Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 29th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Lazy Orang's Classic Customs - Fiends of Folklore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Bentley's cool - Rise from the Bog and Lure to the Grave are both kinds of powers that I really dig, so having them on one unit is cool. Is it intended that he can lure someone who's already adjacent?

My biggest problem with the design is probably the last line of Lure to the Grave - feels really easy to miss.

The Pukwudgies have a lot going on. I feel like I'd constantly be re-reading that card to remember how it all worked. Really cool mythology pull, though.
Thanks, chap! Yep, he is intended to be able lure people who are adjacent - though admittedly in that case it's less 'luring' and more 'catching them off guard for the defensive penalty'. Didn't want to overly encourage luring more prey before he's finished with whoever he's already ensnared. I've never had any issues remembering the last line of LtG and it's always felt pretty clear to me, but I admit that as the designer I kind of have the advantage there!
Yeah, the Pukwudgies likely do take a few rereads to get right. After a couple of games though it becomes pretty easy to remember how they work, though - it helps that most of the complexity's in the disappearance thing, the other two powers are pretty simple with one of them being a reuse from the Deepwyrm Drow (admittedly with a different number). It's worth the added complexity for their fun, 'Swiss-army knife' playstyle as well, at least to m taste.

And without further ado:

"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present."
~ Francis Bacon

Okay, we're down to our last three. Next up, Emelia Rhoderyk, a tormented ghost related to a certain heroic dragon rider (to find out how, see the bio). My original reason for designing this unit was because I saw the figure and thought it was beautiful. I ended up with one of the spirits I'm actually oddly happiest with.
Soul Weapon is, obviously, taken from the Death Knights, as I thought it would nicely represent her scythe. Spectral Phase is taken, word for word, from a custom called The Baron Otto von Griben by @justjohn , which is sadly no longer available on this site, though I fortunately was able to print a (tweaked) version before it went down. (Incidentally, on the off-chance @justjohn sees this or anyone has any of his customs saved, I would love to see his cards reposted and archived - he had some great stuff that I admired and pored over years ago when I was lurking and it's a crime that it's all just disappeared).
Moths To a Flame, though, is, in the end, obviously the main hook of the design. When designing this card, I knew that her lantern needed to be the thematic focal point, but it took me a while to figure out how. Lanterns and lights are commonly used to lure people in folklore, but I didn't want to do another generic luring/pulling ability - I already have Bentley and Annie, and it's likely they won't be the last figures in the Spirit faction with that sort of ability (a potential future
will-o'-the-wisp common hero springs to mind). As such, I did some research, and found that the lantern was also, unsurprisingly, used as a guiding symbol. I quickly devised a way I could represent it acting in both ways in one power, and thus, Moths To A Flame - by simultaneously luring opponents' figures and mobilising your own, Emelia does a good job of controlling a battlefield, but isn't too hard to take down. Forcing enemies to take leaving engagements can be quite deadly, though...
The last thing I'll add is just that I'm quite happy with the paint job I managed to give her.

Card by @mac122

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making the usual acknowledgements to @Soundwarp SG-1 . Tomorrow, a card I can't really claim credit for...

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; October 29th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards