Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:10 PM

TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby!
A look into Heroscape name pronunciation and backstory

Hi all. We create and bring to life a Heroscape stop motion series called Tales of Valhalla: The Aftermath Chronicles. I plan to post more things in the future but for my first post we will go over something that me and my voice actors struggle with all the time. Me and Majora's Incarnation (Aka Jeremy) talked about how to exactly pronounce the names of the characters in the heroscape universe. A lot of useful information in this video. Enjoy!

Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: A look into Heroscape name pronunciation and backstory

Starting to watch this (rather listening to it at 2x speed while I am doing some clean up around the place) - pretty interesting. I'll still have to watch the Tales Of Valhalla when I have time.
Old October 4th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, I was doing a lot of research and learned a lot of things about Old Norse dialect and how the names should sound if they were spoken that way. Course it's all player preference though XD

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:01 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
Yeah, I was doing a lot of research and learned a lot of things about Old Norse dialect and how the names should sound if they were spoken that way. Course it's all player preference though XD
I admit I was surprised when Raelin pronounced it Yandar. Especially since the Airborne pronounced it Jandar. That kind of makes sense, as there would probably be some difference between races, but I'd think Jandar would clear up any pronunciation difference himself.

~TGRF.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:02 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When me and the Director/Producer were discussing plotlines we thought it would be a neat way to show the culture gap between planets and races with pronunciation, but the Valkyrie actually saying how to say his own name would definitely make a lot of sense as well, I can see it going both ways.

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:34 PM

TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby! TalesOfValhallaOfficial rolls all skulls baby!

I think Jandar is just very polite about how his name is pronounced differently from other races. He is just that cool of a guy. But then again I may want to make a rewrite for seasons 2-3.....
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:11 AM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
When me and the Director/Producer were discussing plotlines we thought it would be a neat way to show the culture gap between planets and races with pronunciation, but the Valkyrie actually saying how to say his own name would definitely make a lot of sense as well, I can see it going both ways.
I picked up on the race gap and thought it was a cool addition. It went a long way to helping immerse the viewer in the setting. Definitely something to continue, if not with pronunciation, then definitely something else.

~TGRF.
Old October 5th, 2016, 07:25 AM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

This was interesting, not only for the proper pronunciation, but to know how you pronounce things in english. Being spanish, the names I'm used to sound way different :P
Old October 5th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
This was interesting, not only for the proper pronunciation, but to know how you pronounce things in english. Being spanish, the names I'm used to sound way different :P
The cool thing I found out is that Old Norse uses the same vowel sounds as Spanish, so you can totally read those names in Spanish and get a closer sound to Old Norse than English does

Old December 7th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've started listening to this. It sounds like, @Majora's Incarnation , that you have done quite a bit of research on this, but are you guys punking us on some of these pronunciations?

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; December 7th, 2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I actually double-checked to make sure the video wasn't originally posted April 1st.
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
I've started listening to this. It sounds like, @Majora's Incarnation , that you have done quite a bit of research on this, but are you guys punking us on some of these pronunciations?
I looked up and listened to people speak Old Norse, and how the sounds were made, and specifically how they compared it to the Spanish vowel system, it made it easier for me to understand it that way.

I did as much research as I could on all the other names, but I did point out that English has its ways of pronouncing names, in the case for Jandar, the J makes a Y sound in Old Norse, but it has been repeated in things like the webisodes as Jandar with a J.

Given how the Old Norse would pronounce it and how the characters pronounced it, I wanted to point out it was a possible indication of culture differences between worlds. Although I'm sure it's not the intention, the idea I wanted to suggest is that different people from different worlds would say names differently according to the customs of their dialect and accent and we thought it would be cool to capture that in the character interactions.

So in a nutshell, sure there are specific ways for the names, but in any event, depending on the world, time, and setting, the way to say it would be different so any pronunciation could go in a multiverse context. I wanted to make it seem that way despite the best way people could say it if they had the prior knowledge of such, aka in the scene where Raelin says Jandar with a Y and the Airborne Elite earlier called him Jandar with a J.

Thanks for asking!

- MI

Old December 8th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
I looked up and listened to people speak Old Norse, and how the sounds were made, and specifically how they compared it to the Spanish vowel system, it made it easier for me to understand it that way.
[...]
So in a nutshell, sure there are specific ways for the names, but in any event, depending on the world, time, and setting, the way to say it would be different so any pronunciation could go in a multiverse context. I wanted to make it seem that way despite the best way people could say it if they had the prior knowledge of such, aka in the scene where Raelin says Jandar with a Y and the Airborne Elite earlier called him Jandar with a J.
Thanks. Yes, you were very clear, but as I implied, some of the supplied pronunciations seemed counter-intuitive (although I have no problem believing it should be, as you said, YAN-dar for example) and I wondered if you were using your pronunciation of other words as a wink to us that you're pulling our legs in certain spots.

For example, both of you consistently even said the word pronunciation (prə-nŭn'-sē-ā′-shən) as if it were pronounciation (prə-noun'-sē-ā′-shən). At first, I chalked this up to a regionalism (we've all got them!), but later I wasn't so sure and after I heard the talk about Einar, I started developing a theory that maybe you two were sometimes joking around a bit. In part of that Einar discussion you said, "The E-I in Einar is pronounced liked the A-I in rain so [...] that's EH-nar." I don't pronounce "rain" as "rehn" (rĕn, homophone of "wren") and neither did you. We both say it like "rayn" (rān, homophone of reign) so I assume Einar should be AY-nar (ā′-när or perhaps ān′-är), not EH-nar (ĕ′-när or perhaps ĕn′-är) using the "rain rule," right? But I think you consistently said EH-nar. Perhaps that was just an error and not a joke? Or maybe I just need better ears! I was listening in a noisy environment...

In any event, I am very much enjoying Tales of Valhalla and looking forward to more. I'm sure your contributions make it that much better and it's really cool that you guys are paying this much attention to detail!

Last edited by Xorlof; December 8th, 2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Time for me to get a thesaurus. I wrote "much" three times in that last paragraph!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction