Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM

morgost has disabled reputation
All I was trying to say is that there is more of an importance to it besides the complexity of the game. Because of Heroscape I have had the opportunity to meet some interesting people that other wise I don’t think I would have met. Besides that, the hours of off the wall conversations that goes into playing until 3 in the morning. Spending time with people (family and friends) and having fun, instead of going to the bar and killing a few brain cells. I guess what I was trying to get at is that I just think there’s more to it then just strategy. This is something that the entire family can get into.
So sorry if I came off as rude I just though that this thread was about the importance of heroscape, meaning the impact that it has had or will continue to have on our lives and what it has meant to us.
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:12 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorbilbo
I'm sorry if I get too cynical and skeptical at times...

You're only supposed to get like this after 30 or so years of disappointment and disillusionment... And I'm just 14...
No, I just really enjoy the game, and when you put it in such cold and unfeeling terms I just don't know what to think
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:46 AM

Sagart has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgost
All I was trying to say is that there is more of an importance to it besides the complexity of the game. Because of Heroscape I have had the opportunity to meet some interesting people that other wise I don’t think I would have met. Besides that, the hours of off the wall conversations that goes into playing until 3 in the morning. Spending time with people (family and friends) and having fun, instead of going to the bar and killing a few brain cells. I guess what I was trying to get at is that I just think there’s more to it then just strategy. This is something that the entire family can get into.
So sorry if I came off as rude I just though that this thread was about the importance of heroscape, meaning the impact that it has had or will continue to have on our lives and what it has meant to us.
That's fine by me. Though being fine with me probably won't get you much support. Got to go along with the good Reverend though. This is a place where people come to ***** [can I say *****?] and moan and just talk about one of their favorite hobbies. If you don't like it, just move on. Or, then again, say you don't like all the yack-id-e-yack if you want. What he heck. If that's your opinion, go ahead and say it.

Kind of odd though, sounds like you're saying that it's more than a game while I'm saying that that's all it is, just a game.

Oh yah, and by the way, fáilte romhat. Welcome aboard.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
If I may. Without putting words in her mouth, I believe that the point morgost is trying to make is not only valid in terms of this Heroscape site but also perfectly valid in this very conversation.

It seems to me we have two schools of thought present in our current conversation. (Sticking with my theme from above I will be making movie references.)

Our first school of thought on what makes Heroscape enjoyable and / or what makes it special we have the Mr. Nolan approach. Mr. Nolan is attempting to measure the greatness of Heroscape on the J. Evans Pritchard scale by plotting it's importance, artfullness and complexity to arrive at a number. We can then use this number to compare it to other games or other activies we have measured using the Prichard scale to determine how our hobby of choice measures up.

Our second school of thought is Mr. Keating approach. Mr. Keating takes one look at the Pritchard scale and cries "excrement".

With a little creative editing here is what Mr. Keating has to say on the subject.

Quote:
We don't "play Heroscape" because it's cute. We "play Heroscape" because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But "Heroscape", beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
So in a discussion about the importance / artfullness of Heroscape I believe we can make room for both opinions. Both are completely valid and both are neither right nor wrong. They are just the opinions / views held by our fellow Heroscapers.

Offering her opinions against the Pritchard scale approach, does not mean morgost is any less of a fan of Heroscape. It just means she is standing on her desk observing the conversation and has a different perspective.

That's what I think anyway.

Bannister

PS Dead Poets Society

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM

iloveurine has disabled reputation
Finally...Heroscape philosophy, an ontological analysis. LOL. But I just hope Heroscape doesnt get to the point of getting occultic and metaphysical.

And yeah, I love the Heroscape hexes so much. They're indeed so scientific that the hexes fit so well like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Hahahaha!

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Next week's topic: HeroScape hexes and benzene molecules, an accidental coincidence or proof of intelligent design?
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM

iloveurine has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Next week's topic: HeroScape hexes and benzene molecules, an accidental coincidence or proof of intelligent design?
Haha! I hope that topic won't breed extreme Heroscape creationists and evolutionists. Hahahaha! Way to go, Rev!

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: The Importance of HeroScape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
This means two things: First, HeroScape will never get old. Even if new units (may heaven forbid) ceased today, the game would continue to be new and to evolve, not in it’s written rules, but in the living play of the game. And, second, HeroScape, if let loose, like an Andromeda virus, will take over the whole world. I’m waiting for that to happen. It’s going to be fun. And the game will go on and on.

Of course, I may have gotten this all wrong.
Sill applicable almost 4 years after the fact. Even with no new units, I imagine the metagame will evolve for at least a few years as people discover new nuances to the game.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Fanscape will make sure that new units (just as solidly play-tested as the officials) will be available for play.

Old May 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

It does look like there is still a future, and for that I've very happy and grateful.
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Bumping this thread, as it seems just as relevant today as when posted. It also raises (re-raises?) the idea of playing Heroscape being an art. It has never seemed so more than now to me. This site is a palette for the creation of our own Heroscape works of art. Every map and scenario, and every army built for them, is a work of art. Some are simple, and brutally utilitarian, some complexly chaotic - armies and the contexts of their play, but, good art or bad, they are all art. Winning is the result of certain combinations of elements from the palette, not the objective of creation. Playing well in whatever context is an art.
Old December 18th, 2013, 03:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks for bumping it, ko, interesting read.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion