Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM

CanScape has disabled reputation
How do you build your hives and glaciers into your maps?

Just curious...do the majority of folks here build their hives and/or glaciers on TOP of terrain tiles, or do they "build them in" to the surrounding tiles?

Just wondering, because usually I just place them on top. BUT...they technically sit on 'half height' tiles such as swamp water or ice, which means that if you build them 'into' the tiles, their height is reduced by one, technically. Since the special swamp water or ice tiles with holes in them for placing these features has, in effect, no height of their own, it would make a slight difference.

I personally just put them on top of the terrain. But this leads me to another thought...

I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the FAQ, but when you simply place plain water tiles ON a land tile, then since there's no height difference, this water wouldn't impede movement as it normally would, would it? I thought that the main reason you need to spend an extra movement point to exit water was because most water tiles are built into the surrounding tiles, making them essentially one level lower...which would cost an extra movement point, just like any other time a figure would move to a higher hex.

Any thoughts?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!
Re: How do you build your hives and glaciers into your maps?

My thoughts on glaciers and the Hive:
I usually build my Hives (when they are set on the map, which is rare) into the srrounding terrain. With almost all half-hexes (water, lava, swampwater), I set them into the terrain, because it makes more sense (although I do break this rule sometimes for lava). Ice, on the other hand, makes plenty of sense to be sitting on terrain, and so sometimes I build with the ice on top. And whereas my Hives always build in (they sit on if I draft them, of course) the terrain, my glaciers often don't. I will surround glaciers with other tiles often, but not necessarily on all sides. Check out Monwhitt Ruins, Nothund Glacier, and Donstark Northlands on my custom maps thread to actually see what I mean.

Now in terms of the water on the terrain, I would say you still have to stop, but since you're not climbing out of the water, you wouldn't have to count that going up when you start your next move. That makes the most sense to me.

As for actually placing water like that--I would reccomend you don't. Placing water in the terrain as opposed to on it may be a bit more difficult to work out without a plan prior to the build, but placing the water on the terrain is much less aesthetically pleasing and frankly doesn't make much sense.
There's my two cents' worth, at least.

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!

"Someone, somewhere, is torturing babies with an army of Marro Stingers."
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Protofury is correct regarding water tiles on the terrain. You still have to stop your movement once you're on that hex.

Mostly for aesthetics - and to some degree, stability - I build the Hive and glaciers into the terrain, not on the terrain.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the FAQ, but when you simply place plain water tiles ON a land tile, then since there's no height difference, this water wouldn't impede movement as it normally would, would it? I thought that the main reason you need to spend an extra movement point to exit water was because most water tiles are built into the surrounding tiles, making them essentially one level lower...which would cost an extra movement point, just like any other time a figure would move to a higher hex.
You are correct. Water tiles have 0 height. When the water tile is placed on top of tiles and you don't have to climb to move off of the tile it is just the movement off the tile. The rule to end your movement when you move onto the water tile still stands as the other responses have already indicated.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

I build them into the terrain.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Build them into the terrain unless I'm using the Hive, then it sits on top but if it's just a LOS blocker, then into the terrain.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

I think you'd still have to stop on the water, but you just wou;dn't have to spend the extra move getting out.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

jotun7 Woo who?

I sometimes build my hives/glaciers into the scene, but, most of the time I make the hive on the top of a mountain. It makes it look scarier up there.

"For HIS honor and glory!"
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledpie View Post
I think you'd still have to stop on the water, but you just wou;dn't have to spend the extra move getting out.
Come to think of it, I think I've been playing a very simple rule incorrectly regarding water! If I use a two space figure, that was the easiest way to not worry about water penalties...if it was only a small gap of water, of course. But I don't think we ever apply the height difference when exiting the water; Q9 would just walk over those spaces without spending the extra move point!....oh well, could be worse. I don't yet know how, but it could be.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Whether I place pieces high or low I always build them into the map. I think it looks better that way.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

I'm trying to picture a body of water built onto the terrain rather than into it. Would you get something like a mud puddle or a pond? (Sometimes when I use HS tiles for command and colors wargames, I build rivers, etc on top of the terrain hexes because it's quicker and easier. It's not as visually attractive, though.)

Not one step backwards!
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM

elyk Woo who?

Don't have glaciers, but I would build them into the map. Usually I build maps without usuing the hives, but when I use them I build them into the map, surrounded by swamp water.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's