Fed ship Yosemite, which I then got 2 VPs for instead of one, according to the new rules as my first destroyed enemy ship. The Klingon advantage with their many combat missions being that they get all kinds of extra points when in combat for "honorable behavior," etc.

SD and I both encountered the more quickly expanding Federation, who didn't always stop to scan new tiles first, and managed not to take encounter damage while doing so. The Romulans got hit as soon as they tried this themselves! I just lagged behind in Exploration, safely scanning away. The Fed ended up confronting us both and finally fighting a two front war. Since he was ahead for the whole game, we left each other alone and kept up the pressure on him. Naturally, we were both cloaking like crazy, exploiting the new easier rules, which work very well and simply, but give a cloaker new options (Decloak- Attack-Emergency Re-cloak all on the same turn, etc. Nasty stuff).

One of our own local pet beefs is that in our games we almost never get the two Wormholes (which connect to each other no matter where they are when revealed on the board, as in many space games) out in the same game, of when we do they appear adjacent, which makes them useless. The new expansion provides, as I hoped, a third one to boost the chances of them appearing and providing special distance movement. We groaned when a tile changing encounter morphed the first one discovered out of the game early on (it was replaced by another tile). A second was discovered, but then had nothing to connect with. Turned out the third was also on the board, but it was out on the fringe and never explored (I found it by Scanning but decided not to open it up by exploration. It led to the Romulan home territory, and I didn't want to make my ally nervous. After all, if you can go somewhere from a wormhole near you, another player can show up suddenly going the other way, right into your own back yard).

I followed my usual tactic of cycling (discarding) difficult missions like crazy, and then picking up Influence missions. I was the only player to get through his original (random) Missions Deck and choose from the central decks sorted by type. Luckily I picked up three of the Conditional ones, which allowed me to get some fast victory points just at the end of the game, and almost catch up to those annoying Feds, who are always "hemming us in, and cutting off our vital trade routes"--at least according to Klingon dialogue from The Original Series.

My pal did a sterling job staying in the lead while fighting both of us off. Final score: Federation 13 (for the win), Klingons 12, Romulans 8. Boy, was it fun! I now officially recommend the Romulan Expansion. Its "normal" discounted price right now is about $60. But you'd better hurray: my pal's vendor started with 60 copies and was down to 7 of them in only three days... One of the good things about it is its continuing to balance new factors by letting the older factions get a taste of the other player's abilities. In the Core Set, you got a Federation ship that could cloak, The Defiant, which is correct according to DS9 Canon. Likewise the additional Klingon cloaking tokens provided, ability for one ship to take the usually Romulan Espionage missions, etc. That's good design work.

Interestingly, the 3 player setup doesn't include the "Key Number" (Fleet Size/Victory Points needed to win). However, with that number of tiles used we figured it as 13 in the usual ratio, which was the "Medium One" size we'd been playing all along (all quoted phrases mine rather than the game's).

Today, as SD is busy but my pal is staying over, we'll be playing two player with each of us as the Romulans for a game (unless Taeblewalker drops by, who has also expressed an interest. But he was evacuated from City Island, and then returned, so I don't know how much hurricane damage he suffered and is dealing with, as he's barely above sea level there. Most of us New Yorkers live on islands--Brooklyn is part of Long Island--but sometimes its good to live on Brooklyn Heights).

Well, since I'm up earlier than my pal today, I'm off to a first read through of those the Romulan Command Cards, Ship Cards, and purple Espionage Missions. (He was reading his own copies on the subway ride over here yesterday). More Romulan game play reports to come...

Of course, its too early to speculate much on future expansions. But the nice new painted ships expanding the ST Tactics game (which itself has barely enough rules to call it a game) seem to indicate a happy future of expansions when Wizkids trots out the same molds for STFC. Hooray!

Last edited by chas; November 16th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games